Groups
    EXPIRED

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display 16GB

I think I can get one here in thailand for just under £1000 if I use my girlfriends student discount which is about 30%.

Do you think I would have problems selling it on ebay? Will come with a thai plug, but power is the same in UK as here - manual can be requested in English - maybe box will have Thai on it - I will say its a thai one if I bother doing this.

Think I would have to pay VAT of 20% if I declare it at the airport.

3 Comments

Original Poster

oh, I am coming home in 2 weeks and would list on UK ebay

You can buy them new off ebay for £1400/1500. UK models. You then have fees for selling through ebay/Paypal.

If buying to sell, regardless of it being just one item, that makes you a business and it should be declared to HMRC.

If you have to pay VAT or anything like that then you will be making far less. You then have the hassle/worry of posting the laptop and hoping the buyer isn't out to scam you, which is more likely to happen with an expensive electronic item, especially a Thai one.

Basically it's not really worth it for the small amount you'd be making. If you were buying to keep and use it it'd probably be worth it, but not to sell.

Original Poster

GamingDevil

You can buy them new off ebay for £1400/1500. UK models. You then have … You can buy them new off ebay for £1400/1500. UK models. You then have fees for selling through ebay/Paypal.If buying to sell, regardless of it being just one item, that makes you a business and it should be declared to HMRC.If you have to pay VAT or anything like that then you will be making far less. You then have the hassle/worry of posting the laptop and hoping the buyer isn't out to scam you, which is more likely to happen with an expensive electronic item, especially a Thai one.Basically it's not really worth it for the small amount you'd be making. If you were buying to keep and use it it'd probably be worth it, but not to sell.

ok thanks for the reply
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Customs charged too much for a little item!55
      2. Anyone got experience with an instant water heater for a shower?22
      3. Vodafone Broadband Issues33
      4. Any advice on mobile networks.77

See more discussions