Groups

1080p and 1080i whats the difference?

Have a new bluray player and have 2 options, to play 1080 or 1080i, I dont know what this means

35 Comments

progressive and interlaced

Original Poster

chester123

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1080p+and+1080i+whats+the+difference%3F

Im sorry but thats all technical jargon to me, can you explain in laymans terms please. At the moment I've selected 1080i on my bluray player but to be honest I don't know what it means, only im kind of guessing that its a better quality of picture
    Edited by: "cath1510" 14th Apr 2011

What TV do you have?

1080p is better than 1080i

But if your TV is only 720p then all of this is epidemic

answers.yahoo.com/que…Rp2

In an interlaced signal, every 'field' that is sent to the TV from the … In an interlaced signal, every 'field' that is sent to the TV from the source contains only half of the image information. The first 'field' will contain all the information for the odd number rows of pixels, and the second 'field' will contain the information for the even rows. Your TV will then wait for 2 'fields' to be recieved, combine them (to get the information for _all_ rows of pixels on the TV) and then display the complete 'frame'.In a progessive signal, each 'field' is actually a full 'frame'. so there is no need for the TV to wait for the second 'field' to arrive, it already has the information for every row of pixels.In reality, there is very little difference between them. The deinterlacing process will happen so fast that you usually won't notice any degradation, especially if your TV is a reputable brand.

Edited by: "munaaf" 14th Apr 2011

laymans terms: if you imagine your screen made up of lots of dots (which it is). Interlaced (1080i) displays the image on every other line and misses a line each time. This is too small to see but generally the picture quality isn't as good as 1080p.

Progressive (1080p) displays the full image per frame on every line of dots giving a better quality image.
    Edited by: "hypnoticstate" 14th Apr 2011

1080p is best

cath1510

Im sorry but thats all technical jargon to me, can you explain in laymans … Im sorry but thats all technical jargon to me, can you explain in laymans terms please. At the moment I've selected 1080i on my bluray player but to be honest I don't know what it means, only im kind of guessing that its a better quality of picture

There is a youtube video as the second link.

sancho1983

My TV has not caught that 720p bug

Original Poster

sancho1983

I have a Samsung 40 inch series 6 650 class and my bluray player is Samsung BD-C5500

sancho1983

Sounds nasty.

Original Poster

hypnoticstate

laymans terms: if you imagine your screen made up of lots of dots (which … laymans terms: if you imagine your screen made up of lots of dots (which it is). Interlaced (1080i) displays the image on every other line and misses a line each time. This is too small to see but generally the picture quality isn't as good as 1080p.Progressive (1080p) displays the full image per frame on every line of dots giving a better quality image.

Right! now I understand, thanks hypnoticstate. have to go and reset my settings on bluray player. Thankyou so much

Original Poster

sancho1983

What TV do you have?1080p is better than 1080i

I have a Samsung series 6 class 650 and a samsung BD-C5500 bluray player

Original Poster

cath1510

I have a Samsung series 6 class 650 and a samsung BD-C5500 bluray player

Sorry already answered this question

dontasciime

My TV has not caught that 720p bug

I guess it's daft making an 'in' joke on a forum that the only person who would understand it will never see!

Owened a 1080i tv and now a 1080p and can't tell the difference to be honest and im on a 56inch tele

dandoc2

Owened a 1080i tv and now a 1080p and can't tell the difference to be … Owened a 1080i tv and now a 1080p and can't tell the difference to be honest and im on a 56inch tele

Exactly - the pixel density is still the same...

jah128

Sounds nasty.

Academically speaking... I concur.. sounds contagious aswell...

jah128

Sounds nasty.

jah128

Sounds nasty.

There an echo in here?

dandoc2

Owened a 1080i tv and now a 1080p and can't tell the difference to be … Owened a 1080i tv and now a 1080p and can't tell the difference to be honest and im on a 56inch tele

Can i see a pic of your room? i wana see how it looks

Original Poster

I have my internet connected in my room (wireless router) but it seems I need a cable to enable me to connect it to my TV (samsung lec 650 series) which is in my living room, shouldn't my wireless router connect to my TV automatically as it connects to my daughters' laptop wirelessly? into her room. talking about confused! the distance from my room where router is and living room where my tv is a wee bit away, for a cable anyway!

The laptop will have wireless built in, but the tv won't.

Original Poster

sancho1983

The laptop will have wireless built in, but the tv won't.

Ahh right! god i'm useless at this technology stuff
    So what cable would I need, although it would have to be really long and unseen

Original Poster

Is this where some sort of wireless dongle would come in that I plug into my tv?

sancho1983

I guess it's daft making an 'in' joke on a forum that the only person who … I guess it's daft making an 'in' joke on a forum that the only person who would understand it will never see!

I wasn't trying to belittle you. It was meant as fun. I was just going to type "mange tout"

Original Poster

Huh oO

Original Poster

Sancho you seem to be the only one talking sense here

Original Poster

dontasciime

I wasn't trying to belittle you. It was meant as fun. I was just going to … I wasn't trying to belittle you. It was meant as fun. I was just going to type "mange tout"

Yeah Peas (_;)

the TV should have all share well the 46"" version does so refer to the TV manual it will tell you how to setup wireless / or LAN you just need cat5e cable for LAN .

http://i.imgur.com/tMHBX.png

you need to buy the adapter if it's not included with TV package
    Edited by: "dontasciime" 14th Apr 2011

dontasciime

I wasn't trying to belittle you. It was meant as fun. I was just going to … I wasn't trying to belittle you. It was meant as fun. I was just going to type "mange tout"

I wasn't sure

there has also been a firmware updated in feb 2011 Tv firmware

you need to triple check you got the same TV though or use your TV model on their support site to find anything you need to do
    Edited by: "dontasciime" 14th Apr 2011

Samsung WIS09ABGN

Get someone else to confirm this is the wifi adapter you need or search for a cheaper alternative on av forum
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?77
      2. What will £250 get me second hand mobile55
      3. Gaming PC £700 / £800 budget33
      4. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?11

See more discussions