0844 £45 charge through EE

Found 25th Jul
Hi,

just checked my EE mobile bill online and it shows calls to 0844 numbers which have cost £45!! These calls relate to some enquiries I made with Sky about adding broadband. The customer service people I spoke to kept me on the line for absolutely ages and it was like pulling teeth, the. I’d either end up getting cut off or have to start again!

I always thought with EE if you were calling a number outside your call allowance a message played at the start of the call informing you of it? I also assumed as the main sky contact number that it wouldn’t be a premium based number and would come out of my unlimited minutes plan.

I know i got this wrong, but the charges seem overly excessive to me. Is there anyway either company are likely to cover or reduce the cost of the calls as a good will gesture? Anyone had any experience with this?

thanks in advance
dan
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You must have known 0844 was a premium number? also you can contact Sky on a non premium number. I think it's entirely your fault and you should take this as a lesson learnt. I don't think they should give you any type of discount (which they won't).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 25th Jul
Caroline_19932 m ago

Ee dont gove you a message before the call. I phoned a 0844 number last …Ee dont gove you a message before the call. I phoned a 0844 number last week. Was on the phone less than 3 minutes its cost me £2.30

Use the WeQ4U app for premium numbers, it will come off your inclusive minutes (if you have any).
21 Comments
I just checked and it said 7p per minute and 44p access charge on EE. How long did you speak to Sky for?
Probably a couple of hours, Deffo didn’t have a message re the charges
You must have known 0844 was a premium number? also you can contact Sky on a non premium number. I think it's entirely your fault and you should take this as a lesson learnt. I don't think they should give you any type of discount (which they won't).
Ee dont gove you a message before the call.

I phoned a 0844 number last week. Was on the phone less than 3 minutes its cost me £2.30
Caroline_19932 m ago

Ee dont gove you a message before the call. I phoned a 0844 number last …Ee dont gove you a message before the call. I phoned a 0844 number last week. Was on the phone less than 3 minutes its cost me £2.30

Use the WeQ4U app for premium numbers, it will come off your inclusive minutes (if you have any).
Ouch, most numbers I find for sky are 03 where did you find your 08 number?
First thing I always do is set a spending limit.
Just a note if your on the phone to any customer services its sometimes worth ending the call, they usually call you back. Definitely if they think they have a sale.
Or search for an alternative number on the saynoto08...website
Was it the actual Sky number you called? There are a number of companies that have a 'call routing' money making 'scheme/scam' where when you Google a company contact no they appear. Their website is designed to look similar to Sky/BT/ government department/whoever. You call the number and it just routes you to the actual company but charges you handsomely for the privilege!
I'm struggling to find a single sky contact number beginning 0844.
Before making any non standard calls always check how much it is going to cost . As people have said use saynoto0870 or WeQ4U to find alternative numbers . If you don’t find any try logging on to their website and go to online chat if they have the facility or send them a secure email to ring you back.
MIDURIX1 h, 44 m ago

I'm struggling to find a single sky contact number beginning 0844.

sadly there are plenty out there, even on the 75% off thread on here but you are right Sky dont actively promote them themselves cant check now as dont have sky but they used to still show it on the sky remote even up to last year. Companies should really close them down but since they make a little bit money from each call......

Op put it down to lessons learned, 1, put a limit on the amount of credit you can use on your phone, 2 never use any 08 numbers except 0800 on your phone, if a company doesnt provide a normal number dont deal with them again.
Edited by: "eslick" 26th Jul
I refuse to deal with any Company that has a 084 or 087 etc number unless they can provide a 080, 01, 02 or 03 alternative. The more folk do this the better it will be for everyone and the Companies will soon learn.

If you must do it on a Mobile, you far better off buying a monthly add on Bundle, most Networks do this, eg, you can buy 300 mins of 084, 087 from Vodafone for £5 then cancel the following month, your still pay the access charge but way cheaper
Spoke to EE they agreed to cover 50% of the cost which has taken the sting out of it. Now to see if Sky will offer anything for goodwill
borat123426 m ago

Spoke to EE they agreed to cover 50% of the cost which has taken the sting …Spoke to EE they agreed to cover 50% of the cost which has taken the sting out of it. Now to see if Sky will offer anything for goodwill

might want to check the number is actually a sky number rather than a re-routing as mentioned earlier

what was the number?
Def a sky number was left it in a voicemail to call them back 08442411809
I used 03442411653 last time I had broadband issues
34499537-z1GVm.jpg
borat123418 h, 9 m ago

Spoke to EE they agreed to cover 50% of the cost which has taken the sting …Spoke to EE they agreed to cover 50% of the cost which has taken the sting out of it. Now to see if Sky will offer anything for goodwill

I would not tell them that EE will pay 50% and ask the 45 quid as money off from the next bill
borat123418 h, 24 m ago

Come on, don't be greedy.
Should we create a go fund me to cover your electric bills too?

All you did was dial a 0844 thinking ee will warn you while on the call but they didn't, so why didn't you just hang up and do some Google research for another number? Or see if 0844 was included in your package like everyone else does?
borat123417 h, 59 m ago

Def a sky number was left it in a voicemail to call them back 08442411809

if thats the case send an email to their CEO customer service team, details belwo and tell them you are appalled that they would leave a number like that especially since it took them so long to do the call and the way the call charges are made up. See link below, most of the charge comes from SKY themselves! Especially when they have free or low cost call options.

ofcom.org.uk/pho…ing

ceoemail.com/s.p…445

How it works nowSince 1 July 2015, the cost of calling service numbers is now made up of two parts:

An access charge: This part of the call charge goes to your phone company, charged as pence per minute. They will tell you how much the access charge will be for calls to service numbers. It will be made clear on bills and when you take out a contract.

A service charge: This is the rest of the call charge. The organisation you are calling decides this, and will tell you how much it is.

Let’s take an example.

Say your particular phone company charges you 5p per minute for calls to service numbers - that is their access charge. And let’s say the service charge for a particular number you want to call is 20p per minute. In that case, you would see information like this:

“Calls cost 20p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.”

In this particular example, the call would cost 20p per minute (the service charge), plus 5p per minute (the access charge). So the call would cost you 25p per minute.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants