Wiring something up and had a shock, now i have pain ?? :( - HotUKDeals
We use cookie files to improve site functionality and personalisation. By continuing to use HUKD, you accept our cookie and privacy policy.
Get the HUKD app free at Google Play

Search Error

An error occurred when searching, please try again!

Login / Sign UpSubmit

Wiring something up and had a shock, now i have pain ?? :(

aircanman Avatar
7y, 11m agoPosted 7 years, 11 months ago
Hey all, I was wiring up my extractor fan yesterday, I pulled out the fuse for it, and started wiring it up.

There was a yellow, blue and red wire. Earth, Live and Neutral

I grabbed the yellow and blue wire and had quite a bad shock. I was on a ladder but managed to let go of the wire. After research, the fuse only isolated the red live wire, the yellow wasnt an earth, it was a switch live, wired directly off the light which was on!! :(

Anyhoo, I did a couple of runs up and down the stairs and i have mild chest pains which are worrying me. What have i done!!!
aircanman Avatar
7y, 11m agoPosted 7 years, 11 months ago
Options

All Comments

(18) Jump to unreadPost a comment
Comments/page:
#1
Your heart could have gone into defribulation meaning that it is not beating correctly. If the pain continues seek medical advice.
#2
if you got an electric shock from mains electric it is worth going to the nearest a&e edpt for an ECG. electric shocks can cause disturbance of electrical conduction across the heart (probably not whats causing you pain) so its worth having an ecg to check this. I would go now and get this looked at, dont leave it!
best wishes
#3
Why are you posting on a forum???

Either get yourself down to A&E or call NHS Direct (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ - 0845 4647). Chest pains could be cardio related so you'll need to get yourself checked out ASAP.
#4
Glad you are ok, but just to be safe call NHS DIRECT [url]www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk[/url] ,and next time get a qualified electician to do such things ok
#5
Xb0xGuru
Why are you posting on a forum???

Either get yourself down to A&E or call NHS Direct (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ - 0845 4647). Chest pains could be cardio related so you'll need to get yourself checked out ASAP.


i dunno. just thought i would see if what i was experiencing was worth worrying about. :(

I need to have myself checked out then.
#6
Go to the emergency dept of nearest hospital now
#7
lol you diy ers

you have what is called a 3 core and earth .
earth sounds like it has been cut off short to within the sheafing......(double insulated fan no earthing required )
also old colours


1 will be perm live
1 will be a switch live
1 will be a neutral
(this is how it should be wired but i still could be wrong, as without being there to test it i could be wrong)

"""" i think you had better leave it alone and get a spark out to sort it for you """"":thinking:

and thank god that you only received a minor shock ......get yourself checked over if your unsure
#8
Agree with others, do not waste your time and possibly your LIFE by posting on here.

GET TO A&E NOW.
#9
put a 40w light bulb in ya mouth, if it doesn't light up ya ok :thumbsup:
#10
ooohhh, nasty one, i agree, get to the docs straight away!!!
[helper]#11
If you really do think the pain is caused by your heart, then get yourself to A & E immediately. It could just be muscular pain - you might have pulled a muscle when grabbing for the ladder when you had your shock.

Worthwhile getting professional advice though.

If in doubt always switch off at the mains or use a circuit tester to check if a cable is live, especially on lighting circuits.
#12
owlass;3889072
put a 40w light bulb in ya mouth, if it doesn't light up ya ok :thumbsup:

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Hope OP is ok now :thumbsup:
#13
avoint
Your heart could have gone into defribulation meaning that it is not beating correctly. If the pain continues seek medical advice.


I think you meant (ventricular) fibrillation. Defibrillation is what occurs to stop the heart momentarily allowing the natural electric impulses to 'kick-start' the heart again. In any case, if it was this serious, you can bet he wouldn't have been running up and down stairs - least of all typing on a forum!

Still, it would be nice to know if the OPs ok. Anyone heard from him?
#14
no........
#15
Come on it's the nhs, he's still in the waiting area.
#16
davelfc
Come on it's the nhs, he's still in the waiting area.


lol, its nice for the concern. I diddnt go to the docs or hosp (bit scared if I am honest)

but the chest pain is only when I breathe in now, and I have just finished a cold so it may be a mild chest infection or something.

Hopefully anyway, my heart sounds ok? :s
#17
aircanman
lol, its nice for the concern. I diddnt go to the docs or hosp (bit scared if I am honest)

but the chest pain is only when I breathe in now, and I have just finished a cold so it may be a mild chest infection or something.

Hopefully anyway, my heart sounds ok? :s


No offense, but it's stupid to but a fear of the hospital over your own health concerns. if the chest pains were not there before the shock, you may have damaged something. Call NHS Direct if you don't want to see anyone personally - the number was in my first reply. The only person to judge if you're ok is a medical professional who can check you out properly.
#18
coil your body in copper wire and take a walk through a scrap yard, good times

Post a Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

...OR log in with your social account

...OR comment using your social account

Thanks for your comment! Keep it up!
We just need to have a quick look and it will be live soon.
The community is happy to hear your opinion! Keep contributing!