Groups

105 pounds for a hoody?

Hi there. Its my sons 15th birthday coming up. He has asked if he could get a stone island hoody for his birthday. This hoody costs 105 pounds which i think is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a hoody. He has offered to spend his own money but im not sure. He also said it is half price off. What do you guys think? Any previous buyers of this brand reckon its worth it.

P.S it is a mens size just to clarify

61 Comments

£105 for a hoody, I would want special powers to be bestowed on me for that.

Original Poster

shadey12

£105 for a hoody, I would want special powers to be bestowed on me for … £105 for a hoody, I would want special powers to be bestowed on me for that.

Lol thats what i was thinking

Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't care, but then again if you can't afford to spend £105 then look for cheaper alternatives. Personally for me I wouldn't ever spend that much on clothes but if a family member wanted it and asked me to buy it for them then sure why not, they'll appreciate it and wear it all the time so it shouldn't matter to me if I can afford to pay for it. To me there's no difference spending £100 on a hoody or £100 on a console/phone/games/tickets etc for somebody else to enjoy, if I can afford it.
    Edited by: "cameronswift" 7th Oct 2016

Original Poster

cameronswift

Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't … Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't care, but then again if you can't afford to spend £105 then look for cheaper alternatives. Personally for me I wouldn't ever spend that much on clothes but if a family member wanted it and asked me to buy it for them then sure why not, they'll appreciate it and wear it all the time so it shouldn't matter to me if I can afford to pay for it. To me there's no difference spending £100 on a hoody or £100 on a console/phone/games/tickets etc for somebody else to enjoy.

thanks for that very thoughtful answer

Don't know the brand myself, but I would be nervous every time I popped it in the washing machine at that price
    Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 7th Oct 2016

Stone island is a good brand! Buy him it. Make him a happy kid!

Original Poster

Idk might have to dry clean? Besides dont wash hoodies too often anyway

Original Poster

barginhunter1997

Stone island is a good brand! Buy him it. Make him a happy kid!

Any previous experience?

With the brand, yes I own a hat, hoodie and couple jeans. I wouldn't be too worried! Invest in good clothes as they tend to last.

steal it, whilst wearing a cheap hoodie to avoid detection

Original Poster

barginhunter1997

With the brand, yes I own a hat, hoodie and couple jeans. I wouldn't be … With the brand, yes I own a hat, hoodie and couple jeans. I wouldn't be too worried! Invest in good clothes as they tend to last.

what would you say about the quality

Original Poster

random_dude

steal it, whilst wearing a cheap hoodie to avoid detection

Of course why didnt i think of that

you only live once and he will only be 15 once.. im about to pay £42 for two T shirts because my 15 yr old daughter wants them for her birthday.. some cool vine / you tube stylee thing i have absolutely no comprehension of! but i love her.....

Original Poster

rickryder1

you only live once and he will only be 15 once.. im about to pay £42 for … you only live once and he will only be 15 once.. im about to pay £42 for two T shirts because my 15 yr old daughter wants them for her birthday.. some cool vine / you tube stylee thing i have absolutely no comprehension of! but i love her.....

thanks

zeeshansalmanmujtaba

Hi there. Its my sons 15th birthday coming up. He has asked if he … Hi there. Its my sons 15th birthday coming up. He has asked if he could get a stone island hoody for his birthday. This hoody costs 105 pounds which i think is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a hoody. He has offered to spend his own money but im not sure. He also said it is half price off. What do you guys think? Any previous buyers of this brand reckon its worth it.P.S it is a mens size just to clarify

SI are expensive, BUT they do wash up very nice indeed and are very well made, nice piece of clothing to own, and are a premium brand which will stand him in good stead with his peers.

T-shirts aside, very few items are below the £100 range, and £105 may sound a lot for a hoody, but it sounds like it could well be half price, sweatshirts, jumpers are £160+, with jackets in the £300+ bracket.

Stone Island is the football hooligans go to fashion brand.

It's a brand worn by yobs and wannabe yobs.

seabs

Stone Island is the football hooligans go to fashion brand. It's a brand … Stone Island is the football hooligans go to fashion brand. It's a brand worn by yobs and wannabe yobs.

​I said the same thing but my comment was blocked

worth only £5 if loses the Stone island label.

But then wont be seen as a yob either.

cameronswift

Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't … Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't care, but then again if you can't afford to spend £105 then look for cheaper alternatives. Personally for me I wouldn't ever spend that much on clothes but if a family member wanted it and asked me to buy it for them then sure why not, they'll appreciate it and wear it all the time so it shouldn't matter to me if I can afford to pay for it. To me there's no difference spending £100 on a hoody or £100 on a console/phone/games/tickets etc for somebody else to enjoy, if I can afford it.

​Very well said!!!

My son (also 15) recently saved up and purchased a Stone Island Jumper. At first I tried to talk him out of it as it was a lot money, but he insisted that it was what he wanted to spend his cash on. Having now seen the quality of the material and the way in which it washes up, along with the pride he has in wearing it. I feel that he will get the wear out of it for quite a while, so maybe an investment piece of clothing in the long run.

stone island where i live is only worn by wannabe hoolies and football casuals. i'd give it a miss.

He's just turning 15 so to those people saying it'll last a long time because it's quality - sure it might, but he'll outgrow it rather quickly.

I guess if it were a situation where you have a budget for his birthday and he wants to buy this, then why not. If it turns out to be a bad idea you can always do the good old 'you remember when you spent £105 on a hoody?'

Maybe go down the store with or without him and see what they're like. But remember this whole "it's half price" is a load of tosh, it's overpriced for a hoody but we're only young and dumb for so long!

Go on aliexpress or one of those shops and get them. Great quality knock offs that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference

ClaireGeorgieB

My son (also 15) recently saved up and purchased a Stone Island Jumper. … My son (also 15) recently saved up and purchased a Stone Island Jumper. At first I tried to talk him out of it as it was a lot money, but he insisted that it was what he wanted to spend his cash on. Having now seen the quality of the material and the way in which it washes up, along with the pride he has in wearing it. I feel that he will get the wear out of it for quite a while, so maybe an investment piece of clothing in the long run.

I'm not sure any item of clothing purchased for a 15 year old can be considered an investment to be honest , it is very rare for a child of this age to still wear the same jumper say 2 years later , let alone 3 , 4, or 5 years.

Prices for these items will remain ridiculously high just as long as people keep paying these daft prices. There is no real way of justifying it to be honest, you would just be trying to convince yourself its a good purchase when you know you are being fleeced by around £70 over and above what a comparable quality hoody would cost you.

You are paying for the brand name so the kids can show off to their mates ,feeling good about themselves in the process. I guess you already know that though.

As you get older you realise how obscene it really is , whilst you are young you really still have no idea , I know I didn't.

Parenting can be so difficult as you want your kids to be happy ,feel good about themselves and fit in and yet you also want your kids to appreciate the value of money so it is a real pressure and difficult to find a balance , particularly for families who need to keep a lid on their spending

I know , in this case you mentioned that your son was willing to pay for this himself with his own money so it would be fair to say he would understand the value of the purchase , particularly if he had nothing left after it lol.

I have done a quick search on Ebay and there may be some residual value in the jumper which may help , if someone is willing to pay £50-£60 for a 2nd hand jumper then I suppose some could be recouped this way when he doesn't want to wear it anymore in 18 months time and you still remember the conversation you had with him recently , like it was yesterday !
    Problem is , in 18months time when another brand has upstaged Stone Island , the rresidual values will fade dramatically as nobody will want to wear them any more , lol

Who would be a parent ey ? !!!

Edited by: "rooney10" 7th Oct 2016

Banned

imagine if he was walking in a street and someone walked past and pulls it off and does a runner. I'd rather get him a shirt or a jacket for that much

In before he leaves it on the bus / train / friends house / stolen from school never to be seen again. Just kidding.

Stone Island quality isn't worth £105. My advise is get a Superdry one instead. They are great quality and alot cheaper £45-65

tommyleinen

In before he leaves it on the bus / train / friends house / stolen from … In before he leaves it on the bus / train / friends house / stolen from school never to be seen again. Just kidding.

All possible scenarios which many a parent can relate too unfortunately

seabs

Stone Island is the football hooligans go to fashion brand. It's a brand … Stone Island is the football hooligans go to fashion brand. It's a brand worn by yobs and wannabe yobs.

Your absolutely right, they ras nown to e the football hooligan go too brand,they do make nice clothes though and also made form decent materials to high standards. Not sure if it's worth the money but then again all clothes are expensive for what they are. I would personally buy it as a present if the receiver is going to be happy and appreciate it.

leostainton91

Stone Island quality isn't worth £105. My advise is get a Superdry one … Stone Island quality isn't worth £105. My advise is get a Superdry one instead. They are great quality and alot cheaper £45-65

I agree the price tag is high but then again, the quality of super dry cannot be compared to stone island, both are good and it's like anything, the more you pay the better the quality is (usually)

Buy it... in 40 years time he will be picking your care home..........you do want a good one don't you?

seriously you are going to get the value just for feeling like super dad when he receives it... so enjoy the day...

Buy your kid one of these fleeces with the wolf howling at the moon. Unlimited cool factor

if that wht he wants.

cameronswift

Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't … Doesn't matter how much it costs. If he appreciates it then you shouldn't care, but then again if you can't afford to spend £105 then look for cheaper alternatives. Personally for me I wouldn't ever spend that much on clothes but if a family member wanted it and asked me to buy it for them then sure why not, they'll appreciate it and wear it all the time so it shouldn't matter to me if I can afford to pay for it. To me there's no difference spending £100 on a hoody or £100 on a console/phone/games/tickets etc for somebody else to enjoy, if I can afford it.

Upvoted you. Don't know why you were downvoted so much.

ebay bnwt half the price

MadeDixonsCry

Upvoted you. Don't know why you were downvoted so much.

Oh well, can't make everyone happy. For many people £105 for a hoody is ridiculous and not worth arguing if it is worth it or not. I remember when my brother wanted one of those CoD Prestige Editions when he was a kid, probably the biggest rip off ever for my mum but it was worth it with the use we got out of it.

If you can afford it now and again in the future as he will ask for more then go ahead.
    Remember that giving in starts a slippery slope.

Don't see the problem, if that's what he wants why not ? He hasn't asked for a lot of expensive items and as he wants it he will wear it.
    Be a great parent and buy it him, I would of bought it my son

I think Fatface have a sale starting in a few days - could be Sunday - and you hould be able to get some excellent trendy hoodies there for a fraction of the price of that stoneisland one. Good quality, trendy, hip, whatever. Just saying.

rickryder1

Buy it... in 40 years time he will be picking your care home..........you … Buy it... in 40 years time he will be picking your care home..........you do want a good one don't you?seriously you are going to get the value just for feeling like super dad when he receives it... so enjoy the day...

Stats show that most children do not hang around to look after their parents unfortunately. We have created a very selfish few generations of people - probably due to buying them whatever they want when they want it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want some backless loafers for men44
      2. Phone "Upgrade"47
      3. Parcel Hero weight adjustment58
      4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2854

See more discussions