12v car heater recommendations please

Found 18th Nov 2017
I am looking for a 12v car heater to defrost the windscreen in a morning. Struggling to find one with good reviews. Anybody use one and can recommend? Air con has gone on the car(doesn't just need a regas) and getting old.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
You just can't get enough power from a 12V car battery to make any real effect on defrosting a windscreen - if you could cars would have built-in 12V electric heaters! Tried these myself and they are no use!

If you park your car on your drive overnight and have an outside power supply you could put a low wattage tubular heater on the dashboard ebay.co.uk/itm…wn7 - I've done this in the past many years ago!
I thought the air con was used to demist rather than defrost the windscreen, if you want the fastest way to defrost the ice of th outside then use luke warm water, just make sure it's not to hot as it can crack the glass but it would need to be very hot to do this. In the deep winter my neighbours are outside for 20 mins with de icer, scrapers and engine running, I walk out with a jug of luke warm water and pour it over the windows and I'm gone why there still trying to remove the ice, I don't like de-icer, lots of people have accidently sprayed it in there eyes and end up in A&E.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 18th Nov 2017
Original Poster
Van197342 m ago

You just can't get enough power from a 12V car battery to make any real …You just can't get enough power from a 12V car battery to make any real effect on defrosting a windscreen - if you could cars would have built-in 12V electric heaters! Tried these myself and they are no use!If you park your car on your drive overnight and have an outside power supply you could put a low wattage tubular heater on the dashboard https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TH1FT060-1ft-60W-Tubular-Heater/122559842017?epid=1042937301&hash=item1c8922c6e1:g:zUIAAOSwyWZZSwn7 - I've done this in the past many years ago!

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Original Poster
mattsk42 m ago

whats wrong with …whats wrong with this?https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-screen-care/de-icer/?545772281&0&cc5_318&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-LZ4PPH1wIVkx0YCh3KwA8qEAQYAiABEgLRG_D_BwE

The price, only £1 for 600ml at poundland.
Original Poster
POWYSWALES6 m ago

I thought the air con was used to demist rather than defrost the …I thought the air con was used to demist rather than defrost the windscreen, if you want the fastest way to defrost the ice of th outside then use luke warm water, just make sure it's not to hot as it can crack the glass but it would need to be very hot to do this. In the deep winter my neighbours are outside for 20 mins with de icer, scrapers and engine running, I walk out with a jug of luke warm water and pour it over the windows and I'm gone why there still trying to remove the ice, I don't like de-icer, lots of people have accidently sprayed it in there eyes and end up in A&E.

Used to use water but now use plastic sheet but the inside gets really camp for some reason. May try the absorbent bags for the interior. Cheers.
kramvic8 m ago

Used to use water but now use plastic sheet but the inside gets really …Used to use water but now use plastic sheet but the inside gets really camp for some reason. May try the absorbent bags for the interior. Cheers.

Cat litter in empty plastic containers takes moisture out of air.
kramvic15 m ago

The price, only £1 for 600ml at poundland.

yeah but there is no reason to buy a bloody heater to defrost the windscreen.

This country is ridiculous, bit of ice or inch of snow and people have no clue how to deal with it
shadey129 m ago

Cat litter in empty plastic containers takes moisture out of air.

Or chuck into thin socks or tights to make your own dehumidifier. Works the same as the likes of the Pingi ones you can buy. Homebase and online you can also buy the large bags of Silica gel crystals, though in all honesty the cat litter works just as well.
Original Poster
mattsk8 m ago

yeah but there is no reason to buy a bloody heater to defrost the …yeah but there is no reason to buy a bloody heater to defrost the windscreen.This country is ridiculous, bit of ice or inch of snow and people have no clue how to deal with it

Lol, I am scraping my car at 5.20am in a morning, will resort to plastic sheet and warm water. Thanks.
kramvic2 m ago

Lol, I am scraping my car at 5.20am in a morning, will resort to plastic …Lol, I am scraping my car at 5.20am in a morning, will resort to plastic sheet and warm water. Thanks.

deicer in a spray bottle or salty water, then you just use your wipers. simple as that. Takes 10s at most
Original Poster
mattsk4 m ago

deicer in a spray bottle or salty water, then you just use your wipers. …deicer in a spray bottle or salty water, then you just use your wipers. simple as that. Takes 10s at most

Salty water? What ratio? Doesn't it cause any surface scratches to windscreen or damage the rubbers?
kramvic4 m ago

Salty water? What ratio? Doesn't it cause any surface scratches to …Salty water? What ratio? Doesn't it cause any surface scratches to windscreen or damage the rubbers?

what do you think they spread on roads and then gets onto your car?
Original Poster
mattsk5 m ago

what do you think they spread on roads and then gets onto your car?

I know that, just never heard of salted water solution. Cheers.
Cheapest option - camping stove and a bottle of gas. Light it, put it on the passenger seat, go inside, have a coffee and by the time you come out, car is toasty and warm and the ice has gone!
Failing this, warm water (or urine).
Or, do as I do and start the car, use the spare key to lock it or the missus car to block mine in, leave it running while I return to the warmth of the kitchen and a cup of coffee.
Edited by: "ktm666" 18th Nov 2017
Try this Demon Ice you spray it on the night before to stop freezing then in the morning just wipe it off using windscreen wipers and you can use it as a deicer it’s currently £4 at Morrison’s and Halfords here’s the link, halfords.com/web…001
Edited by: "Sprograt" 18th Nov 2017
I've heard of people putting a 230v heater in their car a before work, plug it in through an extension lead a few minutes before you go to work and it'll be warm by the time you leave. Or, the evening before run an extension lead to the car, in the morning switch it on at the wall so you don't even need to go out until it's time to leave but you'll either need to put the heater back in the house or take the extension lead out to the car with you. Although not a lot of help if you park on the road, can only really do if you park on a driveway.
dirty_stan2 h, 23 m ago

I've heard of people putting a 230v heater in their car a before work, …I've heard of people putting a 230v heater in their car a before work, plug it in through an extension lead a few minutes before you go to work and it'll be warm by the time you leave. Or, the evening before run an extension lead to the car, in the morning switch it on at the wall so you don't even need to go out until it's time to leave but you'll either need to put the heater back in the house or take the extension lead out to the car with you. Although not a lot of help if you park on the road, can only really do if you park on a driveway.

Exactly what I do, I have a small fan heater that I leave in the passenger footwell during the coldest months. Originally I had a clever little device that I bought from Halfords many years ago, it consisted of a mains powered heating element and pump, you simply cut one of the heater hoses and plumbed it in with the supplied jubilee clips and threaded the lead and plug through the radiator grill ready to connect to an extension lead (I had mine on a timer). It heated the water and circulated it through the heater and around the engine so that it started easily without any choke (remember what that was?) and warm air came out of the vents straight away to defrost the screen and warm the car. Eventually it went wrong, contacted the makers (Kenlowe) to buy another but was told they no longer supply the aftermarket, pity.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions