1080p vs 1440p on pc gaming?

Posted 29th Dec 2019
what's everyone's thoughts on the topic? is it worth the upgrade? I currently have a 5700XT and Ryzen 5 3600X with 32gb of 3200mhz ram. and from what I've personally read the 5700XT has a sweet spot of 1440p ect..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
It's all relative to the size of display you prefer. If you're playing on around 27", 1440p is ideal. The biggest issue really is framerate, and at that, the more the merrier.
Edited by: "Pájaro" 29th Dec 2019
As above, it depends on the monitor size and what FPS you're targeting
Edited by: "rev6" 29th Dec 2019
rev629/12/2019 21:24

As above, it depends on the monitor size and what FPS you're targeting

I don't think many cards can do maxed out settings 144hz @ 1440p tbf im looking at maxing 1440p with anything above 60fps
Justsuperman29/12/2019 21:26

I don't think many cards can do maxed out settings 144hz @ 1440p tbf im …I don't think many cards can do maxed out settings 144hz @ 1440p tbf im looking at maxing 1440p with anything above 60fps

Some games you'll struggle but I'd still go with a 1440@144Hz monitor. I think it's the best at this time, unless you demand highest picture quality.
Edited by: "rev6" 29th Dec 2019
rev629/12/2019 21:35

Some games you'll struggle but I'd still go with a 1440@144Hz monitor. I …Some games you'll struggle but I'd still go with a 1440@144Hz monitor. I think it's the best at this time, unless you demand highest picture quality.

There's quite alot of games that I could do maxed out and hit 90-100fps and some games you'll hit 60 just about.. but I could always tweak the settings I guess
Justsuperman29/12/2019 21:41

There's quite alot of games that I could do maxed out and hit 90-100fps …There's quite alot of games that I could do maxed out and hit 90-100fps and some games you'll hit 60 just about.. but I could always tweak the settings I guess

Yes, always tweak the settings.

There's quite alot of games that I could do maxed out and hit 90-100fps …There's quite alot of games that I could do maxed out and hit 90-100fps and some games you'll hit 60 just about.. but I could always tweak the settings I guess

There was a guy on here the other day that can easily get a steady 60fps on all the new games, max ultra settings in 4K resolution... on his GTX 1070

... strangely he’s been banned now, maybe his frame rate was too high

You can.

Personally, I think frame rate is far more important for the experience than fine details. Once you've got enough power to turn all the effects on, the resolution at which they're rendered doesn't really matter very much. Even in side-by-side comparisons of still screenshots, it can be difficult to tell the difference between the High and Ultra. Have a look at overclock3d.net/rev…n/4 for one example. The thing with games is though, you tend not to play them standing still, looking at pixels. You, and your targets, are always in motion, and because of that, things are always going to look fuller and more fluid if the framerate's higher, and that makes waaaay more of a meaningful impact on the visual (and gameplay) experience than, for instance, a fractionally more tessellated wall texture.
JohnnyRoller29/12/2019 21:58

There was a guy on here the other day that can easily get a steady 60fps …There was a guy on here the other day that can easily get a steady 60fps on all the new games, max ultra settings in 4K resolution... on his GTX 1070 ... strangely he’s been banned now, maybe his frame rate was too high

That does happen. HUKD has a thing against porkies.
Pájaro29/12/2019 22:07

You can. Personally, I think frame rate is far more important for the …You can. Personally, I think frame rate is far more important for the experience than fine details. Once you've got enough power to turn all the effects on, the resolution at which they're rendered doesn't really matter very much. Even in side-by-side comparisons of still screenshots, it can be difficult to tell the difference between the High and Ultra. Have a look at https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/metro_exodus_pc_performance_review_-_rtx_on/4 for one example. The thing with games is though, you tend not to play them standing still, looking at pixels. You, and your targets, are always in motion, and because of that, things are always going to look fuller and more fluid if the framerate's higher, and that makes waaaay more of a meaningful impact on the visual (and gameplay) experience than, for instance, a fractionally more tessellated wall texture.

Frame rate is very important but anything above 60 is more than playable.. im coming from consoles lol... 90fps is really smooth and hopefully I can get it around that mark I play alot of apex legends and that hits 100fps at max settings 1440p
JohnnyRoller29/12/2019 21:58

There was a guy on here the other day that can easily get a steady 60fps …There was a guy on here the other day that can easily get a steady 60fps on all the new games, max ultra settings in 4K resolution... on his GTX 1070 ... strangely he’s been banned now, maybe his frame rate was too high

the lies people tell. the 5700XT is quite abit more powerful around 1080ti power level and it can't do ultra 60 at 4k it can do 30 at them settings but 60 no chance.
the trend is that 1440p 27 inch 144hz display is the best sweet spot for the dedicated, especially if you play any kind of fast games, just that it costs a lot for one screen. But if you have the 5700xt, I think its a pity if you don't have a nice screen to run it.

My opinion is that it is better to not have the monitor as the bottleneck because monitors tend to be reused over several builds. So if you can afford 1440p 144hz (and va or ips), i would do it at 27 inch.
Edited by: "Artonox" 29th Dec 2019
Artonox29/12/2019 23:57

the trend is that 1440p 27 inch 144hz display is the best sweet spot for …the trend is that 1440p 27 inch 144hz display is the best sweet spot for the dedicated, especially if you play any kind of fast games, just that it costs a lot for one screen. But if you have the 5700xt, I think its a pity if you don't have a nice screen to run it.My opinion is that it is better to not have the monitor as the bottleneck because monitors tend to be reused over several builds. So if you can afford 1440p 144hz (and va or ips), i would do it at 27 inch.

I have the new AOC 24 inch 144hz ips panel it's only 1080p tho and coming from 4k gaming it's a little bit hard to adapt.. so I'm trying to find the middle ground of native resolution and decent frame rates
what is the reason for the shift back down from 4k? (edit:presumably I think because you tried to play at 4k and was disappointed it cant do 60fps minimum in modern games.) was that screen also 24 inch? It is a steep drop of resolution so indeed it is a bit harder to adapt.

Edit: just FYI with monitors the factors I rank when choosing are as follows: size>resolution>input lag>refresh rate=panel type.
Justsuperman30/12/2019 00:09

I have the new AOC 24 inch 144hz ips panel it's only 1080p tho and coming …I have the new AOC 24 inch 144hz ips panel it's only 1080p tho and coming from 4k gaming it's a little bit hard to adapt.. so I'm trying to find the middle ground of native resolution and decent frame rates

If you are talking about the AOC 24g2u, I just pre-ordered mine from amazon because unfortunately I couldn't afford the 5700xt lol.
Edited by: "Artonox" 30th Dec 2019
Artonox30/12/2019 00:27

what is the reason for the shift back down from 4k? (edit:presumably I …what is the reason for the shift back down from 4k? (edit:presumably I think because you tried to play at 4k and was disappointed it cant do 60fps minimum in modern games.) was that screen also 24 inch? It is a steep drop of resolution so indeed it is a bit harder to adapt.Edit: just FYI with monitors the factors I rank when choosing are as follows: size>resolution>input lag>refresh rate=panel type.If you are talking about the AOC 24g2u, I just pre-ordered mine from amazon because unfortunately I couldn't afford the 5700xt lol.

No I played on consoles for example Xbox one X and games like RDR2 in native 4k. I have a C9 oled 55" probably the best gaming TV to date with really low input lag. I love the AOC especially for the money I'm selling mine tho getting the way more expensive LG 27GL850-B. meant to be top tier and I do fanboy lg as I love there products.. after it tho ama be skint for sure. but I've always wanted to play pc and be a gamer over that side as it's freedom with personal settings ect ect
Artonox30/12/2019 00:27

what is the reason for the shift back down from 4k? (edit:presumably I …what is the reason for the shift back down from 4k? (edit:presumably I think because you tried to play at 4k and was disappointed it cant do 60fps minimum in modern games.) was that screen also 24 inch? It is a steep drop of resolution so indeed it is a bit harder to adapt.Edit: just FYI with monitors the factors I rank when choosing are as follows: size>resolution>input lag>refresh rate=panel type.If you are talking about the AOC 24g2u, I just pre-ordered mine from amazon because unfortunately I couldn't afford the 5700xt lol.

I am taking about the monitor you mentioned yes... Also here's my rig
39535620-w6v1g.jpgFrom inside
Justsuperman30/12/2019 00:43

No I played on consoles for example Xbox one X and games like RDR2 in …No I played on consoles for example Xbox one X and games like RDR2 in native 4k. I have a C9 oled 55" probably the best gaming TV to date with really low input lag. I love the AOC especially for the money I'm selling mine tho getting the way more expensive LG 27GL850-B. meant to be top tier and I do fanboy lg as I love there products.. after it tho ama be skint for sure. but I've always wanted to play pc and be a gamer over that side as it's freedom with personal settings ect ect

That is a sweet setup you got there! Even got the black/red theme going on too.

I think you made probably the best choice with that monitor. Suspected to be better picture quality than normal ips panels as it is nano ips. Plus with 144hz aka top of the range. I think you will love it.

Otherwise, ever considered gaming on that sweet c9 oled with the pc and just drop the resoluation from 4k to 1440p? If you sit on the couch 2m-3m away you might not notice that much of a difference. EDIT: you should be able to tell the GPU to run the game at 1440p, but then upscale to 4k to your tv.

hardforum.com/thr…29/
in the forum, there is a link to a Digital Foundry video, which discusses about this and how to do it whilst still looking good on the tv, and may be worth your time.

You might also need a wireless gaming keyboard and mouse (which are quite good these days) whcih completes the experience.

I only stuck with pc gaming because AAA games are cheap/free and I get that 60fps min :P. I can't stand 30fps anymore so in a way, I can't go back to console gaming.
Edited by: "Artonox" 30th Dec 2019
Artonox30/12/2019 00:53

That is a sweet setup you got there! Even got the black/red theme going on …That is a sweet setup you got there! Even got the black/red theme going on too.I think you made probably the best choice with that monitor. Suspected to be better picture quality than normal ips panels as it is nano ips. Plus with 144hz aka top of the range. I think you will love it.Otherwise, ever considered gaming on that sweet c9 oled with the pc and just drop the resoluation from 4k to 1440p? If you sit on the couch 2m-3m away you might not notice that much of a difference. EDIT: you should be able to tell the GPU to run the game at 1440p, but then upscale to 4k to your tv.https://hardforum.com/threads/gaming-at-1440p-on-a-4k-tv-how-bad-is-not-running-native-res.1967029/in the forum, there is a link to a Digital Foundry video, which discusses about this and how to do it whilst still looking good on the tv, and may be worth your time.You might also need a wireless gaming keyboard and mouse (which are quite good these days) whcih completes the experience.I only stuck with pc gaming because AAA games are cheap/free and I get that 60fps min :P. I can't stand 30fps anymore so in a way, I can't go back to console gaming.

Thanks man, I actually have yes but for some weird reason some games apex is one of them when I put the Res from 1080p to 1440p the hdmi and picture goes absolutely insane like someone has smashed the screen of the tv even tho windows is set to 1440p also 120hz. I honestly thought after seeing games in true HDR 10 on the oled too on pc that monitors just can't compete with them true blacks and instant oled pixel response but they do have there own place of existence and benefits I'm am getting too used to sitting at my desk now with a gaming chair i got. I can't sit on the bed or recliner anymore doesn't feel that great now.
Dont go 1080 OR 1440 go for ultra widescreen .... be different ... see your enemies 3 mins b4 everyone else
ebuyer do an LG for only 277 .. I might go for it myself ..LOL
LG 34WL500-B 34" Ultrawide HD LED IPS Monitor
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions