0% purchase credit card

Found 6th Jun
As a credit card virgin I'm not sure where to start. It will be for purchases only so I'd like the longest 0% period but with no hidden costs... any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Look at this guide on MSE, just check the exact number of months as most say ‘up to —months’
As above = check MSE for the best recommendations
OK, the following is not meant to be rude but is blunt since you posted that you are new to Credit Cards.

Do you have iron financial discipline?
Do you spend less than you earn each month?
Are you beyond reproach with admin tasks (managing the bank balance)?
Is your job/income unshakeably secure?
Do you have savings equal to the expenditure you will ACTUALLY make on the card?

You need to answer Yes to ALL the above to start the game you are asking about.

Playing with long initial 0% periods is like Boiled frog syndrome. Put the frog in cold water and heat the water. Frog dies. Put the frog in hot water and it jumps out.

i'm not aware of a credit card that does more than 56 days between purchase and payment other than as an initial offer and those, my friend, are designed to hook you into crippling debt, just as the companies want. They don't want your repayments. They want you to owe interest until you die (quite literally).

There is a golden rule with credit cards. Pay in full on each statement. There are more expensive ways to borrow but not many and few that allow you to borrow so much so easily and without misselling protection.
ccnp43 m ago

OK, the following is not meant to be rude but is blunt since you posted …OK, the following is not meant to be rude but is blunt since you posted that you are new to Credit Cards.Do you have iron financial discipline?Do you spend less than you earn each month?Are you beyond reproach with admin tasks (managing the bank balance)?Is your job/income unshakeably secure?Do you have savings equal to the expenditure you will ACTUALLY make on the card?You need to answer Yes to ALL the above to start the game you are asking about.Playing with long initial 0% periods is like Boiled frog syndrome. Put the frog in cold water and heat the water. Frog dies. Put the frog in hot water and it jumps out. i'm not aware of a credit card that does more than 56 days between purchase and payment other than as an initial offer and those, my friend, are designed to hook you into crippling debt, just as the companies want. They don't want your repayments. They want you to owe interest until you die (quite literally).There is a golden rule with credit cards. Pay in full on each statement. There are more expensive ways to borrow but not many and few that allow you to borrow so much so easily and without misselling protection.

well said. Brutal but true.
I haven't seen any cards that do PPIs these days. I have had cards with MBNA, Virgin, Capital One, Barclays, Lloyds Bank. Halifax, American Express etc. and never had any hidden costs. All charge a late payment fee if you are even a day late (think it's £12).

If you have a promotional rate on purchases then you are charged no interest on the purchase balance only for as long as your promotional rate is valid; that means if you withdraw cash or do a balance or money transfer on that card then interest is applied.

If you have a normal card with no promotional rates on it, you can avoid paying interest if you clear the balance before your next statement is generated, as a rule of thumb.
ccnp3 h, 22 m ago

OK, the following is not meant to be rude but is blunt since you posted …OK, the following is not meant to be rude but is blunt since you posted that you are new to Credit Cards.Do you have iron financial discipline?Do you spend less than you earn each month?Are you beyond reproach with admin tasks (managing the bank balance)?Is your job/income unshakeably secure?Do you have savings equal to the expenditure you will ACTUALLY make on the card?You need to answer Yes to ALL the above to start the game you are asking about.Playing with long initial 0% periods is like Boiled frog syndrome. Put the frog in cold water and heat the water. Frog dies. Put the frog in hot water and it jumps out. i'm not aware of a credit card that does more than 56 days between purchase and payment other than as an initial offer and those, my friend, are designed to hook you into crippling debt, just as the companies want. They don't want your repayments. They want you to owe interest until you die (quite literally).There is a golden rule with credit cards. Pay in full on each statement. There are more expensive ways to borrow but not many and few that allow you to borrow so much so easily and without misselling protection.

Halifax had an 18 months 0% interest credit card. Not sure if it’s still available.
Seriously___6th Jun

Halifax had an 18 months 0% interest credit card. Not sure if it’s still a …Halifax had an 18 months 0% interest credit card. Not sure if it’s still available.

And as mentioned on MSE the term 'credit card' is completely misleading as these are 'debt cards' as they allow you to borrow on them - money you need to pay back, ie, debt.

But be aware that debt is like fire - used right and it's a useful tool but used wrongly and you'll get burnt.

moneysavingexpert.com/cre…ork

If you do manage to get into debt crisis then you may find the following helpful.

moneysavingexpert.com/loa…lan

And with regards to andy186186's post you can now currently get 0% interest for up to 27 months with Halifax.

halifax.co.uk/cre…rd/

Good luck.
LemonHead20 m ago

And as mentioned on MSE the term 'credit card' is completely misleading as …And as mentioned on MSE the term 'credit card' is completely misleading as these are 'debt cards' as they allow you to borrow on them - money you need to pay back, ie, debt.But be aware that debt is like fire - used right and it's a useful tool but used wrongly and you'll get burnt.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/how-do-credit-cards-workIf you do manage to get into debt crisis then you may find the following helpful.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-planAnd with regards to andy186186's post you can now currently get 0% interest for up to 27 months with Halifax.https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/purchase-credit-card/Good luck.

Can imagine it’s easy to lose control and before you know it your 0% period is over.
_Whatever_6th Jun

Can imagine it’s easy to lose control and before you know it your 0% p …Can imagine it’s easy to lose control and before you know it your 0% period is over.

Yeah, don't forget to diarize it. Use Google Calendar or something similar so you don't forget; credit cards 0% period ends next month for example.
If you’ve never had a credit card then your unlikely to get a good one first off unless you have had lots of other credit such as loans/PCP/catalogues/mortgage. You’d stand more chance of getting a credit builder one.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Jun
Thanks all for the advice. Itd been so good that you've actually scared me off getting one, which probably isn't a bad thing. I have a mortgage and good credit and didn't intend on spending beyond my means but supposed if I've survived until now without one i don't need it. Just thought be a free loan for +/-28 months rather than fork out the initial lump sum
ccnp6th Jun

Thanks so much for the advice one and all.
Ateam1140 m ago

Thanks all for the advice. Itd been so good that you've actually scared me …Thanks all for the advice. Itd been so good that you've actually scared me off getting one, which probably isn't a bad thing. I have a mortgage and good credit and didn't intend on spending beyond my means but supposed if I've survived until now without one i don't need it. Just thought be a free loan for +/-28 months rather than fork out the initial lump sumThanks so much for the advice one and all.

Don't be too put off though. There are disadvantages of course but there are also advantages in having a credit card too, such as Section 75 Consumer Protection.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 7th Jun
Ateam115 h, 30 m ago

Thanks all for the advice. Itd been so good that you've actually scared me …Thanks all for the advice. Itd been so good that you've actually scared me off getting one, which probably isn't a bad thing. I have a mortgage and good credit and didn't intend on spending beyond my means but supposed if I've survived until now without one i don't need it. Just thought be a free loan for +/-28 months rather than fork out the initial lump sumThanks so much for the advice one and all.

Don’t be scared of them, i use them for making internet purchases or buying flights etc as in the event of an issue you can claim the money back from the credit card company. Always make sure you have the money in the bank to pay it off as soon as the statement comes, that way you don’t pay any interest at all or get into problems.

Another alternative is getting a prepaid credit card that way you can only spend what you have already topped it up with.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants