Everyone who works for a living provides a service to somebody. Landlords are no different. And when all's said and done, we all go to work to earn money. Landlords are no different in this respect either.
Do you have sources for your stats? If I said 99% of landlords are honest people who do any necessary repairs to properties on time and are fair with their tenants, and what you see on watchdog is the scumbag 1%, you'd scoff. Having worked quite a lot in privately rented properties, I've seen both sides. There are scumbag landlords who will spend nothing on their properties, regardless of tenant welfare. But I'm in properties more often than not to carry out repairs because of scum tenants who respect nothing and leave previously reasonable properties in a terrible state. My point is that there are a lot of decent landlords getting tarred in exactly the same way as benefit claimants.
In your imagination they are perks, for 99% of people on benefits those "perks" are just enough for people to survive. Unfortunately people see the other 1% on Channel 5 and tar everyone on benefits the same.
Not at all but I am chose whom I rent to. And I don't provide a service I provide an income for myself the same as you go to work to provide your salary.
You'll be telling us all you provide a service next. (angel)