Using the German TomTom website you can get access to 12 months of TomTom Go services for Android or iOS with promo code BILDGONAV
- may be useful for anyone who wishes to use an alternative to Google Maps etc. Normal cost is £12.99 per year in the UK and the subscription covers turn-by-turn navigation, offline maps, traffic and speed camera functions.Instructions:
- Click on 'Get Deal' to access the German TomTom Go website and purchase the 1-year subscription (Use Chrome etc to auto-translate if required)
- Add product to basket and Input promo code BILDGONAV on next screen
- Create an account (or log-in with existing account)
- Use any address from Germany (example in screenshot)
- Head to checkout to complete transaction - You may need to complete 'payment' of '0' with Paypal or card (e-mail confirmation should arrive)
- If you already have a subscription, an additional year will be added to your account
- Install the Android or iOS app and then download the maps of your choice
- Sign-in to your TomTom account - (ignore any "30-day trial" message)
- Head to Settings > Account and you will see confirmation of your 1-year subscription for free.
If you have been assigned a free trial period, go to TomTom services and then log in there - should then be replaced with the annual subscription for free.Benefits over Google Maps / Waze:
- Does not require an active internet connection
- The traffic alerts are more up to the minute (Google's are user generated whereas TomTom's are based on accurate floating car data)
- TomTom has a more detailed lane guidance system
Proof of 12 months subscription via Android app:Credit goes to Pepper NL for giving me the idea to create something similar for HUKD users.