Found 24th Sep 2007
newsimg.bbc.co.uk/med…jpg

Computer enthusiasts in the developed world will soon be able to get their hands on the so-called "$100 laptop".

The organisation behind the project has launched the "give one, get one" scheme that will allow US residents to purchase two laptops for $399 (£198).

One laptop will be sent to the buyer whilst a child in the developing world will receive the second machine

The G1G1 scheme, as it is known, will offer the laptops for just two weeks, starting on the 12 November.

The offer to the general public comes after the project's founder admitted that concrete orders from the governments of developing nations had not always followed verbal agreements

Nicholas Negroponte told the New York Times: "I have to some degree underestimated the difference between shaking the hand of a head of state and having a cheque written.

"And yes, it has been a disappointment."

Walter Bender, head of software development at One Laptop per Child (OLPC), told the BBC News website: "From day one there's been a lot of interest expressed in having some way of people in the developed world participate in the programme."

Price hike

The XO laptop has been developed to be used by children and is as low cost, durable and simple to use as possible.

It packs several innovations including a sunlight readable display so that it can be used outside. It has no moving parts, can be powered by solar, foot-pump or pull-string powered chargers and is housed in a waterproof case.

more.......
news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
29 Comments

The trouble is that it isn't a $100 laptop is it? It's a $200 laptop.

Banned

Really its a $400 laptop, just to be able to get one for yourself

If you want one, you have to buy someone else one...

Scribbles

The trouble is that it isn't a $100 laptop is it? It's a $200 laptop.

Still works out £100!, bargain!

Original Poster

xogiving.org/

You could just donate one if you wish.

Sloth/Mod

What a con. If i buy 2 i want 2. I'd rather donate the other one to a charity at home.

Original Poster

Syzable

What a con. If i buy 2 i want 2. I'd rather donate the other one to a … What a con. If i buy 2 i want 2. I'd rather donate the other one to a charity at home.

How is it a con. They are telling you what your buying from the start. :roll:

Sloth/Mod

stora

How is it a con. They are telling you what your buying from the start. … How is it a con. They are telling you what your buying from the start. :roll:

I mean in the fact that they are making you donate it to some half baked cause without giving you the choice. :thumbsup:

It would be better if they just charged £100 and gave the £50 to charity themselves.......

Banned

stora

How is it a con. They are telling you what your buying from the start. … How is it a con. They are telling you what your buying from the start. :roll:

Its a con because they are making money on two builds. Sounds like a way for a company to dramatically increase their sales by twofold - and you pay for it - but they take the credit!

I kinda agree with syzable. I'd rather donate one to the NSPCC or something, rather than some kid in Soweto that is probably off the grid anyway.
When all is said and done, i'd rather be supporting poor kids in the UK rather than Africa. I'll probably be flamed for the statement, but I just get so sick of how we are expected to take the PC line by supporting people in other countries, whilst leaving some kids in our own country to live in poverty.
When push comes to shove, it's a dog eat dog world. You can't save the whole world, when even govts don't seem to give a toss.

Original Poster

guv

Its a con because they are making money on two builds. Sounds like a way … Its a con because they are making money on two builds. Sounds like a way for a company to dramatically increase their sales by twofold - and you pay for it - but they take the credit!

You'll be telling me bogof is a con next

Sloth/Mod

stora

I think you need to accept that many people are now fed up of helping these causes where historically your money and generosity goes to waste and gets swallowed up by the rich before it reaches the poor.

I personally wouldn't want to buy one just to find out it's probably going to end up the wrong hands. And as pointed out earlier there are in my opinion many more causes i'd rather help. Charity starts at home after all.

Banned

stora

Why would I say that?

Syzable

I think you need to accept that many people are now fed up of helping … I think you need to accept that many people are now fed up of helping these causes where historically your money and generosity goes to waste and gets swallowed up by the rich before it reaches the poor.I personally wouldn't want to buy one just to find out it's probably going to end up the wrong hands. And as pointed out earlier there are in my opinion many more causes i'd rather help. Charity starts at home after all.

Your right most of the money we send abroad gets swallowed up by admin. Id much rather my money went to something like the RNLI.

Banned

ryancs

Your right most of the money we send abroad gets swallowed up by admin. … Your right most of the money we send abroad gets swallowed up by admin. Id much rather my money went to something like the RNLI.

Yup, quite agree.

If it has no moving parts then how come on its breakdown of costs it states $41 for mechanical?

Anyone getting one of these?

them people n the picture at the top have more laptops than the local school here.

Banned

Syzable

I mean in the fact that they are making you donate it to some half baked … I mean in the fact that they are making you donate it to some half baked cause without giving you the choice. :thumbsup:

not really as some phone in things do a WE GIVE 10p TO CHARITY lol

why not just give us the call 10p cheaper then?
instead of going to 3rd world countries

my oppinion is that they do these and tell us about it as we all know if we lived in a 3rd world country we would need help from other countries but we actually are lucky and take things for granted,

Banned

ryancs

Your right most of the money we send abroad gets swallowed up by admin. … Your right most of the money we send abroad gets swallowed up by admin. Id much rather my money went to something like the RNLI.

your problies right but we dont get receipts for our money or proof of what its spent on and the amount of money we give them and their countrys are still no further forward.

what i dont get is why not donate to some kids in this country there are plenty of schools that dont have enough equipment in this country i know its tragic about other countries being so poor but its not our fault its their goverment!!!

same goes with the starving children ads, what about the poor kids over here:x

rant over

ps i thought that food would be of more use then a laptop:roll:

ilovepink

same goes with the starving children ads, what about the poor kids over … same goes with the starving children ads, what about the poor kids over here:x

There are no starving children in this country.That there may be some children living below what WE consider the poverty line may not be in dispute,that some children are not looked after by their families properly and are neglected is not in dispute.....BUT....children starving in Africa is a very real daily occurrence,starving is going from day to day without nourishment of any kind,not knowing when they are likely to get ANY food,babies dying because mothers are starving and cannot produce breast milk etc.

There are many charitable causes that are worthy of donations both here and worldwide,choose to give to whichever you want,but you cannot compare schools lacking in equipment with the plight of millions in Africa!

Original Poster

Usual legarthy and I'm all right Jack syndrome

The whole thing's bull anyway. One newly-built, $200 laptop per child? Why not one second-hand PC per child, cobbled together out of unwanted old parts? It would consume more power and wouldn't be as easy to steal (portable, I meant to type, silly me), but how much do second-hand 200MHz Pentium systems sell for these days? A fiver?

The whole project's tainted by delusions of necessity and alterior motives of dubious intent. I wouldn't donate them a penny. Might donate them some spare bits if they change their plans, mind you.

Oh, and to be ever-so-slightly racist, aren't 99% of the scam emails in my junk mailbox from 'developing countries'?

muckypup

There are no starving children in this country.That there may be some … There are no starving children in this country.That there may be some children living below what WE consider the poverty line may not be in dispute,that some children are not looked after by their families properly and are neglected is not in dispute.....BUT....children starving in Africa is a very real daily occurrence,starving is going from day to day without nourishment of any kind,not knowing when they are likely to get ANY food,babies dying because mothers are starving and cannot produce breast milk etc.There are many charitable causes that are worthy of donations both here and worldwide,choose to give to whichever you want,but you cannot compare schools lacking in equipment with the plight of millions in Africa!

Agreed :thumbsup:

There is no way you can argue that our countries children need the money more than children starving in the third world countries..

I'd rather have local school with perfect equipment than send even 1p to foreign help. Been there, done that, as they say...
Remember the Tchernobyl charities, collecting monies for Belarus? Most of it (after the high-in-ranks digged through the pile of goods and took what they wanted) ended up in marketplace. Of course, some part of donations reached their recipients, but only for TV propaganda purposes... And at that time I lived in Belarus, so I remember the situation pretty well.

So if you want to give money to charity - give it to your school, pensioners, army men who fought for this country, ill children, etc. Just don't send it abroad.

Have these got HDMI ports? And is it better than the deal mikeT posted yesterday?

dxx

The whole thing's bull anyway. One newly-built, $200 laptop per child? … The whole thing's bull anyway. One newly-built, $200 laptop per child? Why not one second-hand PC per child, cobbled together out of unwanted old parts? It would consume more power and wouldn't be as easy to steal (portable, I meant to type, silly me), but how much do second-hand 200MHz Pentium systems sell for these days? A fiver?

My wife's partners (business) wife (got it??) Takes regular trips out to Africa. She is part of a charity that takes older but serviceable pcs to schools, hospitals etc. Sets them up and teaches them how to use them. How many 'old' pcs must there be in a year in Britain alone. Seems good way of helping to me.

They also recycle the tents from T in the Park and have even asked some of the big football teams for old strips to kit out local schools. That is making use of unwanted stuff and goes direct to the poeple intended for!!

Personally I think there far too little of the 'cash' aid we give gets to where it is needed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How much should fitting bathroom cost612
    2. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…22
    3. What shoes are these?11
    4. Hi all does anyone have an idea for n what a good price for a sun room / ex…44

See more discussions