Expired

13.3"-14" non-gaming laptop. £400-£550 suggestions?

4 replies
Found 18th Jan 2010
So I'm finally giving up on my old mac-book black and wanting a replacement, having been horribly burnt by the macbooks poor build quality over the last 4 years. As a result I'm not going for Apples crazy pay twice as much for the same spec this time.

SO:

* I want to duel boot Ubuntu and Win 7.
* I mostly care about build quality, battery life, Ram and CPU (GPU is not a concern)
* Other than being ~13.3" it would be nice if it wasn't too thick & heavy.
* I want the best bang for buck.

The Samsung Q320 looks quite promising, but I can't track one down in a shop to look at build quality: can anyone shed any light there?
I know Acer generally have low build quality, is the same true for Asus?

Oh and 3gb ram intel duel core with a 2mb L2 Cache is probably a good minimum, simply because I'll need to run photoshop on it.

Cheers folks!

4 Comments

Toshiba u130 is great, I just ordered a u400 as I got it for £300 off of bigpockets.
Would have gone for the u130 as better battery and nicer looks, however I think the u400's price and spec took it for me.

The Samsung q320 is great, it gets a little warm though as it has an exhaust fan on the side of the machine constantly churning out heat.

Original Poster

Machines which fit the spec so far:

Samsung Q320
Toshiba U130 / U400 - Thanks sunpreet
HP ProBook 4310s
Lenovo ThinkPad SL410

Original Poster

Its looking like a Lenovo R400 or Samsung Q320, bit more than I wanted to spend but thats always the way!

the only other one i think suits your budget is the acer as4810t but good luck trying to find one!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wireless headphones11
    2. Driving anxiety.2429
    3. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G916
    4. THOMSON TUI 2 CRUISE PROBLEM - ANY HELP APPRECIATED44

See more discussions