100 Years Since The Balfour Declaration

Found 2nd Nov 2017
On 2 November 1917, British Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour sent a letter to Lord Walter Rothschild, a prominent Zionist, which became known as the Balfour Declaration.

In it, the British government promised Palestine to the Zionists - and did so without consulting Palestinians, British Jews, or the wider British population. While Palestinian Arabs at the time made up 90 per cent of the territory's 700,000 population, they were bizarrely only referred to as "existing non-Jewish communities". The letter also said "that nothing should be done to prejudice" their "civil and religious rights".

While the Theresa May's Gov will be celebrating with the Israeli PM, the Palestinians and others have called on the UK Gov to apologise for the human suffering which resulted from its actions.

Is the UK Gov right to celebrate the centenary?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
splender1 m ago

aka Mr. Copy-Paste

quoting historians is better than making it up.
45 Comments
Yes it merely resets the holy land. Some ancient history - Israel existed prior to the existence of Christianity and Islam and the Balfour declaration and the ensuing unjust attack by the league of hateful Arab nations!

Named after the Hebrew patriarch Jacob (also known as Yisrae’el, `persevere with God’) and, by extension, his nation, Israel was, at first, the region allegedly conquered by the Hebrew General Joshua around 1250 BCE. The biblical book of Exodus tells the story of the Egyptianized Hebrew leader Moses and how he led his people out of slavery in Egypt to the “promised land” of Canaan.

Israel developed into a united kingdom under the leadership of King David (c.1000-960 BCE) who consolidated the various tribes under his single rule (having taken over from Israel’s first king, Saul, who ruled circa 1020 BCE). David chose the Canaanite city of Jerusalem as his capital and is said to have had the Ark of the Covenant moved there. As the Ark was thought to contain the living presence of God, bringing it to Jerusalem would have made the city both a political and religious center of considerable importance.

BBC iPlayer link below discusses Balfour history and result from both sides.

The Balfour Declaration: Britain's Promise to the Holy Land100 years ago, just 67 words on a single sheet of paper lit a fire in the Holy Land, igniting the most intractable conflict of modern times. The Balfour Declaration was the first time the British government endorsed the establishment of 'a national home for the Jewish people' in Palestine. While many Palestinians see it as a betrayal, many Israelis believe it was the foundation stone of modern Israel and the salvation of the Jews.The legacy of the declaration is one that BBC reporter Jane Corbin has watched unfold over the last 30 years - charting the conflict on both sides. But it is also a story that Jane has a personal connection to. One of her own ancestors, Leo Amery, a British politician and Cabinet minister, played a key part in drafting the original declaration and then oversaw Britain's governance of Palestine in the 1920s.Now, on a journey starting in her home village, Jane explores what Leo did and whether the aspirations of The Balfour Declaration - for both sides to live peacefully and prosper together - were doomed to inevitable failure or if there is still hope of a peaceful solution in the Holy Land?

a heavy weight subject matter thread, very hard to do a snatch, then clean and jerk
davewave3 m ago

Yes it merely resets the holy land. Some ancient history - Israel existed …Yes it merely resets the holy land. Some ancient history - Israel existed prior to the existence of Christianity and Islam and the Balfour declaration and the ensuing unjust attack by the league of hateful Arab nations!Named after the Hebrew patriarch Jacob (also known as Yisrae’el, `persevere with God’) and, by extension, his nation, Israel was, at first, the region allegedly conquered by the Hebrew General Joshua around 1250 BCE. The biblical book of Exodus tells the story of the Egyptianized Hebrew leader Moses and how he led his people out of slavery in Egypt to the “promised land” of Canaan. Israel developed into a united kingdom under the leadership of King David (c.1000-960 BCE) who consolidated the various tribes under his single rule (having taken over from Israel’s first king, Saul, who ruled circa 1020 BCE). David chose the Canaanite city of Jerusalem as his capital and is said to have had the Ark of the Covenant moved there. As the Ark was thought to contain the living presence of God, bringing it to Jerusalem would have made the city both a political and religious center of considerable importance.BBC iPlayer link below discusses Balfour history and result from both sides.The Balfour Declaration: Britain's Promise to the Holy Land100 years ago, just 67 words on a single sheet of paper lit a fire in the Holy Land, igniting the most intractable conflict of modern times. The Balfour Declaration was the first time the British government endorsed the establishment of 'a national home for the Jewish people' in Palestine. While many Palestinians see it as a betrayal, many Israelis believe it was the foundation stone of modern Israel and the salvation of the Jews.The legacy of the declaration is one that BBC reporter Jane Corbin has watched unfold over the last 30 years - charting the conflict on both sides. But it is also a story that Jane has a personal connection to. One of her own ancestors, Leo Amery, a British politician and Cabinet minister, played a key part in drafting the original declaration and then oversaw Britain's governance of Palestine in the 1920s.Now, on a journey starting in her home village, Jane explores what Leo did and whether the aspirations of The Balfour Declaration - for both sides to live peacefully and prosper together - were doomed to inevitable failure or if there is still hope of a peaceful solution in the Holy Land?

aka Mr. Copy-Paste
Well the letter, the Jewish Invention of the car bomb and a pile of murdered British Soldiers and Arabs.
splender1 m ago

aka Mr. Copy-Paste

This country does seem to be the root cause of a number of conflicts and tensions around the world.
And yet we still continue to interfere and continue to wonder why so many people hate us.
davewave3 m ago

Quoting is an essential technique, however it is more interesting and higher quality with some analytical results (from evidence based sources) and/or with a summary conclusion/opinion, sometimes.
splender4 m ago

Quoting is an essential technique, however it is more interesting and …Quoting is an essential technique, however it is more interesting and higher quality with some analytical results (from evidence based sources) and/or with a summary conclusion/opinion, sometimes.

Thanks, that's made things so much clearer.

You really have a way with the English language. Its so generous of you to teach others, erudite and eloquent.
"Is the UK Gov right to celebrate the centenary?"

Depends on which side of the devide you are on.
Destard11 m ago

This country does seem to be the root cause of a number of conflicts and …This country does seem to be the root cause of a number of conflicts and tensions around the world.And yet we still continue to interfere and continue to wonder why so many people hate us.

No wonder, terrorists and dictators want more power - that's precisely why they spread hate about UK which stands for democracy, freedom and an open free secular society.
davewave8 m ago

No wonder, terrorists and dictators want more power - that's precisely why …No wonder, terrorists and dictators want more power - that's precisely why they spread hate about UK which stands for democracy, freedom and an open free secular society.

Dear Dave, not sure I see the link between my observation and your response.
Please elaborate.
Destard5 m ago

Dear Dave, not sure I see the link between my observation and your …Dear Dave, not sure I see the link between my observation and your response.Please elaborate.

No need to elaborate - just read it again or accept the concept of the freedoms we enjoy in the UK are at odds with fools with guns/bombs and hatred for the West.

Perhaps you could then get back on topic?
Turn your back and let them do what they got to do to sort it all out.
Destard54 m ago

This country does seem to be the root cause of a number of conflicts and …This country does seem to be the root cause of a number of conflicts and tensions around the world.And yet we still continue to interfere and continue to wonder why so many people hate us.

Israelis don’t hate the UK, they just consider the nation irrelevant.
groenleader33 m ago

Turn your back and let them do what they got to do to sort it all out. …Turn your back and let them do what they got to do to sort it all out.

No way am I turning my back on anyone and letting them do what they got to do.
davewave57 m ago

No need to elaborate - just read it again or accept the concept of the …No need to elaborate - just read it again or accept the concept of the freedoms we enjoy in the UK are at odds with fools with guns/bombs and hatred for the West. Perhaps you could then get back on topic?

Dear Dave, I note you seem rather grumpy in recent threads where people are not replying the way you would want them to.
I'm sorry if I live in a country where I can do that.

So again, could you please explain your strange response to my observation pertaining to overseas conflicts and interference from this country and people hating us for it?
Uilleam1734 m ago

They are probably making out of it either way on the quiet,shares in this …They are probably making out of it either way on the quiet,shares in this and shares in that,war is very profitable.

I'm told SodaStream is made in Israel.
Maybe Theresa is trying to negotiate a bulk order for Downing Street?
ISRAEL IS A BEACON OF DEMOCRACY BESET ON ALL SIDES BY A TRUE HEART OF RELIGIOUS DARKNESS

This country is one of the global leaders in science, medicine, technology. This country whose mere existence can cause outrage in the backward 6th century desert kingdoms that surround it is one thing the UK should be proud of. The Israelis laid down their weapons and welcomed their Muslim (religion of peace and love) neighbours they would be slaughtered in the streets, the dead would also include the 40% of Arabs who make up the population.

ALSO M+S do really nice underwear
Destard1 h, 2 m ago

I'm told SodaStream is made in Israel.Maybe Theresa is trying to negotiate …I'm told SodaStream is made in Israel.Maybe Theresa is trying to negotiate a bulk order for Downing Street?

or maybe to discuss security and technology, both countries face similarly mindless terrorists ...

RANKING - 2017 BLOOMBERG INNOVATION INDEX - 1st South Korea, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Singapore, Japan, Denmark, the United States and 10th Israel.
letter to the Guardian

Following the 1917 Balfour declaration, Sharif Hussein, leader of the Arab Revolt, urged the Arabs to “welcome the Jews as brethren and cooperate with them for the common welfare”. Those wise words were ignored by the Palestinian Arab leadership then, and continue to be ignored by President Mahmoud Abbas now (Britain must atone for Balfour and 100 years of suffering, Opinion, 1 November).

Rather than “negating the Arab-Palestinian right to self-determination”, President Abbas knows that Britain repeatedly put forward proposals that would have led to Palestinian independence. Even when, in 1937, Britain tabled a partition plan offering the Jews a mere 15% of the land, the Palestinian leadership refused, believing that negating my people’s right to self-determination took precedence over sovereignty for their own people.

Looking back over the past century, it is easy for the Palestinians to blame Israel, Britain and others, while ignoring their own culpability (which includes the Grand Mufti’s alliance with Hitler). Had the Palestinians pursued negotiations instead of extremism and confrontation, perhaps President Abbas would correctly recognise Balfour today as a positive step towards Jewish statehood, and not be so embittered by the failure of his own leadership to achieve sovereignty for his people.
Mark Regev
Israel’s ambassador to the UK

Israel - where a bunch of people moved in as immigrants en masse and then the natives became the immigrants and have been persecuted for decades.

Anyone who defends Israel needs to put their head in an aligator's mouth.
People here moan about religion, turn blind eye to a nation handed over to a bunch of people based on religion.

They are all Semitic
Graham19793 h, 23 m ago

ISRAEL IS A BEACON OF DEMOCRACY BESET ON ALL SIDES BY A TRUE HEART OF …ISRAEL IS A BEACON OF DEMOCRACY BESET ON ALL SIDES BY A TRUE HEART OF RELIGIOUS DARKNESSThis country is one of the global leaders in science, medicine, technology. This country whose mere existence can cause outrage in the backward 6th century desert kingdoms that surround it is one thing the UK should be proud of. The Israelis laid down their weapons and welcomed their Muslim (religion of peace and love) neighbours they would be slaughtered in the streets, the dead would also include the 40% of Arabs who make up the population.ALSO M+S do really nice underwear

How would you react if you and your country were kicked out of your home?
davewave2 h, 49 m ago

letter to the GuardianFollowing the 1917 Balfour declaration, Sharif …letter to the GuardianFollowing the 1917 Balfour declaration, Sharif Hussein, leader of the Arab Revolt, urged the Arabs to “welcome the Jews as brethren and cooperate with them for the common welfare”. Those wise words were ignored by the Palestinian Arab leadership then, and continue to be ignored by President Mahmoud Abbas now (Britain must atone for Balfour and 100 years of suffering, Opinion, 1 November).Rather than “negating the Arab-Palestinian right to self-determination”, President Abbas knows that Britain repeatedly put forward proposals that would have led to Palestinian independence. Even when, in 1937, Britain tabled a partition plan offering the Jews a mere 15% of the land, the Palestinian leadership refused, believing that negating my people’s right to self-determination took precedence over sovereignty for their own people.Looking back over the past century, it is easy for the Palestinians to blame Israel, Britain and others, while ignoring their own culpability (which includes the Grand Mufti’s alliance with Hitler). Had the Palestinians pursued negotiations instead of extremism and confrontation, perhaps President Abbas would correctly recognise Balfour today as a positive step towards Jewish statehood, and not be so embittered by the failure of his own leadership to achieve sovereignty for his people.Mark RegevIsrael’s ambassador to the UK

A tad bias by Ragev. The Palestinians did not want to give up their land as simple as that. Agreements were made without their consent.

Also maybe you should look at the historians who have said that the ultra Zionist Jews who currently live in Israel have 0 heritage on the land. Most jews within the time they lost the land converted to Christianity and Islam. Whilst the heritage of the Jews living in Israel today are from the khazar empire.
Edited by: "Hypnotise786" 2nd Nov 2017
But we should agree, with history we can look back and say something that happened was WRONG.

But it is still WRONG not to put the situation right.

The UK, the world at large has moral duty to put Palestine on map and give them fair rights now.
Hypnotise78636 m ago

They were my little buttercup that's the point!
groenleader14 m ago

But we should agree, with history we can look back and say something that …But we should agree, with history we can look back and say something that happened was WRONG. But it is still WRONG not to put the situation right. The UK, the world at large has moral duty to put Palestine on map and give them fair rights now.

How would you accomplish that, What are you suggesting?
Graham19791 h, 29 m ago

They were my little buttercup that's the point!

And what was the experience like? Did you have a nice place to go to? Hot water, electricity, a cosy bed? Did you have soldiers around your new home who have beaten and restricted you for decades? Were you angry, sad or happy that it happened to you?
Edited by: "Hypnotise786" 2nd Nov 2017
CookinBat20 m ago

How would you accomplish that, What are you suggesting?

Give the people who want a state a state, just like 100 years ago Britain agreed to let people who wanted a state a state. The same people who wanted this 100 years ago were also known as terrorists, look up irgun who rebranded as a political party and now are known as likud.
Hypnotise7861 h, 56 m ago

Give the people who want a state a state, just like 100 years ago Britain …Give the people who want a state a state, just like 100 years ago Britain agreed to let people who wanted a state a state. The same people who wanted this 100 years ago were also known as terrorists, look up irgun who rebranded as a political party and now are known as likud.

What would your view be to a homeland for Palestians being made up of Land that included Gaza and the northern part of the Sinai desert. Israel would exchange land with Egypt.

Aljazeera link
Hypnotise7869 h, 37 m ago

I'd think I'd be very alarmed and confused if my country fitted into my home, I'm sure that breaks many international laws of physics.
It's interesting that the world doesn't share the same concerns to the 15 million people that were uprooted when India was given independence and modern day Pakistan was born. 1 to 2 million died
I always thought that the jews weren't really slaves in Egypt in the first place. Is that not the view of most historians?
Hypnotise78611 h, 27 m ago

A tad bias by Ragev. The Palestinians did not want to give up their land …A tad bias by Ragev. The Palestinians did not want to give up their land as simple as that. Agreements were made without their consent.Also maybe you should look at the historians who have said that the ultra Zionist Jews who currently live in Israel have 0 heritage on the land. Most jews within the time they lost the land converted to Christianity and Islam. Whilst the heritage of the Jews living in Israel today are from the khazar empire.

Refuting the Khazar Myth:
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 10 m ago

I'd think I'd be very alarmed and confused if my country fitted into my …I'd think I'd be very alarmed and confused if my country fitted into my home, I'm sure that breaks many international laws of physics.

Hahaha apologies, I meant if people of your country were kicked out of their homes.
OllieSt19 m ago

Refuting the Khazar Myth:

That article fails to acknowledge why there was a massive increase of Jews in Europe following the end of the Khazar empire. It also does not mention the increase of Christians and Muslims conversion from Judaism within the middle east following the arrival of Christianity and Islam.
Meanwhile Corbyn snubs a dinner invite to mark this occasion in favour of attending an event held by extremist group MEND
Hypnotise7864 h, 28 m ago

That article fails to acknowledge why there was a massive increase of Jews …That article fails to acknowledge why there was a massive increase of Jews in Europe following the end of the Khazar empire.

And what you fail to take on board is that genetic mapping has laid that centuries old myth to rest. But hey ho, carry on with what suits.
OllieSt41 m ago

And what you fail to take on board is that genetic mapping has laid that …And what you fail to take on board is that genetic mapping has laid that centuries old myth to rest. But hey ho, carry on with what suits.

Genetic mapping? A shoddy article that claims a few(without any references) have been genetically sampled to prove where their ancestors have come from does not prove anything.
davewave22 h, 50 m ago

What about cherry picking historians?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants