Groups
    EXPIRED

£1 AM radios?

This has bugged me for a bit, thought someone here might know the answer. It's very easy to pick up little FM radios in various pound shops and the like, but i've NEVER seen an AM radio for that price. Anyone know why? Are they more complicated to make?
    Or if anyone knows where I can get one, please tell me!

15 Comments

I remember the term crystal set.

Original Poster

kester76

I remember the term crystal set.

That's nice for you. How about posting a deal sometime?

aliexpress.com/ite…tml

Try other Chinese websites too, but I can vouch for AliBaba due to their payment protection etc. Only bad thing will be the delivery time, but you can upgrade shipping I believe. I just linked the first one I saw for a decent price, but have a more thorough look yourself. I don't think you'll find things that price in the UK, but anyone is free to correct me. As for the reasoning of there not being £1 AM radios, I have no idea.

dealpickle

You build crystal set's that's the whole appeal of it. I answered your question on are they complicated to make. It was nice of me but you're an ungrateful tool. Have a nice day.

dealpickle

Passive aggressive much

Original Poster

kester76

You build crystal set's that's the whole appeal of it. I answered your … You build crystal set's that's the whole appeal of it. I answered your question on are they complicated to make. It was nice of me but you're an ungrateful tool. Have a nice day.

I didn't ask if they were 'complicated to make' - I asked if they were 'more complicated to make', suggesting that as a solution to why they weren't available. If you were genuinely trying to be helpful then I would have apologized, but since you threw an insult my way, i'm happy not to oblige.

Original Poster

Initiation

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lowest-Price-Mini-Portable-AM-FM-Pocket-Radio-2-Bands-Receiver-DC-3V-Free-Shipping/32245264253.htmlTry other Chinese websites too, but I can vouch for AliBaba due to their payment protection etc. Only bad thing will be the delivery time, but you can upgrade shipping I believe. I just linked the first one I saw for a decent price, but have a more thorough look yourself. I don't think you'll find things that price in the UK, but anyone is free to correct me. As for the reasoning of there not being £1 AM radios, I have no idea.

Thanks Inititiation, i'll take a look at that.

dealpickle

I didn't ask if they were 'complicated to make' - I asked if they were … I didn't ask if they were 'complicated to make' - I asked if they were 'more complicated to make', suggesting that as a solution to why they weren't available. If you were genuinely trying to be helpful then I would have apologized, but since you threw an insult my way, i'm happy not to oblige.

I was genuinely trying to be helpful and most people would not of responded like that to an attempt to genuine help even if it was off target. I wasn't being insulting, just pointing out an obvious character flaw. I pity you.

I think, in reply to 'are they cheaper to make', the answer is yes. FM radios can be built on a single chip that just require an aerial and a power source to work. The aerial can be a simple piece of wire or metal, often the headphone cable can act as the aerial.

AM radios on the other hand require additional components such as a ferrite core antenna and more complicated tuning circuitry.

Original Poster

Tony68k

I think, in reply to 'are they cheaper to make', the answer is yes. FM … I think, in reply to 'are they cheaper to make', the answer is yes. FM radios can be built on a single chip that just require an aerial and a power source to work. The aerial can be a simple piece of wire or metal, often the headphone cable can act as the aerial.AM radios on the other hand require additional components such as a ferrite core antenna and more complicated tuning circuitry.

Aha! That's the kind of info I was after, many thanks Tony.

Original Poster

kester76

I was genuinely trying to be helpful and most people would not of … I was genuinely trying to be helpful and most people would not of responded like that to an attempt to genuine help even if it was off target. I wasn't being insulting, just pointing out an obvious character flaw. I pity you.

It's 'would not have responded' or 'would not've responded'. I'm genuinely trying to be helpful. Thanks for the pity.

Edited by: "dealpickle" 5th Dec 2014

Thanks, I'll have to keep on top of my grammar, I keep letting it slip. See it doesn't cost anything to be polite and helpful. If you're interested in AM technology ask me a question, I did a course in electronic servicing which covered radio communication down to component level.
    Two links I would look into are
    explainthatstuff.com/rad…tml
    en.wikipedia.org/wik…ing

Original Poster

kester76

Thanks, I'll have to keep on top of my grammar, I keep letting it slip. … Thanks, I'll have to keep on top of my grammar, I keep letting it slip. See it doesn't cost anything to be polite and helpful. If you're interested in AM technology ask me a question, I did a course in electronic servicing which covered radio communication down to component level. Two links I would look into arehttp://www.explainthatstuff.com/radio.htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting

Thanks Kester, that all got a bit out of hand really. Sorry mate.

dealpickle

Thanks Kester, that all got a bit out of hand really. Sorry mate.

Don't worry about it mate. I guess the AM Radio is for out and about ?, if not quite a few AM stations also stream their broadcasts now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions