Expired

10kg dumbbells heavy enough to start out?

Found 21st Jan 2012
ok so starting feb i'm going to start working out and become like the hulk. I was wondering if 9.5kg dumbells are ok because thats just about what i can lift at the minute with 12 reps
Community Updates
Misc
119 Comments
if thats all you can lift then yes, remember add abit more on push it a little

I am starting on that P90X to see how that goes its only 90 days so we'll see
9.5KG is okay. You are a girl, right?
Lol dxx
Mum I told you to stop posting!
What exercises are you doing with the D/bells?
I guess i can lift heavier but for doing 12 reps 9.5-10 is the limit

should I drop the reps and add more weight?
Grill

What exercises are you doing with the D/bells?

well I get hard and then attach it to my willy and use my muscle if you know what i mean to start lifting
on each finger, yeah.
iamawesome

[url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.thehut.com%252Fgames%252Fgames-accessories%252Fvariable-weight-dumbbells%252F10066034.html%253Faffil%253DBUYAT%2526awc%253D2547_1327187360_645df1ec7813836938a6e9dbc1bb853e%2526affil%253Dawin]http://www.thehut.com/games/games-accessories/variable-weight-dumbbells/10066034.html?affil=BUYAT&awc=2547_1327187360_645df1ec7813836938a6e9dbc1bb853e&affil=awin[/url] THESE MIGHT BE GOOD

gtfo my thread please
rite i'll see what i can lift 6 reps
11kg 7 reps is ok
guys my arms are skinny and iv'e only just started lifting

no hate
shergold

well I get hard and then attach it to my willy and use my muscle if you … well I get hard and then attach it to my willy and use my muscle if you know what i mean to start lifting

omg oO made me laugh though X)

I know nothing about weights e.t.c but good luck in working out and I hope you achieve your goal shergold
Edited by: "Twist96" 21st Jan 2012
shergold

guys my arms are skinny and iv'e only just started liftingno hate

Put the effort in, after a year apparently

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fil_LLcVf74/TwdRh_2JMTI/AAAAAAAAx9o/Vk8ErePD9TU/s800/bodybuilder.gif

Edit: Dirty barsteward dont change his boxer much

Edited by: "simplex" 21st Jan 2012
Makes me laugh I bet most if not all of the above would struggle lifting their moomas breast for bitty

Just do want you feel comfortable doing to start out with as if you go straight in hell for leather you wont want to carry on tomorrow. Hope it goes well for you OP
ill post pics when I start so you can see my epic progress
Twist96

omg oO made me laugh though X)I know nothing about weights e.t.c but good … omg oO made me laugh though X)I know nothing about weights e.t.c but good luck in working out on the weights!

Was th funniest comment ive seen on here X)
simplex

Put the effort in, after a year apparently

Wow I want a pair of those boxers there mint
shergold

ill post pics when I start so you can see my epic progress

hahaha you actually should and show these guys sl@gging you off how ripped you'll be
HUKDeLITE

Makes me laugh I bet most if not all of the above would struggle lifting … Makes me laugh I bet most if not all of the above would struggle lifting their moomas breast for bittyJust do want you feel comfortable doing to start out with as if you go straight in hell for leather you wont want to carry on tomorrow. Hope it goes well for you OP

Your comments make me laugh because you don't have a clue what you are talking about, I bet you make the original Mr Muscle look like a heavyweight by comparison.
9.5kg will do you fine until you can do 60-70reps, then upgrade to 15-16kg and start from the beginning.
Grill

Your comments make me laugh because you don't have a clue what you are … Your comments make me laugh because you don't have a clue what you are talking about, I bet you make the original Mr Muscle look like a heavyweight by comparison.

What so making fun and such is the best way to go

and no im doing ok in the body department thanks, I agree I dont know much but I know you dont go full whack when starting out and thats all ive said no move along
HUKDeLITE

OP you want to do that P90X, might be garbage but its something to worth … OP you want to do that P90X, might be garbage but its something to worth withObviously you only get out what you put in whatever you decide to do

p90x is very popular and has great feedback. Might look into it
Arms
You cant just rely on a dumbbells, you need to get a tricep /bicep bar to target fully
You will also need to build your forearms as you go along and work on your grip, do hammer curls,do negatives aswell a few kilos more than you can lift. This will increase the weights you can pick in a shorter amount of time.
deleted265520
Shergold start at this or even lower.

When I first started I could only curl 10kg and chest press 12kg. Now I can chest press 30kg ones and curl 20kgs. Not massive amounts but you will grow stronger if you train sensible.
Thanks all for the help (_;)
Aye good luck
dtovey89

Shergold start at this or even lower.When I first started I could only … Shergold start at this or even lower.When I first started I could only curl 10kg and chest press 12kg. Now I can chest press 30kg ones and curl 20kgs. Not massive amounts but you will grow stronger if you train sensible.

Basically what I said till Grill came along in his Lycra luminous green shorts and vest 5 times to big for him.

Glad your here anyway we are better together then apart
deleted265520
HUKDeLITE

Basically what I said till Grill came along in his Lycra luminous green … Basically what I said till Grill came along in his Lycra luminous green shorts and vest 5 times to big for him.Glad your here anyway we are better together then apart

I missed my Churchy x
dtovey89

I missed my Churchy x

Hang on who are you? or is this roll reversal

Im in the NAKs or the OAPs
deleted265520
+1 for Hammer Curls

Look up super sets if you want a mad session
Death
Edited by: "deleted265520" 21st Jan 2012
9.5 is fine for bicep curls but a static weight is pointless - but you'll want dumbbells with weights that you can add to - I'd say a set with up to 20 KG would do you for a while, so you can also dumbbell bench as well. Once you're rattling those out, you could invest in a bar with some more weights and go from there.

THat way you can do a light/warmup set with e.g. 5kg, medium set with e.g. 7kg, then working set of 10kg, rep it out to failure.

Just make sure you get the form right, don't swing etc. Then add weight as you get stronger.
Edited by: "DragonChris" 22nd Jan 2012
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/yo/york-tricep-&-arm-curl-bar.jpg

http://www.keysfitness.com/images/products/olympic_bars.jpg

Some bars to consider
I have an ez bar and a tricep bar and 2 dummbells. Should do me for now only thing i will need is more weights
shergold

I have an ez bar and a tricep bar and 2 dummbells. Should do me for now … I have an ez bar and a tricep bar and 2 dummbells. Should do me for now only thing i will need is more weights

Your looking at £1 per Kilo roughly 10/20 plate
shergold

well I get hard and then attach it to my willy and use my muscle if you … well I get hard and then attach it to my willy and use my muscle if you know what i mean to start lifting

Definitely a girl.
HUKDeLITE

What is wrong with your legs? If you don't mind me asking

You asked him that when you were logged in to your other account, why would you want to know again (_;)

Edited by: "simplex" 22nd Jan 2012
Don't listen to the people calling you a girl, everyone has to start from somewhere.

I personally use Bowflex dumbbells, which are adjustable but very expensive.
I would recommend starting off doing a weight that makes you struggle but not high enough that it puts you off and try to make it a little bit heavier every week.

If you're looking to increasing muscle mass, it's important to do less reps but as high weights as you can handle but it should NEVER be easy.

If you're looking to get ripped, it's best to do a low weight but do as many reps as possible.

Inbox me if you want more advice and I would be happy to help.
FYI, for muscle mass increases - check out Dorian Yates Blood and Guts trainer - some epic vids with some good workouts in there.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants