01 Code on my Drivers License

Found 23rd Feb 2016
Hi Guys I have seen this on my License - CODE 01 (use corrective eyewear while driving) - I don't wear glasses, but I did wear reading glasses whilst in college to help when writing essays (staring at computer all day) so I may have put it on the form about 7 years ago. I did the mandatory reg plate test with no issues. I have perfect vision in my left eye and very slightly blurred on my right eye - with what seems like perfect vision when both eyes are open - What should I do?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
If your blurry in one eye you do need glasses then especially whilst driving.
stefromuk

If your blurry in one eye you do need glasses then especially whilst … If your blurry in one eye you do need glasses then especially whilst driving.

Slight blur - I would still be able to read the license plate from 20m although I would be a little difficult
aydenthelion

Slight blur - I would still be able to read the license plate from 20m … Slight blur - I would still be able to read the license plate from 20m although I would be a little difficult

​Ring the dvla up and ask them to clarify it for you they may ask to go get a eye test to prove you don't need glasses.
I think, but I'm not sure, that if it states you wear glasses on your licence and the Police stop you, you could be in hot water if you're not wearing them. I'd ring DVLA as previously suggested.
Bit of a weird one, since you can drive legally with no sight at all in one eye.
stefromuk

​Ring the dvla up and ask them to clarify it for you they may ask to go g … ​Ring the dvla up and ask them to clarify it for you they may ask to go get a eye test to prove you don't need glasses.

stefromuk

​Ring the dvla up and ask them to clarify it for you they may ask to go g … ​Ring the dvla up and ask them to clarify it for you they may ask to go get a eye test to prove you don't need glasses.

Python

Bit of a weird one, since you can drive legally with no sight at all in … Bit of a weird one, since you can drive legally with no sight at all in one eye.

Thanks for all those responses, I think the best course of action will be to ring them and find out!

So, I rang them and the woman was very vague, she said legally I don't need to tell them if eyesight has changed or wore glasses, however if an accident occured then I would need toprove my eye sight was fine ( which it is she said if I could read the number plate unaided) she also said I could remove the 01 by simply sending them a D1 form and £20... Seems like money making to me
Edited by: "aydenthelion" 23rd Feb 2016
aydenthelion

Slight blur - I would still be able to read the license plate from 20m … Slight blur - I would still be able to read the license plate from 20m although I would be a little difficult

tbh that doesn't sound very reassuring.
aydenthelion

Thanks for all those responses, I think the best course of action will be … Thanks for all those responses, I think the best course of action will be to ring them and find out! So, I rang them and the woman was very vague, she said legally I don't need to tell them if eyesight has changed or wore glasses, however if an accident occured then I would need toprove my eye sight was fine ( which it is she said if I could read the number plate unaided) she also said I could remove the 01 by simply sending them a D1 form and £20... Seems like money making to me

The £20 is because they'll print you a new driving license without the code 01.
After postage, material costs and admin costs they probably aren't making much if anything.
joedastudd

The £20 is because they'll print you a new driving license without the … The £20 is because they'll print you a new driving license without the code 01. After postage, material costs and admin costs they probably aren't making much if anything.

if thats case then they should charge you for changing address too...
Are you sure you need to pay? Is that not just if you want a new picture? I'm sure I didn't have to pay to get that code removed from my licence after having laser
davewave

tbh that doesn't sound very reassuring.

That's would be in my one bad eye, if it is in both or the good eye my eyesight has no issue at all - the optician called this a 'lazy eye' when I went when I was younger!
Python

Bit of a weird one, since you can drive legally with no sight at all in … Bit of a weird one, since you can drive legally with no sight at all in one eye.

Not HGVs etc
YouDontWantToKnow

Not HGVs etc

​Ahh, didn't know that. I have a mate who has a glass eye but can still drive a car legally. Don't know about codes on licence though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants