1080 ti Based Gaming PC Pre-Build or Part Picker

Found 28th Nov 2017
Hi all,
Having done research for a week whilst away with work, I'm looking for a Desktop to buy that will be "future-proof" for a number of years (yes, technology does develop, but my 5 year old laptop won't cut it anymore).

Currently my thoughts are on the 7600k 1080 ti:

ebay.co.uk/itm…159

or

The 7700k with 1080 ti:

ebay.co.uk/itm…852

Currently, parkpicker has this £100 cheaper using different parts:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…twV

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…xnn

However, whilst £100 is a slight difference, this will not cover the labour or warranty (on site included in above prices).

Is there ultimately a better/ equivalent pre-build for another price, OR

A better/ equivalent build list that will make a significant saving?

(Additionally, "cheap parts" are a complaint about pre-builds, as such, cheap parts will be misleading to a picker list to allow for the saving)
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Don't touch anything below coffee lake as hex and above cores is the future. Go for the 1080 or a 1070 ti instead of the 1080 ti as you can save the extra for the next gen.

I would build your own as you will need the skill set to upgrade the components later anyway.
There's an i7 8700k option for £1620, with an eyesore of a case and no onsite warranty..

ebay.co.uk/itm…119

Edit: As to building own and swap overs, yes, it is very true that the skills will be required, however, work constraints mean minimal time at home, and no warranty included...
Edited by: "Loyalski" 28th Nov 2017
Loyalski1 h, 6 m ago

There's an i7 8700k option for £1620, with an eyesore of a case and no …There's an i7 8700k option for £1620, with an eyesore of a case and no onsite warranty..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182171937119Edit: As to building own and swap overs, yes, it is very true that the skills will be required, however, work constraints mean minimal time at home, and no warranty included...

It's very rare for high end parts to fail in the first year. I've built a lot of PCs since 94 and only had a Barton CPU fail in the 1st year. It's normally out of warranty by the time you have an issue and most of these warranty only cover the 1st year onsite and the rest you have to return to them.

If you want something nice and generic then you're going to have to pay top dollar for it. If you want something bespoke then you're going to have to invest some time and money into it but it will look a lot better than most of these pre builds. Most these builds on ebay have a cheap £40 case with a GTX 1080, good CPU but poor everything else.

For £1600 you could build an amazing system with a fantastic case and cooling setup with high tier products. If you have the money then I would buy a custom build at around £2-2.5k rather than buy something lacklustre
It doesn't work out to buy a high end system for longevity. Two successive £900 systems would last much longer overall and depending on your screen resolution and desire for the best image settings three £600 systems may be a better option still.

Unless you've a hatred of changing computers you'll spend far more than you need to in the long run by going down this route.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 29th Nov 2017
Kester, I've checked out the parts used, and most aren't the cheapest option, additionally I've requested a custom build with the Phanteks P400S case for something a little more aesthetic.

I have done several part picker compilations, so I'm curious as to what could be ultimately achieved with £1600 (as all the builds with the above specs on part picker - not necessarily the same parts - come out as within the same price range save for £50-100 with Watercooled CPU, Windows, Wifi etc etc).

If theres genuinely an Option for a £1600 build that is equivalent/ better than the above link (except for the case), then I would certainly look at that.

Edit: With good parts compromising for price, the cheapest I can find is:
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…f6X

£1640
Edited by: "Loyalski" 29th Nov 2017
Loyalski11 h, 5 m ago

Kester, I've checked out the parts used, and most aren't the cheapest …Kester, I've checked out the parts used, and most aren't the cheapest option, additionally I've requested a custom build with the Phanteks P400S case for something a little more aesthetic.I have done several part picker compilations, so I'm curious as to what could be ultimately achieved with £1600 (as all the builds with the above specs on part picker - not necessarily the same parts - come out as within the same price range save for £50-100 with Watercooled CPU, Windows, Wifi etc etc). If theres genuinely an Option for a £1600 build that is equivalent/ better than the above link (except for the case), then I would certainly look at that.Edit: With good parts compromising for price, the cheapest I can find is: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HV9f6X£1640

Lots of savings to be made there like the PSU. You don't need a modular gold PSU as you will probably be using PSU extensions and the efficiency isn't that important. You save a tidy sum if you swap out some of the less useful upgrades.
Edited by: "kester76" 29th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants