Claim a power of attorney refund

Claim a power of attorney refund

LocalFound 7th Feb
You can get part of your application fee back if you applied to register a power of attorney from 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2017.

This applies to lasting powers of attorney (LPA) and enduring powers of attorney (EPA).

You can only claim a refund if you made the power of attorney in England or Wales.
Community Updates
GOV.UK Deals


Top comments
Excellent. It's nice to (potentially) get something back, I would have probably missed this if you'd not posted. Cheers.
Many thanks op, will apply for both parents.
Thanks OP, the processing fee was ridiculous in the first place.
Both me and other half took out LPAs in march 2014. Saw an article in a newspaper couple of days ago, applied online this morning took around 10 minutes to complete applications for a refund on both our LPAs. Received email to say payment of refunds would be made by 12 May 2018.

Simple enough to do, just need the LPA 7 digit reference number per application.
Edited by: "mikecml" 7th Feb
Be warned that if you have to use the phone service to make a claim, eg because the donor is dead, you will be waiting for ever. On my second painful attempt to get through there was an automated message saying send an email...
Mine was done in Scotland - should have guessed they'd keep the money - grrrr
in England or Wales“ - title amendment required ..
LPA/ EPA I have had a nightmare with. Paid for it online (via Which wills) and attempted to do it myself for my father who hasn’t long to go. Can’t find anyone local that has known my dad for over two years that doesn’t care for him. Despite everyone knowing he wants me to be responsible! Don’t speak to my siblings as there selfish and a waste of space. Not sure what to do now. Money lost and more importantly, my dads future lies in strangers hands (Drs etc)!!
Edited by: "vicky2509" 7th Feb
If you are on certain benefits and go directly through the Government Website, it can be vastly reduced, or free, compared to going through a solicitor.
Thanks - will take a look
Thanks OP, just rung my mum and claimed for her LPA from 2015. £37 (hopefully) which is better in her pocket than the Governments.
I got all excited, then saw it would only be for £37...... I just can’t be bothered with all the form filling and hassle involved :-(
thanks for posting this, wouldn't have known otherwise.
Just applied on behalf of my deceased mother. I've had the following email. So, if you're struggling to get through on the phone, here's what you need to do.

Thank you for contacting us about an application fee refund claim on behalf of a donor who has died. To process this claim we will require each of the following:

  • Death certificate of the deceased donor you are claiming for
  • Grant of representation (i.e. grant of probate or letters of administration) or a will.
We can accept the documents via email, please send them to or alternatively

you can post photocopies to: POA Refunds Team, 7th Floor, Office of the Public Guardian, Po Box 16185, Birmingham, B2 2WH.

On receipt of these documents we’ll contact you to complete a refund application over the phone. If you have the power of attorney documents to hand when we call this will be helpful, but don’t worry if you don’t.

Partial refunds apply to power of attorney applications to the Office of the Public Guardian (for England and Wales) made between April 2013 and March 2017 where an application fee was paid. Partial fee refunds are due on the following for this period:

  • enduring power of attorney (EPA)
  • lasting power of attorney (LPA):
    • property and financial affairs
    • health and welfare
  • power of attorney applications that had to be resubmitted and a fee applied
  • power of attorney applications where a fee remission applied (50% fee reduction). In this instance the refund will be 50% of the total partial refund amount due.
Just received a text, £135 approx to be refunded within 10 days. Thanks again mikecml.
I arranged power of attorney through my solicitor as part of my will. Can I still claim?
Post a comment