12v compressor fridges

Posted 3rd Aug
If you have one what are your experiences? We caravan off grid with an absorption fridge currently. We have around 60w of solar.
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Does 60W of solar even power an adsorption fridge or is it a 3way fridge and running off gas?
I have 160W solar to a 100aH battery and it will run my compressor fridge pretty much 24/7 during the summer when the sunlight hours are long and the sun is high in the sky (roof mounted panel) spring and autumn it will run it but would need a top up charge occasionally... winter I wouldn’t bother as there aren’t enough daylight hours to charge it much at all.
The fridges themselves are great in that they are just like having a home fridge temperature wise - mine can also be a freezer (proper freezer not just a colder section of a fridge) which could be useful for some but I’ve always needed it as a fridge.
buttonpushervic04/08/2020 08:16

Does 60W of solar even power an adsorption fridge or is it a 3way fridge …Does 60W of solar even power an adsorption fridge or is it a 3way fridge and running off gas?I have 160W solar to a 100aH battery and it will run my compressor fridge pretty much 24/7 during the summer when the sunlight hours are long and the sun is high in the sky (roof mounted panel) spring and autumn it will run it but would need a top up charge occasionally... winter I wouldn’t bother as there aren’t enough daylight hours to charge it much at all.The fridges themselves are great in that they are just like having a home fridge temperature wise - mine can also be a freezer (proper freezer not just a colder section of a fridge) which could be useful for some but I’ve always needed it as a fridge.

It’s 3way so the current fridge runs on propane. I have 200Ah of battery capacity and considering buying a further solar panel.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Freddy_uk04/08/2020 09:02

It’s 3way so the current fridge runs on propane. I have 200Ah of battery c …It’s 3way so the current fridge runs on propane. I have 200Ah of battery capacity and considering buying a further solar panel.Thanks for the detailed feedback.

With another decent output panel and a MPPT controller you’ll have no problems if you’re working with 200Ah battery is have thought... I guess it depends what else you’re running though as to whether the panels will replenish the battery enough each day.
buttonpushervic04/08/2020 10:20

With another decent output panel and a MPPT controller you’ll have no p …With another decent output panel and a MPPT controller you’ll have no problems if you’re working with 200Ah battery is have thought... I guess it depends what else you’re running though as to whether the panels will replenish the battery enough each day.

That’s what I was thinking, I might go for an additional 60-100w panel, I already use a 15A MPPT charge controller. This time of year we can use all the power we need over the week without any worries but in the spring/autumn it needs managing a little.
Post a comment
@
    Text