10 Pro Tips and Tricks to Prepare for Black Friday and Cyber Monday

Found 16th Nov
Another autumn is well underway which means that Black Friday (November 23rd) and Cyber Monday (November 26th) are just around the corner.3105696.jpg
For anyone who is new to the Black Friday rush or for those who want to improve their shopping skills, it's definitely time to start getting organised if you're serious about grabbing the best deals. Here are some pro tips:

1. Make a budget
2. Make lists
3. Create accounts
4. Update personal profiles
5. Compare prices
6. Buy gift cards
7. Follow favourite retailers
8. Catch up on retailer policies
9. Bookmark shopping event pages and set Keyword Alerts on hotukdeals
10. Use your credit card for large purchases

3105696.jpg
10 Shopping Tips and Tricks
1. Define your budget – Tempting as it is to start making a wish list as you browse your favourite sites, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are about snagging bargains without damaging your bank balance. It doesn't take long to set your budget and see how much you can afford. This way you also avoid the trap of overspending.

2. Make lists – Making a list of what you need to buy and what you want to buy makes life easier when you get caught up in the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. You might not know the prices yet but having a list will keep you focused and limit the risk of impulse buys that you might regret, as well as reducing the amount of time you could have to waste navigating return policies. Split your list into two: items you definitely want or need and those you'll buy if you have any money to spare later in the day. To add a surprise element to the experience, why not add a set amount to your budget for a single impulse buy?

3. Set up store accounts and fill your carts online – It's always good to be prepared in life, especially when a huge discount code is coming in and the best items are sold out within minutes. To avoid that, sign up with potential merchants, insert your personal information and have your carts ready. If your top deal comes in, you're instantly ready to insert the voucher and press the button.

4. Keep personal profiles up to date – If you have accounts with online retailers, check if your personal profile, delivery address, and billing details are up to date. Wasting time at the checkout might mean you lose a great bargain before you can check out. And, be sure you know your username and password for all of the sites you'll be shopping from.

5. Compare prices upfront – When you know what you want and you know roughly where you can get it, compare prices. You can use the idealo price comparison widget here (scroll down a bit on the group pages), go on idealo.co.uk itself, or check out older hotukdeals offers to find tips and the best prices.

6. Stock up on gift cards – To really benefit from Black Friday bargains at your favourite online stores, consider purchasing gift cards and combine them with offers, vouchers, and price errors. Take a look at the Gift Cards-pages here to be ahead of all the deals before and during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

7. Follow your favourite retailer for the best deals – Set aside some time to visit all of your favourite websites and sign up for their email newsletters, as well as following them on social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Many retailers reward their followers with exclusive bargains, great discounts, competitions and useful shopping tips, plus you can share this information with the community on hotukdeals and earn some appreciation from the crowd.

8. Familiarise yourself with Black Friday and Cyber Monday retailer policies – It's nearly time to start shopping, so check out the buying, payment and delivery policies at the stores you'll be visiting. Sometimes these policies change for Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping. See if any offer price-matching, a great way to save even more money. And, should you change your mind or go over your budget, make sure you know about each store's return, refund, and exchange policies. You can do so at the
hotukdeals merchant pages.

9. Bookmark the Black Friday/Cyber Monday pages and set Keyword Alerts on hotukdeals – You're almost ready to go. Last but not least, and in order that you don't miss any of the deals, bookmark the special Black Friday and Cyber Monday event pages at hotukdeals where all of the deals are collected and merchants have their specific shopping event pages. Plus, if you set a hotukdeals Keyword Alert for your favourite product, you'll get a notification via email or browser every time a deal pops up. To set the alert on mobile/desktop, go to "Settings" > "Keyword Alerts" > "New Keyword" > insert "PS4" or alike and a minimum temperature. In the app you'll find the function under "Inbox" > "Manage Alerts" >"Add a new keyword".

10. Use your credit card for larger purchases for maximum safety – All credit cards issued in the UK have to offer a money back guarantee if something you buy is faulty, you don't get satisfaction from the retailer, or if a business folds before you receive your goods. To benefit from this protection be sure to use your credit card rather than a debit card when making purchases between £100 and £30,000.

What do you think of these hints and do you have more tips for the busiest shopping time of the year?
Community Updates
Another Pro Tip
Grab the hotukdeals app

Apple App Store Link - Here
Google Play Store - Here

Set up alerts on the stuff you're on the lookout for via the app:

Step #1 - Tap the 3 lines in the top left corner
Step #2 - Select Keyword Alerts
Step #3 - Head to the bottom right - Tap the pencil to edit
Step #4 - Select or add Keywords (Select the heat you want notifying at)
Step #5 Hit Save in the top right corner

Job Done!

Top comments
11. Realise it's 99.9% fake deals and ignore it all
If buying from Amazon, use a price tracker website to see whether what you are buying is actually a bargain or not. Some discounts are not what they seem.

uk dot camelcamelcamel dot com is pretty good.
Only buy what you need and don’t be tempted by offers on things you don’t.

Have a list of items and stick to that list.
lindalucky33 m ago

Kids will be thrilled lol

Kids will understand. You can buy them something cheap and explain why.

All that interest you’d be paying is robbing them of things, the only way to stop that is pay it off then they can have nice things, it also teaches them to live within their means, a lesson many young people don’t understand.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Nov
52 Comments
How do I bookmark the black Friday page linked in number 9?

I can't see anyway when I follow the link through...
Only buy what you need and don’t be tempted by offers on things you don’t.

Have a list of items and stick to that list.
If buying from Amazon, use a price tracker website to see whether what you are buying is actually a bargain or not. Some discounts are not what they seem.

uk dot camelcamelcamel dot com is pretty good.
cattons342 m ago

How do I bookmark the black Friday page linked in number 9? I can't see …How do I bookmark the black Friday page linked in number 9? I can't see anyway when I follow the link through...

Just in your browser or there's also a banner on the hotukdeals homepage.

36115922-z2ppP.jpg
TobyEy2 m ago

Just in your browser or there's also a banner on the hotukdeals …Just in your browser or there's also a banner on the hotukdeals homepage.[Image]

Maybe should have clarified, I'm using the app...
cattons313 m ago

Maybe should have clarified, I'm using the app...

There's also a banner on the highlights page, you could also share it via the button and put it on your reading list...
11. Realise it's 99.9% fake deals and ignore it all
Pro tips? You mean Common Sense tips?
Great first contribution& welcome to the site, @TobyEy,

Always good to get a professional sharing hints & tips.

Thanks.
Lock your debit card away and don't be fooled into thinking you are getting a bargain.
No 6. There isnt any gift cards apart from the Tesco offer. .
Any idea where else can I get love to shop gift vouchers and Amazon?
Defo update your address/payment details at places like Curry's considering they ballsed up last year! Deals were quick.
loopylloyd6 h, 8 m ago

Defo update your address/payment details at places like Curry's …Defo update your address/payment details at places like Curry's considering they ballsed up last year! Deals were quick.

...and then there is the counter-argument about the strategy of storing payment details at any site (connected with Dixons Carphone, the owner of Carphone Warehouse & Currys PC World, or otherwise), for example:

[ bbc.co.uk/new…331 ]
[ bbc.co.uk/new…906 ]
[ moneysavingexpert.com/new…ck/ ]
fanpages1 h, 20 m ago

...and then there is the counter-argument about the strategy of storing …...and then there is the counter-argument about the strategy of storing payment details at any site (connected with Dixons Carphone, the owner of Carphone Warehouse & Currys PC World, or otherwise), for example:[ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44465331 ][ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45016906 ][ https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/06/59-million-card-details-taken-in-currys-pc-world-and-dixons-travel-hack/ ]

YOLO!
Edited by: "loopylloyd" 17th Nov
13. If you have >£3,000 debt, say, on your credit card, on a monthly net spend of £200 after mortgage, rent, utlities, transport, food, other essentials...then try to ignore Cyber Monday and Black Friday.
Edited by: "splender" 17th Nov
Change religion.....(non Christianity)
splender44 m ago

13. If you have >£3,000 debt, say, on your credit card, on a monthly net …13. If you have >£3,000 debt, say, on your credit card, on a monthly net spend of £200 after mortgage, rent, utlities, transport, food, other essentials...then try to ignore Cyber Monday and Black Friday.

If you have debt don’t waste money on Christmas, pay the debt off instead.
cmdr_elito7 m ago

Change religion.....(non Christianity)

I am not sure, but giving gifts during December is a Pagan tradition, yule time. Winter solstice day is Friday , 21 December this year.
splender4 m ago

I am not sure, but giving gifts during December is a Pagan tradition, yule …I am not sure, but giving gifts during December is a Pagan tradition, yule time. Winter solstice day is Friday , 21 December this year.

How many pagans in the room? There’s roughly 57k in the uk.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 17th Nov
fanpages16th Nov

Great first contribution& welcome to the site, @TobyEy,Always good to get …Great first contribution& welcome to the site, @TobyEy,Always good to get a professional sharing hints & tips.Thanks.

Professional what?
fanpages16th Nov

Great first contribution& welcome to the site, @TobyEy,Always good to get …Great first contribution& welcome to the site, @TobyEy,Always good to get a professional sharing hints & tips.Thanks.

tom2kadd159 m ago

Professional what?

"10 Pro Tips and Tricks to Prepare for Black Friday and Cyber Monday"
All i want is a big tv 4 well cheap lol
cmdr_elito17th Nov

lindalucky33 m ago

Kids will understand. You can buy them something cheap and explain why.

All that interest you’d be paying is robbing them of things, the only way to stop that is pay it off then they can have nice things, it also teaches them to live within their means, a lesson many young people don’t understand.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 18th Nov
cmdr_elito3 m ago

Kids will understand. You can buy them something cheap and explain why.All …Kids will understand. You can buy them something cheap and explain why.All that interest you’d be paying is robbing them of things, the only way to stop that is pay it off then they can have nice things, it also teaches them to live within their means, a lesson many young people don’t understand.

Ty Im ok this year Got 2 iphones on my sky acc for 10 n 9.50 a month and they arent getting much after that Theyre teens now and my 5 year old has loads so just few bits,Ppl go nuts n buy buy buy Eldest at uni got pjs n make up n throw her few quid Gd advice do not go into debt 4 christmas
lindalucky7 m ago

Ty Im ok this year Got 2 iphones on my sky acc for 10 n 9.50 a month and …Ty Im ok this year Got 2 iphones on my sky acc for 10 n 9.50 a month and they arent getting much after that Theyre teens now and my 5 year old has loads so just few bits,Ppl go nuts n buy buy buy Eldest at uni got pjs n make up n throw her few quid Gd advice do not go into debt 4 christmas

Yep, people go crazy and think they are helping their kids to have an amazing Christmas but it’s a downward spiral that makes them suffer more in the long run.
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Yep, people go crazy and think they are helping their kids to have an …Yep, people go crazy and think they are helping their kids to have an amazing Christmas but it’s a downward spiral that makes them suffer more in the long run.

Agree Sad that kids seem to think theyre entitled to it And not to get religious The meaning of Christmas gets totally lost
lindalucky1 h, 13 m ago

All i want is a big tv 4 well cheap lol

Unusual source, but Game website is where I got mine last Black Friday, fantastic deals for 55inchers.
Hacked16th Nov

If buying from Amazon, use a price tracker website to see whether what you …If buying from Amazon, use a price tracker website to see whether what you are buying is actually a bargain or not. Some discounts are not what they seem.uk dot camelcamelcamel dot com is pretty good.

Nice recommendation, thanks.

Can you recommend any other price trackers for big vendor websites?
darkstryder3608 m ago

Unusual source, but Game website is where I got mine last Black Friday, …Unusual source, but Game website is where I got mine last Black Friday, fantastic deals for 55inchers.

Cheers ty
cmdr_elito17th Nov

How many pagans in the room? There’s roughly 57k in the uk.

Not got my glasses on but there are at least 12 in my garden... bloomin' nuisance. Coo-coo-ing at all hours...
MildmanneredCalvin5 h, 14 m ago

Nice recommendation, thanks.Can you recommend any other price trackers for …Nice recommendation, thanks.Can you recommend any other price trackers for big vendor websites?

Sorry MmC I cannot; Amazon trackers are the only ones I am aware of... maybe Google it?
cmdr_elito16th Nov

Only buy what you need and don’t be tempted by offers on things you d …Only buy what you need and don’t be tempted by offers on things you don’t.Have a list of items and stick to that list.

Yeah good luck with that
cmdr_elito17th Nov

Fun sponge.
cmdr_elito6 h, 40 m ago

teaches them to live within their means, a lesson many young people don’t u …teaches them to live within their means, a lesson many young people don’t understand.

"We have a brand new Audi A13 turbo 4x4 on PCP, two gold iPhone 14++'s, a 147 inch OLED 8k TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime & 1 terabit broadband, but are struggling to save for a deposit on a house. Waaaaaagggghhhh!"

Probably missed quite a bit out
OoEliteoO6 h, 27 m ago

Fun sponge.

No point having nice things if come July they are taken by bailiffs is there?
Hacked6 h, 6 m ago

"We have a brand new Audi A13 turbo 4x4 on PCP, two gold iPhone 14++'s, a …"We have a brand new Audi A13 turbo 4x4 on PCP, two gold iPhone 14++'s, a 147 inch OLED 8k TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime & 1 terabit broadband, but are struggling to save for a deposit on a house. Waaaaaagggghhhh!" Probably missed quite a bit out

Don’t forget the avocado on toast everyday.....
I actually lost out due to following this advice lol (granted only a few pounds). The alert system is terrible!
lindalucky23 h, 28 m ago

Ty Im ok this year Got 2 iphones on my sky acc for 10 n 9.50 a month and …Ty Im ok this year Got 2 iphones on my sky acc for 10 n 9.50 a month and they arent getting much after that Theyre teens now and my 5 year old has loads so just few bits,Ppl go nuts n buy buy buy Eldest at uni got pjs n make up n throw her few quid Gd advice do not go into debt 4 christmas

wut?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants