Groups

31 Comments

Banned

thought it was against the law unless they had a permit thing, and doubt if the nobs are shooting cans they have a permit, phone the cops and im sure they will be round in a shot

I'm pretty sure that those that don't exceed a certain power limit are perfectly legal, however if you're 14 or under, then a parent needs to be supervising you at all times.

they cant do it if i was you i would call the cops and say there not looking where there shoting just letting the thing off and could hit someone that should get them out asap

Yeah its illegal to shoot within 100 yards approx of a public right of way (road or path)

Banned

raptorcigs;6097266

His Mate Is The Owner He Just Left But Next Time Ill Take A Picky

I would just phone the police, what happens when they messing about and a bullet comes through your window
    We_Are_138;6097291

I'm pretty sure that those that don't exceed a certain power limit are … I'm pretty sure that those that don't exceed a certain power limit are perfectly legal, however if you're 14 or under, then a parent needs to be supervising you at all times.

I think you will find the police will have a different look on it

Banned

sassie;6097315

I would just phone the police, what happens when they messing about and a … I would just phone the police, what happens when they messing about and a bullet comes through your windowI think you will find the police will have a different look on it

Why if they are legal to own and use?

I know it used to be the .144s were legal but the older .22s were made illegal, but i haven't kept up and i know the law has changed quite a bit. If they're just doing target practice tho, then leave them alone, it's a perfectly valid sport. If they're causing trouble (breaking windows, shooting animals etc.) then call the cops. You can always just saw you saw your neighbour with a gun. An armed response team later, and they'll probably stop.

It's also illegal if they're not transparent (So you can see the inner workings) and are now classed as imitation firearms.

sassie;6097315

I think you will find the police will have a different look on it

If they are indeed messing around and have no regard or care for people and places around them, then I am entirely against it, however I was just telling you what I believed were the laws.

We actually rang our local authorities to ask whether it was legal to purchase and use an air rifle without any kind of license for use in killing rats that came off the back field and onto our garden. They said it was fine and I remember them talking about certain power levels, which I don't recall entirely.

]http//ww…tml

Banned

We_Are_138;6097379

If they are indeed messing around and have no regard or care for people … If they are indeed messing around and have no regard or care for people and places around them, then I am entirely against it, however I was just telling you what I believed were the laws.We actually rang our local authorities to ask whether it was legal to purchase and use an air rifle without any kind of license for use in killing rats that came off the back field and onto our garden. They said it was fine and I remember them talking about certain power levels, which I don't recall entirely.]http://www.youngmans.com/acatalog/law.html

i would say using it in a built up area is showing no care for others, itf it was in my next doors back garden i would call the police

Banned

dcx_badass;6097397

It''s perfectly legal, whats the problem if they're doing it in their … It''s perfectly legal, whats the problem if they're doing it in their garden, I always use my rifle and pistol in my garden. The Police have been round once, and he said it was a formality to satisfy the neighbours but it's perfectly legal and to just ignore thme as he does it himself.

so if they miss the can and the bullet travels into the next garden and hits something else this is ok?

if it its used on private property and the pellets do not leave the property edge then they break no laws. If you can show that the pellets are escaping over the fence/hedge/wall then action maybe taken.

Banned

dcx_badass;6097420

Who doesn't have a fence or whatever around their garden?

believe it or not, many people dont, especially in council areas, they have wired fences

also is it ok to walk the streets with these?

sassie;6097393

i would say using it in a built up area is showing no care for others, … i would say using it in a built up area is showing no care for others, itf it was in my next doors back garden i would call the police

I replied to the original post about him believing you needed a work permit. I explained that I was pretty sure those of a certain power level and below were legal, to which you replied with "I think you will find the police will have a different look on it". I wasn't condoning any reckless behaviour with any kind of air rifle and if they are being 'nobs' and are being dangerous, then yes, I would agree to call the police.

Banned

We_Are_138;6097432

I replied to the original post about him believing you needed a work … I replied to the original post about him believing you needed a work permit. I explained that I was pretty sure those of a certain power level and below were legal, to which you replied with "I think you will find the police will have a different look on it". I wasn't condoning any reckless behaviour with any kind of air rifle and if they are being 'nobs' and are being dangerous, then yes, I would agree to call the police.

the original post with the use of the words used led me to believe that maybe it wasnt being used with due care

Banned

dcx_badass;6097447

In a locked case/bag with the pellets somewhere else yes it is.

pretty bad really that these are still legal, i know many will disagree but i think all fire arms should be illegal

call the police and they may send a PCSO to visit but unless pellets are straying out of the boundry then not a police matter....move along please nothing to see here...LOL

dcx_badass;6097447

In a locked case/bag with the pellets somewhere else yes it is.

Your quoting section one fire arms/shot gun legislation.....:thumbsup:

sassie;6097449

the original post with the use of the words used led me to believe that … the original post with the use of the words used led me to believe that maybe it wasnt being used with due care

I don't think shooting cans is deemed reckless behaviour and without any extra information (i.e. surroundings, what's behind the cans etc), it could be fine. I don't know what a 'nermal' is though (seriously). However, I do agree that the police should be called if there is a genuine concern. I'm not for one second suggesting they should be allowed to do what they want with the rifle nor am I suggesting they should even have it in the first place.

raptorcigs;6097635

He Was Stood On A Comunial Pathway

Well if it's not their backyard, then you should probably give the police a ring.

completly legal if they are the right age.

The power limit of an air rifle is 12lbs, anything over that needs a FAC, fire arms certificate.

As stated above, if youve got an alley way or footpath within 100 yards then it is illegal. If you can prove that the pellets have left their boundry then it is illegal.

Edit:

Also stated above that they need to be see through or multi colours, this is wrong. You are thinking of BB guns, not air rifles.

Some of the "advice" on here is pretty funny - only useful info is from "teh arn"

Banned

thanks for all the usefull info I will remember all this on the next firearms job we are sent to:thumbsup:

sassie;6097461

pretty bad really that these are still legal, i know many will disagree … pretty bad really that these are still legal, i know many will disagree but i think all fire arms should be illegal

I use my .22 to take out the rabbits and pigeons that eat the veggies in our garden. Nothing more effective than a pellet to the head!

flyingflea;6099312

I use my .22 to take out the rabbits and pigeons that eat the veggies in … I use my .22 to take out the rabbits and pigeons that eat the veggies in our garden. Nothing more effective than a pellet to the head!

me too, what rifle do you have? i have a bsa lightning xl . do you eat your quarry?

i only kill what i'm going to eat? wood pigeon is my favourite meat, better than any steak.

people have a negative image of fire arms, i find it strange that people are happy to eat cheap meat with no interest or understanding the process that the animal/meat goes through before it ends up on your dining table, and into your and your kids stomachs. im not talking about easily identified process meats but bacon rashers and chicken breasts.

i also believe that you should be peronally willing/able to kill an animal to eat meat,

sorry for hijacking this thread to air my views, but fire arms do get a negative press.

solarforce;6099440

me too, what rifle do you have? i have a bsa lightning xl . do you eat … me too, what rifle do you have? i have a bsa lightning xl . do you eat your quarry?i only kill what i'm going to eat? wood pigeon is my favourite meat, better than any steak.people have a negative image of fire arms, i find it strange that people are happy to eat cheap meat with no interest or understanding the process that the animal/meat goes through before it ends up on your dining table, and into your and your kids stomachs. im not talking about easily identified process meats but bacon rashers and chicken breasts.i also believe that you should be peronally willing/able to kill an animal to eat meat,sorry for hijacking this thread to air my views, but fire arms do get a negative press.

I dunno what I use to be honest, it was my dad that bought it and I just get it out when I see a little ****** munching on our lettuce or strawberries! It's spring loaded and looks a lot like the ruger .22 air rifle.

Here's some pics of some recent kills. We were going to eat the hare but it turned out to be crawling in fleas so we just dumped it in the septic tank.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6752/image403q.jpghttp://img22.imageshack.us/img22/image403q.jpg/1/w640.png
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9665/n23116379317173965564.jpghttp://img10.imageshack.us/img10/n23116379317173965564.jpg/1/w604.png

Banned

flyingflea;6099312

I use my .22 to take out the rabbits and pigeons that eat the veggies in … I use my .22 to take out the rabbits and pigeons that eat the veggies in our garden. Nothing more effective than a pellet to the head!

a lamp and a lurcher is much more fun tho:thumbsup:

Banned

ChrisUK;6098022

Some of the "advice" on here is pretty funny - only useful info is from … Some of the "advice" on here is pretty funny - only useful info is from "teh arn"

this is true I laughed at the advice at the beginning :-D

casparwhite;6109041

a lamp and a lurcher is much more fun tho:thumbsup:

We used to have a lurcher and he was amazingly good at catching rabbits (and cats) without the aid of an air rifle, best dog I ever owned. Unfortunately he got run over by a train on Christmas Eve in a freak accident :-( RIP Archie

Banned

flyingflea;6109071

We used to have a lurcher and he was amazingly good at catching rabbits … We used to have a lurcher and he was amazingly good at catching rabbits (and cats) without the aid of an air rifle, best dog I ever owned. Unfortunately he got run over by a train on Christmas Eve in a freak accident :-( RIP Archie

i used to go out with a couple of mates with air rifles years ago, used to have to keep it at mi mates as mi mum wasnt impressed.....my mates parents on the other hand had horses and were keen hunters. we used to go out lamping on a night million candle power lamps etc with lurchers and beddlingtons....ferrets and terriers as well for sticking down rabbit/hare holes......used to eat like kings back in the day

very funny info given in this thread some people just read the news and brand all guns and users as criminals......just because they have no idea on the subjects

I've got 2 shotguns & an air rifle & some of the advice given is just stupid. If people dont know, then dont guess at these laws.

Every police force has a Firearms & Explosives dept, if in doubt ask them (or the BASC website is full of very useful info on the subject !)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?24
      2. Tradesmen battery power tools.22
      3. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?23
      4. Flights only Dominican Republic33

See more discussions