Posted 22 April 2022

Petrol Lawn Mower Suggestions (Lidl Parkside Any Good?)

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on a petrol lawn mower, please?

Something sub-£200, I don't think I need a self propelled model as my front and back garden measure about 8x5m each.

My local Lidl had these in today for £149: lidl.co.uk/p/g…483 - They had something similar on HUKD last year for £99 which went hot. This looks like an upgraded version which fixes some of the complaints (steel base, 7 adjustable cut heights, etc).

Or should I hold off for a Honda or Hyundai mower second hand? Maybe even a good condition Briggs & Stratton Mountfield for £70-100, would that do me wrong? I find it hard to judge how old the second mowers are... Might end up with a load of junk.

Thanks for any advice!
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    i wouldn't buy honda , too expensive - any tool with a Briggs & Stratton engine is best . A self propelled mower is fine if you don't have a lot of trees / hedges / garden ornaments to negotiate - if you do , you may find the extra weight is a problem ? , i have a Lidl 450 push mower [ with B&S engine ] cost £139 last year , very light , easy to start and manoeuvre ! , Some people have queried the cost of having the blade sharpened ?, buy an inexpensive 115mm angle grinder , circa £20 and di it yourself
    We've had many mowers over the years but the trusty Honda has been the one that has outlived them all. Don't ask me why my OH needs more than one but he does - we do have a few acres but only 3/4 acre of cut grass.

If you can get self propelled it will help as it's more about the levels in your garden than the size. Pushing a petrol mower uphill (even just a small incline) is not easy.
    I'd second the above. I have an Etesia which has a Honda engine and I think it will last my lifetime anyway. You can't go wrong with anything that is Honda powered. You can buy cheap but as the saying goes... You may end up buying twice. I also have a Honda powered strimmer and likewise, it has never skipped a beat. I don't imagine ever having to upgrade/replace them.
    Rusty8223/04/2022 08:18

I'd second the above. I have an Etesia which has a Honda engine and I …I'd second the above. I have an Etesia which has a Honda engine and I think it will last my lifetime anyway. You can't go wrong with anything that is Honda powered. You can buy cheap but as the saying goes... You may end up buying twice. I also have a Honda powered strimmer and likewise, it has never skipped a beat. I don't imagine ever having to upgrade/replace them.

Found similar with my Mountfield/Briggs & Stratton engined mower which eventually fell apart due to rust. (Would have lasted longer if I'd looked after it ). Do you get your Honda mower serviced btw?
    Xippi23/04/2022 09:10

Found similar with my Mountfield/Briggs & Stratton engined mower which …Found similar with my Mountfield/Briggs & Stratton engined mower which eventually fell apart due to rust. (Would have lasted longer if I'd looked after it ). Do you get your Honda mower serviced btw?

I haven't yet no but I do plan on. Mainly for the cutting blade getting sharpened I think. The engine seems fine but when I phoned the local service place recently they said I'd have to leave it with them for a month which put me off(they were just so busy and had 80 mowers in at the time). Will likely look again at some point but it still works well years later so not sure I really need to. I just stay on top of basic maintenance and cleaning and it's been flawless.
    Rusty8223/04/2022 11:35

I haven't yet no but I do plan on. Mainly for the cutting blade getting …I haven't yet no but I do plan on. Mainly for the cutting blade getting sharpened I think. The engine seems fine but when I phoned the local service place recently they said I'd have to leave it with them for a month which put me off(they were just so busy and had 80 mowers in at the time). Will likely look again at some point but it still works well years later so not sure I really need to. I just stay on top of basic maintenance and cleaning and it's been flawless.

That's interesting - thanks. I started getting it serviced regularly during winter and found the servicing costs mounting up.. I was debating buying a cheaper mower as a 5 years 'disposable' purchase and just run it into the ground before replacing it like for like. I'll have to think about this
    Xippi23/04/2022 14:05

That's interesting - thanks. I started getting it serviced regularly …That's interesting - thanks. I started getting it serviced regularly during winter and found the servicing costs mounting up.. I was debating buying a cheaper mower as a 5 years 'disposable' purchase and just run it into the ground before replacing it like for like. I'll have to think about this

Yeah the service costs seem overly high in my opinion. I was quoted the same for my strimmer as I was for the mower so not sure it makes economical sense, certainly not to do it very often, maybe once a decade would suffice! Other than the blade sharpening I can do it all myself I would imagine though. I think it will just work forever more, it seems bullet proof and has been going a long time already so maybe I'll not bother in the future.
    When will this be reduced in liddle as I don’t want to pay this much
    Must admit I have a Einhell self propelled and very happy (n.b. currently £113 in toolstation, if you can find one!) uses very little fuel and not been serviced in 3 years stored in shed no probs!

toolstation.com/ein…543
    Petrol is overkill for your needs and will be loads of extra hassle for no real gain. I'd just get a decent push mower, or if you don't fancy the exercise, a battery one. Much less hassle and faffing all around.
's avatar