!!! WARNING Poundland USB Phone charger just melted !!! - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

!!! WARNING Poundland USB Phone charger just melted !!!

Teqnophile Avatar
8y, 6m agoPosted 8 years, 6 months ago
I have been using a usb universal mobile phone charger for a couple of weeks now, last night i charged my phone using it.

this morning I turned on my laptop and could smell some plastic burning, I checked my computer and found the usb charger melting whilst connected to my laptop.

I think if i had left it any longer it would have caught fire, it was very very hot when I pulled it out.

Now I want to warn everyone about this.

Who should I contact ?
Other Links From PoundLand:
Teqnophile Avatar
8y, 6m agoPosted 8 years, 6 months ago
Options

All Comments

(15) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#1
start with poundland
#2
pics?
#3
Yes agreed, tell them ASAP & I would of thought if you phoned trading standards they would inform or tell you who to inform next.
banned#4
Yeah, Trading Standards will want to know
#5
take pics... do you have proof you got it from there? Call them so they can take it off the shelves:| that way this wont happen to anyone else.
#6
i was told a while ago never to buy these cheap univeral charger as they have been known to melt, but i have a car charger that was cheap. I dont think i will dare leave it now i may have no car left to come back to
#7
also get a lighter and melt the port on your comupter/laptop and make sure you tell them the cable did it too, then get a new laptop free :)
#9
When it was charging was it coiled? I'm sure they have to be fully extended for safety and that the manual probably states that, this also applies to domestic reeled power extension leads as well, the coil produces more heat like an electro-magnet.
#10
any damage to the laptop?
#11
at the time of the usb charger melting it was coiled up, but it wasnt charging.

I thought my laptop was melting.
#12
Soz n that but electrical stuff from poundland should not be in your house even lol!!! I told me mam off for buying a 4 way extension cable from there, i mean come on...how good is the quality gonna be on this stuff!!! Sure if its on sale it should be safe i agree......but lest remember these things come from factoriesin the far east and are made as quickly and cheaply as possible!!!
banned#13
still....they have to be safety tested before there allowed to go on sale, therefore they will have to take them off sale

don't we still have the kite mark for this stuff still?
#14
I made the mistake of buying a poundland microphone for my PC.

Basically, the wires in the back came loose and I got an electric shock. Not a big one, just one to make me jump. Taught me a lesson.

And, it is true with any electricals that the wire must not be coiled up when you have it plugged in. The heat builds up in the coil and it is very dangerous, even with good quality products (this is why good quality products generally avoid a coiling system)
#15
Lucky everything still standing and you caught it in time.
We had a faulty plug socket once in a flat,I heard a buzzing type sound from it and I looked and the plug that was in socket was about to melt and catch alight or something.

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!