Expired

1.4 Petrol or 1.9 Diesel?

Found 14th Jan 2014
I am looking to purchase a new car. However, I am not sure which one to purchase a petrol or a diesel. My options are a Astra 1.4 or 1.6 Petrol or a Golf 1.9 or 2.0 Diesel. I will be doing around 340 miles a month mainly on the motorway and some local driving. What would be the best option for me to go with the 1.4/1.6 Astra Petrol or the 1.9/2.0 Golf Diesel? I would appreciate it if someone could answer my question and who deals with cars on a regular basis.

Forgot to add I am looking for a second hand car around 04/05 plate Golf and Astra and budget is around £3,500.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskDieselPetrol
48 Comments
if you are doing only 340 miles a month, go for petrol. Astra Vs Golf ? wait for owners of these models to comment on it
The astra's are better value for money as the golf's are usualy more expensive. As the previous member commented a petrol car would make sense if low mileage or short trips.
diesel golf. you will find a reason to drive it
ichayan

if you are doing only 340 miles a month, go for petrol. Astra Vs Golf ? … if you are doing only 340 miles a month, go for petrol. Astra Vs Golf ? wait for owners of these models to comment on it

The 340 miles would only be to work an back. That does not include the trips when at home i.e. supermarket shopping etc.
I did a similar comparison when getting my last car, comparing a petrol v diesel. I do around 500 miles per week and I worked out I would save around £120 per month on fuel - this more than compensated for the extra outlay for a diesel car.

Check out the manufacturers MPG (this won't be accurate as it never is, but if you compare both then it will give you a good indication).

If you get me the MPG for each vehicle you are looking at I'll run it through my spreadsheet I used to calculate costs.
Had an Astra pool car a while back. Nice to look at and a sensible selection of toys, but both me and Mrs Bloke reckoned it was very uncomfortable for a journey of any length. Running a 1.6TD Bluemotion Passat at the moment (Parts bin brother to the Golf) and am very pleased with it. Built-in Bluetooth is by far the most useful toy.
petrol all the way......

I blundered seven years ago, bought a 1.9 diesel jetta, great car, still have it, however didn't do the numbers properly, only do 1K per month, with the premium placed for diesel and the diesel engine, and the now high CO2 emissions, this means high road tax, so apart from the car being great, it comes at a high price in the long run for running costs.

Now, you should maybe consider actual engine size and car itself, is it a family car? just for you? you and your partner? i.e. do you need one that big? a 1.2 corsa, fiesta, punto, etc, smaller lighter, again cheaper to run in the long run..... my daughters have a fiat 500 and a Toyota IQ, 1.2 and 1L respectively, they go like go-karts, due to size. They do like you maybe, something like about 500 mile per month, road tax is £35 and £0 respective, cheap as chips, petrol cheapish......

Basically how many people will be in the car regularly, i.e. one person in car 99%, get a small car, if you have a partner, how often in the car? same for family, how often in car, daily, bi-daily, weekly, monthly, occasionally......... remember size is NOT everything

Get a larger motor when needed!...... just may two pen'rth....

how often do you change cars? Are you likely to tow anything?
V Dub for me, build quality etc, have to bow down to others re fuel type, do mega miles in a bmw at work on diesel and return is exellent, own cars petrol 1.2 and do little miles, £50 lasts 300 plus miles easy, less when the wife uses it ( backside, wont let me put *rs ).
As said all depends what your weekly lifestyle is, lots of miles lots of people, or small miles and the odd passenger now and again

Edited by: "Gatso" 14th Jan 2014
Hi. I have a 2007 astra sri 1.8 and i do about 100 miles a week and it costs me around £60 a month in fuel. That's using the car to go to work and back and all the small round town journeys. On the motorway it's really good on fuel can use very little if driven sensibly
justanothercid

diesel golf. you will find a reason to drive it

Totally agree-ok the Astra might be cheaper, but you won't get the same pleasure out of driving it. If you're that concerned about running costs, why not look at the 1.6 Golf? (Very good mpg and only £30 tax per year). The Golf will hold its value better too-in case you need to sell in a couple of years.

Go with the Golf-you will not regret it.
Edited by: "Mermoo" 14th Jan 2014
Not quite enough mileage to justify a diesel IMHO, if something goes like the DPF (exhaust filter) then it could cost you more, also they take longer to warm up so not so efficient on very short trips, plus diesel is more expensive. If everything is under warranty then you might be ok.

I have a diesel (and two petrols) but I am doing at least 10k a year in a bigger car (Mondeo) and I think the fuel savings are worth it but some say diesel mileage needs to be even higher.
If these are brand new cars, I would go for the golf every time, if you are talking used, they are both in the same category when it comes to reliability in my opinion.

The newer Diesels are very good and road tax is cheap, for torque and speed, I would go for the Diesel every time.
You need to look at the price differentials and then the potential residual values.

A diesel will normally hold it's value better than a petrol, a Golf will normally hold it's value better than the Astra - but this could be offset at purchase if the price is low enough.

Diesel is a little more expensive than Petrol at the pumps so as others have alluded to Diesel is not always the best choice.

Why not a diesel Astra or Petrol Golf??

I currently have an Audi A1 with 1.4 TSi (185hp version) Petrol engine and it returns an average of around 39/40 MPG on mainly motorway trips. I also have a 2.0 TDi (143hp version) Golf which will comfortably return over 60 MPG on a motorway run and is without doubt much cheaper to run than the 1.4 TSi. That said you can get the 1.4 TSi in the Golf as 122hp which is more economical.
hockeygod76

I did a similar comparison when getting my last car, comparing a petrol v … I did a similar comparison when getting my last car, comparing a petrol v diesel. I do around 500 miles per week and I worked out I would save around £120 per month on fuel - this more than compensated for the extra outlay for a diesel car.Check out the manufacturers MPG (this won't be accurate as it never is, but if you compare both then it will give you a good indication).If you get me the MPG for each vehicle you are looking at I'll run it through my spreadsheet I used to calculate costs.

For the 1.9 Golf Diesel the MPG are:
Urban mpg - 42.2 mpg
Extra Urban mpg - 61.4 mpg
Average mpg - 53.3 mpg

For the 1.4 Petrol Astra the MPG are:
Urban mpg - 35.3 mpg
Extra Urban mpg - 56.5 mpg
Average mpg - 46.3 mpg

For a 1.4 Golf Petrol the MPG are:
Urban mpg - 32.5 mpg
Extra Urban mpg - 53.3 mpg
Average mpg - 43.5 mpg

For a 1.6 Golf Petrol the MPG are:
Urban mpg - 30.7 mpg
Extra Urban mpg - 49.6 mpg
Average mpg - 40.4 mpg

Please advise the best option for me. Bear in mind I will be using for errands as well.

Thank you!
asfak

For the 1.9 Golf Diesel the MPG are:Urban mpg - 42.2 mpg Extra Urban mpg … For the 1.9 Golf Diesel the MPG are:Urban mpg - 42.2 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 61.4 mpg Average mpg - 53.3 mpg For the 1.4 Petrol Astra the MPG are: Urban mpg - 35.3 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 56.5 mpg Average mpg - 46.3 mpg For a 1.4 Golf Petrol the MPG are:Urban mpg - 32.5 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 53.3 mpg Average mpg - 43.5 mpg For a 1.6 Golf Petrol the MPG are:Urban mpg - 30.7 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 49.6 mpg Average mpg - 40.4 mpg Please advise the best option for me. Bear in mind I will be using for errands as well.Thank you!

Why not look at the 1.6 diesel Golf?
asfak

For the 1.9 Golf Diesel the MPG are:Urban mpg - 42.2 mpg Extra Urban mpg … For the 1.9 Golf Diesel the MPG are:Urban mpg - 42.2 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 61.4 mpg Average mpg - 53.3 mpg For the 1.4 Petrol Astra the MPG are: Urban mpg - 35.3 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 56.5 mpg Average mpg - 46.3 mpg For a 1.4 Golf Petrol the MPG are:Urban mpg - 32.5 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 53.3 mpg Average mpg - 43.5 mpg For a 1.6 Golf Petrol the MPG are:Urban mpg - 30.7 mpg Extra Urban mpg - 49.6 mpg Average mpg - 40.4 mpg Please advise the best option for me. Bear in mind I will be using for errands as well.Thank you!

Ok, based on the following.

Diesel costing 133.7 pence per litre
Petrol costing 126.7 pence per litre
There being 4.54609188 litres per gallon
You travelling 400 miles per month in your car.
And using the average MPG for each car listed above, your fuel cost per month would be..

1.9 Golf diesel = £45.61
1.6 Golf petrol = £57.03
1.4 Golf petrol = £52.97
1.4 Astra petrol = £49.76

Not much in it in terms of fuel cost, check out the car tax bands and factor that in. Consider the difference in purchase cost.

Then like everyone else says, have a drive and see which you prefer - but on fuel cost there's hardly anything in it there.

** obviously I've used the average MPG, actual fuel consumption will vary depending on time of year, weather conditions, vehicle load, how heavy your foot it, whether you need the toilet etc etc
You missed the 1.6 110 PS Golf Diesel. Combined MPG is 88.3. Road Tax is £0

400 miles @ 88.3mpg = 4.53 Gallons. 4.53 Gallons is 20.57 Ltrs which at £1.33/Ltr is a total cost of £27.35 - Which is quite significant.

I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking at S/Hand cars?
I just purchased a golf 1.6 diesel ,630 miles to a full tank, £72 to fill up. I do motor way and country roads, £30tax yearly.
Stu

I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking … I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking at S/Hand cars?

Yes second hand cars. I am looking for a 04 or 05 plate Golf or a Astra.
Stu

I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking … I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking at S/Hand cars?

pimmzy

I just purchased a golf 1.6 diesel ,630 miles to a full tank, £72 to fill … I just purchased a golf 1.6 diesel ,630 miles to a full tank, £72 to fill up. I do motor way and country roads, £30tax yearly.

I am looking for a 04 or 05 plate Golf so I don't think there are 1.6 Golf Diesel in 04/05.
asfak

Yes second hand cars. I am looking for a 04 or 05 plate Golf or a Astra.

Ok, so you'd have got a lot better help if you were clearer in your first post. You said 'new' car, what you meant was new to you.

That changes things a lot. It will come down a lot more to cost of purchasing followed but perceived repair costs. If you are looking at Golf's for the same price as similar age Astra's then there is no decision to be made.

If the Astra can be newer then it may warrant consideration but it would have to be a lot newer IMHO. The Golf should be a 1.9 PD or an early 2.0 PD engine, both of which are OK. A 1.9 130hp may be more interesting. MK 5 Golf was a big step forward from MK 4 so aim for MK 5 if budget permits.

Stu

I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you … I don't think there is a 1.9 TDi in the Golf these days. Are you looking at S/Hand cars?

pimmzy

I just purchased a golf 1.6 diesel ,630 miles to a full tank, £72 to … I just purchased a golf 1.6 diesel ,630 miles to a full tank, £72 to fill up. I do motor way and country roads, £30tax yearly.

Since when has an 04/05 plate been a " new car "?
Inactive

Since when has an 04/05 plate been a " new car "?

Sorry my bad I meant a new car for me. Seems to have been a misunderstanding here.
OP - you should in my opinion, consider other options.

Astras are very expensive to repair should/when they go wrong, as are Golfs.

For your mileage, I'd consider getting a small engined car with excellent fuel economy.

At your budget and age range, you could get a pre-facelift Civic 1.6 Sport - or a Honda Jazz on about a 2006 plate. I recently got my wife a jazz on an 04 plate, low miles, FSH etc - drives great and only cost £1900 - returns over 50mpg on a motorway run at 70mph.
moob

OP - you should in my opinion, consider other options.Astras are very … OP - you should in my opinion, consider other options.Astras are very expensive to repair should/when they go wrong, as are Golfs.For your mileage, I'd consider getting a small engined car with excellent fuel economy.At your budget and age range, you could get a pre-facelift Civic 1.6 Sport - or a Honda Jazz on about a 2006 plate. I recently got my wife a jazz on an 04 plate, low miles, FSH etc - drives great and only cost £1900 - returns over 50mpg on a motorway run at 70mph.

ROFL - You suggest a Vauxhall or a VW would be expensive to repair and then recommend to buy a Honda!!

I can't argue that Honda's are not reliable but then again so are many cars if well maintained.
I took a couple of random examples from Euro Car Parts.

2006 Honda Civic 1.8

Front Brake Disc (Pagid) £51.54 Each / (Eicher) £39 Each
Front Brake Pads (Pagid) £36.62 Set / (Eicher) £28.93 Set

Clutch Kit £236.40

2006 VW Golf 1.8

Front Brake Disc (Pagid) £37.16 / Each (Bosch) £32.83 Each / (Eicher) £23.98 Each
Front Brake Pads (Pagid) £43.32 Set / (Bosch) £48.04 Set / (Eicher) £23.51 Set

Clutch Kit £118.80

2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.8

Front Brake Disc (Pagid) £31.04 / Each (Bosch) £36.24 Each / (Eicher) £22.50 Each
Front Brake Pads (Pagid) £35.66 Set / (Bosch) £35.09 Set / (Eicher) £23.15 Set

Clutch Kit £82.80

Please note there is no science in this just illustrative figures based on lowest prices shown on ECP website.
If doing short trips then defo petrol unless you your willing to floor the diesel at least once a week to clear the turbo, Egr and particulate filter. Otherwise they clog up and you'll be told you need a new turbo etc.. This is not always the case as their are some methods to help clean them but avoidance is the best cure.

I'm a sod for keeping my rev's low, Changing at around 2000rpm when really I should floor it a bit lol, I had to clean my Sharan's turbo a few times since owning her.

Diesels take longer to warm up too and only really become economical when warm etc.. Lot's of reasons why a diesel is not a good choice for short journeys. Another being that simply starting them takes more effort on the battery than petrol. I don't think stop start technology will be doing these any good either even though they're supposedly designed to run like that.
moob

OP - you should in my opinion, consider other options.Astras are very … OP - you should in my opinion, consider other options.Astras are very expensive to repair should/when they go wrong, as are Golfs.For your mileage, I'd consider getting a small engined car with excellent fuel economy.At your budget and age range, you could get a pre-facelift Civic 1.6 Sport - or a Honda Jazz on about a 2006 plate. I recently got my wife a jazz on an 04 plate, low miles, FSH etc - drives great and only cost £1900 - returns over 50mpg on a motorway run at 70mph.

I can't argue regarding Honda's reliability but I dare say a Vauxhall will be cheaper to maintain and buy parts for, Along with more availability of parts simply because they sell more = more demand for parts etc..
For me I would buy the Golf 1.6 TDI - driving one last year!
£30 tax per year!
holds it price for when you go to sell it!
Better built car

Astra = I drove a one & didnt like the ride! just something cheap about it!
shauneco

I can't argue regarding Honda's reliability but I dare say a Vauxhall … I can't argue regarding Honda's reliability but I dare say a Vauxhall will be cheaper to maintain and buy parts for, Along with more availability of parts simply because they sell more = more demand for parts etc..

Parts for an 04/05 Vauxhall will be cheap because there are so many in the car breakers yards at that age.
philireland1

For me I would buy the Golf 1.6 TDI - driving one last year!£30 tax per … For me I would buy the Golf 1.6 TDI - driving one last year!£30 tax per year!holds it price for when you go to sell it!Better built carAstra = I drove a one & didnt like the ride! just something cheap about it!

As the OP later revealed it's not going to be in budget, they are looking for 05/06 used cars.
shauneco

I can't argue regarding Honda's reliability but I dare say a Vauxhall … I can't argue regarding Honda's reliability but I dare say a Vauxhall will be cheaper to maintain and buy parts for, Along with more availability of parts simply because they sell more = more demand for parts etc..

Honda OEM parts aren't as expensive as many seem to think. Its a fallacy that Japanese cars have this downfall of expensive parts V reliability.

Astra 1.4 front pads/discs (Pagid) = £120

Golf 1.4 as above = £135

Civic as above = £106

Jazz as above = £112
Stu

ROFL - You suggest a Vauxhall or a VW would be expensive to repair and … ROFL - You suggest a Vauxhall or a VW would be expensive to repair and then recommend to buy a Honda!!I can't argue that Honda's are not reliable but then again so are many cars if well maintained.

The OP was talking about 1.4 models, so I put costs of those for comparison like you did.

Very different results...

So yeah, I'm saying Honda would be cheaper to run as they're -

A - more reliable so less failures
B - the parts I listed for 1.4 models were cheaper
C - more economical on fuel
shauneco

If doing short trips then defo petrol unless you your willing to floor … If doing short trips then defo petrol unless you your willing to floor the diesel at least once a week to clear the turbo, Egr and particulate filter. Otherwise they clog up and you'll be told you need a new turbo etc.. This is not always the case as their are some methods to help clean them but avoidance is the best cure. I'm a sod for keeping my rev's low, Changing at around 2000rpm when really I should floor it a bit lol, I had to clean my Sharan's turbo a few times since owning her. Diesels take longer to warm up too and only really become economical when warm etc.. Lot's of reasons why a diesel is not a good choice for short journeys. Another being that simply starting them takes more effort on the battery than petrol. I don't think stop start technology will be doing these any good either even though they're supposedly designed to run like that.

The OP is looking at an 04/05 plate, so DPF aren't common so a lot of your points are moot.
moob

The OP is looking at an 04/05 plate, so DPF aren't common so a lot of … The OP is looking at an 04/05 plate, so DPF aren't common so a lot of your points are moot.

Two out of my three point's are still valid, :), You have to consider the pro's and cons, Different things to consider when opting for diesel v petrol.

moob

The OP was talking about 1.4 models, so I put costs of those for … The OP was talking about 1.4 models, so I put costs of those for comparison like you did.Very different results...So yeah, I'm saying Honda would be cheaper to run as they're -A - more reliable so less failuresB - the parts I listed for 1.4 models were cheaperC - more economical on fuel

As I indicated in my post, there was no science I simply took 1.8 as a guide in all brands but as you choose mention it the OP was looking at a a circa 2004 1.9 TDI Golf and not a 1.4 Golf.

Cheapest front disks are £22.69 Each

Cheapest front pads are £18.16

That's £63.54 for pads and disks - Touche!!

How much is your Honda clutch kit??

I've got £75.60

I also checked the 2004 1.4 Golf just to be sure -

Disks £22.69 Each

Pads £18.16

A mere £64.07 for the lot.

The clutch kit is £92.40
shauneco

Two out of my three point's are still valid, :), You have to consider the … Two out of my three point's are still valid, :), You have to consider the pro's and cons, Different things to consider when opting for diesel v petrol.

Please explain what ones you're talking about ...
Stu

As I indicated in my post, there was no science I simply took 1.8 as a … As I indicated in my post, there was no science I simply took 1.8 as a guide in all brands but as you choose mention it the OP was looking at a a circa 2004 1.9 TDI Golf and not a 1.4 Golf.Cheapest front disks are £22.69 EachCheapest front pads are £18.16 That's £63.54 for pads and disks - Touche!!How much is your Honda clutch kit??I've got £75.60I also checked the 2004 1.4 Golf just to be sure -Disks £22.69 EachPads £18.16A mere £64.07 for the lot.The clutch kit is £92.40

If you'd take time to read my post where I lay out the prices from ECP for the same brand of disc and pad for each car, you'll find the Honda's are cheaper. That's irrefutable.

You used the cheapest brand of disc/pad combo - you also forgot that the pads price is per axel. Oops.

You can also get a clutch kit for similar money - but hey, how often do clutches go?

I've just traded in my 2006 diesel Accord - it had original exhaust (stainless steel) clutch etc with 90,000 miles and drove like new.

Edited by: "moob" 14th Jan 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants