Groups

1 port wireless router - silly question

Hi
    I am going to get a 1 port wireless router for broadband.
    this may sound like a silly questions but

does this just mean i can only connect 1 computer to it wired.?

or can i only connect 1 wireless computer to it as well?>

I need to connect 2 wireless computers to it

thanks

7 Comments

It just means you can only connect 1 wired PC you can do quite a few wireless.

ryouga

It just means you can only connect 1 wired PC you can do quite a few … It just means you can only connect 1 wired PC you can do quite a few wireless.

I should know the answer but is there a limit to how many wireless devices you can connect to a router ?

stora

I should know the answer but is there a limit to how many wireless … I should know the answer but is there a limit to how many wireless devices you can connect to a router ?

It's ok to have as many as a subnet can handle I think (unless set by the router)...

So that would be up to 254.

stora

I should know the answer but is there a limit to how many wireless … I should know the answer but is there a limit to how many wireless devices you can connect to a router ?

Yes one wired device and as many wireless devices as you like...within reason and
    assuming the subnet is set correctly.

Does depend on the router, and as browni points out it will not be more than 254, but generally 'more than enough' is the answer. Can't imagine how bad it would be to share a basic broadband connection across 254 active users mind!

Also, if at some point in the future you find that one port is not enough then you can buy a hub & plug that in to the router, then plug your PCs & Laptops etc in to the hub - there's no extra configuration required for a hub (and hubs are cheaper than routers!)

cis_groupie

Also, if at some point in the future you find that one port is not enough … Also, if at some point in the future you find that one port is not enough then you can buy a hub & plug that in to the router, then plug your PCs & Laptops etc in to the hub - there's no extra configuration required for a hub (and hubs are cheaper than routers!)

Good point :thumbsup:

DHCP will sort out the IP Addresses... Bob's your auntie...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …86148
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      3. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions