I thought this would be a more unbiased place to ask this question instead of a games website.
I recently did the http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86060
"buy cheap PS3 games and trade in for twice as much store credit" thing, and have now got a £280 gamestation voucher.
But I can't make up my mind what to get. I already have a wii and I used to play more mature games on my PC, but I haven't really done that for months as I use my computer more for work now and would like to keep it that way.
I think the current gen of consoles easily compare with (or better) PC games - shame about the keyboard and mouse though - so I think that's what I'll spend my voucher on. But what to get???
The price doesn't really come into it too much (but obviously gives the xbox a few bonus points) they are quite similarly priced if you rule out the xbox core pack. I could go for the new "elite" xbox, but then the price is even closer, and it seems like a large premium for a bigger harddrive and HDMI. I know it's only £30 more, but considering the package deals that gamestation do and second-hand prices it works out a lot more.
btw, I have a HD plasma with HDMI/component/VGA etc, so am looking forward to some good HD graphics. :)
anyway, this is my thinking:
xbox 360 pros
1. Big games catalogue, (will take it home and have fun with straight away)
2. "Killer apps" (such as gears of war)
3. Cheap games
4. live service
5. bit cheaper
xbox 360 cons
1. Looks poo, elite or not (my opinion)
2. "ring of death" (elite apparently fixes this though, if I pay the extra)
3. no HD media drive built in (the addon will add to the cost and make the whole system look even more poo - plus blueray will prob win the "format war".
1. Would look lovely under my TV
2. Future investment?? more powerfull??? ... Don't know about this really, it might end up plummetting in price and the PS3 may never be able to better the 360's larger graphics memory.
3. Built in blueray :-D
4. Errr... It costs more, so it'll be errr... better. ...Won't it?
1. **** current games catalogue (nothing inspires me too much atm - maybe resistance and darkness, but darkness is cross format anyway.
2. comparisons of dual format games so far seem to favour the 360
3. Repeated for importance: **** current games.
I'm kind of leaning towards the 360 at the moment, but there's a little voice saying "are you crazy?? You could be getting a PS3!! it's obviously going to be superior!! ...And has built in blueray!"
What do you guys think?
I went for an xbox 360 elite in the end.