1 tb or 2 tb 2.5inch drive for laptop

Found 17th Jun
Hi guys, hope you''re having a great weekend and enjoying the world cup.

Does anyone know which 1tb/2tb external 2.5 inch hard drives have the standard sata connection internally? My laptop has space for 2 internal drives (replaced the cd drive with an additional hdd bay) and I am looking for an 1 or 2tb drive for good value be it internal or external that can be removed from casing.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Please don't take this the wrong way. It is intended to be helpful.

You may be over simplifying your approach and in need of a bit of help judging by the question. Just because there is space inside the case, does not mean there is a connection slot on the motherboard (Dell are real cheapskates on this point).

If you are confident there is a connector, then go to Crucial and other manufacturers sites. They let you state what your PC is and then they give you part numbers.

Alternatively, to avoid a waste of money, it would be a good investment to buy 30 mins of a PC shop engineer's time to investigate and advise.
ccnp17 m ago

Please don't take this the wrong way. It is intended to be helpful.You …Please don't take this the wrong way. It is intended to be helpful.You may be over simplifying your approach and in need of a bit of help judging by the question. Just because there is space inside the case, does not mean there is a connection slot on the motherboard (Dell are real cheapskates on this point). If you are confident there is a connector, then go to Crucial and other manufacturers sites. They let you state what your PC is and then they give you part numbers.Alternatively, to avoid a waste of money, it would be a good investment to buy 30 mins of a PC shop engineer's time to investigate and advise.

what would the cd drive that got replaced have been connected to then?
Most of the cheap external drives don't have sata connectors. Why build them with a costly interface when you can have a usb3 header soldereddirectly to the drive?

I bought a couple of samsung externals expecting them to have sata drives in them. I was disapointed.
Ask or look on Reddit.
I like the way you loosely say 1 or 2TB as if theres not much between them, just remmeber this, they soon fill up, and for every 1Tb of Hard Drive Installed or being used your going to need at least another 1TB kickinmg around somewhere to use as a Back Up.
deleted1165591
ccnp1 h, 4 m ago

Please don't take this the wrong way. It is intended to be helpful.You …Please don't take this the wrong way. It is intended to be helpful.You may be over simplifying your approach and in need of a bit of help judging by the question. Just because there is space inside the case, does not mean there is a connection slot on the motherboard (Dell are real cheapskates on this point). If you are confident there is a connector, then go to Crucial and other manufacturers sites. They let you state what your PC is and then they give you part numbers.Alternatively, to avoid a waste of money, it would be a good investment to buy 30 mins of a PC shop engineer's time to investigate and advise.

Don't worry dude I understand. Thanks... as I said I replaced the cd drive with a hard drive bay.... so there is a connection!
Edited by: "deleted1165591" 17th Jun
deleted1165591
zirk24 m ago

I like the way you loosely say 1 or 2TB as if theres not much between …I like the way you loosely say 1 or 2TB as if theres not much between them, just remmeber this, they soon fill up, and for every 1Tb of Hard Drive Installed or being used your going to need at least another 1TB kickinmg around somewhere to use as a Back Up.

Pricewise there isn't much between them say 1 or 2 as that is the max it seems like (my old) laptop could handle.... especially as 4tb+ usually are a little bigger than 2.5 - I already have 2* 1tb external drives.... both soldered usb3 (hence my question) - just want an internal drive so I can store stuff when im on the road freelancing... my 240 ssd is far too small for my design files
Edited by: "deleted1165591" 17th Jun
deleted116559117th Jun

I say 1 or 2 as that is the max it seems like (my old) laptop could …I say 1 or 2 as that is the max it seems like (my old) laptop could handle.... especially as 4tb+ usually are a little bigger than 2.5"

think the largest capacity drive in 9.5mm height is still 2TB - same as 2-3 years ago when i got one out of a seagate expansion (samsung m9t inside)
they have updated the design a few times so not sure if can still be removed as per mas99s post above

there is also the newer seagate 7mm drives - not supposed to be very fast but for a data drive on laptop should be ok
amazon.co.uk/Sea…WB6 (2-4 weeks del with amazon but cheap at 62quid which is about external prices but with a warranty)
deleted1165591
brilly1 m ago

think the largest capacity drive in 9.5mm height is still 2TB - same as …think the largest capacity drive in 9.5mm height is still 2TB - same as 2-3 years ago when i got one out of a seagate expansion (samsung m9t inside) they have updated the design a few times so not sure if can still be removed as per mas99s post abovethere is also the newer seagate 7mm drives - not supposed to be very fast but for a data drive on laptop should be okhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Factor/dp/B01LXRWWB6 (2-4 weeks del with amazon but cheap at 62quid which is about external prices but with a warranty)

cheers ill have a look - yeh believe 2 is the largest at that size
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants