Groups

15% instead of 17.5% VAT??? Doesn't seem to have updated yet.

Looking across multiple retailers doesn't seem like the VAT has been dropped yet!!

Ok so its 1st December but for example the new prices (minus 2.1% VAT) haven't been updated yet on Amazon!!

Get it sorted Amazon!! I regret missing that code now :-(

13 Comments

Banned

did you really expect most retailers to reduce their prices? :w00t:

it's never gonna happen!

csiman;3619561

did you really expect most retailers to reduce their prices? :w00t:it's … did you really expect most retailers to reduce their prices? :w00t:it's never gonna happen!

game have

Original Poster

Amazon have lied about it :-( I'm dissapointed, they said that from 00.01 GMT Monday all prices would be updated, no prices have changed since then.

Original Poster

Will Amazon.co.uk be cutting prices on everything?From Monday Dec 1st … Will Amazon.co.uk be cutting prices on everything?From Monday Dec 1st 2008, all products that are subject to the current standard rate of 17.5% VAT will be charged at the new lower rate of 15% VAT. Occasionally, one of a number of factors that we use to determine price can cause a price to stay the same or rise; but expect to see price reductions across the website as a result of the new VAT rate.

minnie77;3619617

Play.com too

Play.com is different because they are based in Jersey to avoid vat.

Banned

deathtrap3000;3619565

game have

hence why I used the word 'most' :whistling:

most retailers wont reduce vat as such at point of sale
    because on most items they are already heavely discounted the price will remain the same.
    it has been worked out that you need to spend approx £80+ to get something like £3.00 return
    or for every £100,000.00p you get Approx £1000.00p return
    and this is from a Big retailer and i mean BIG
    so is it worth it

bear in mind that vat on fuel came down :-D
    duty on fuel went up by 2p at ltr:x
    so who is the winner here ?

I just posted this in an expired Amazon post, but thought it would fit better here:

Ok, so I went to place an order at 00:20 and at the checkout it was still charging me 17.5% VAT. I tried to use the code and it said expired. What I then should have done was placed the order and sent them an email asking to refund the VAT difference. But what I did do was wait until this morning, now when I try to place the order the VAT is correct but the total is still the same...........so they have just adjusted the net.

Now I know what some of the prices were last week, and they are still the same now, so does this mean that Amazon aren't passing on the VAT saving?

I would have been better ordering 20 mins earlier and using the VAT code and it would have been cheaper?

I wouldnt expect many business-to-consumer retailers to pass down the VAT reduction. It messes up their pricing system. Something 9.99 for example would become some odd amount.
    Plus i'm sure they are happier to just make the extra profit in this volatile period

Original Poster

Incywincy;3621182

I just posted this in an expired Amazon post, but thought it would fit … I just posted this in an expired Amazon post, but thought it would fit better here:Ok, so I went to place an order at 00:20 and at the checkout it was still charging me 17.5% VAT. I tried to use the code and it said expired. What I then should have done was placed the order and sent them an email asking to refund the VAT difference. But what I did do was wait until this morning, now when I try to place the order the VAT is correct but the total is still the same...........so they have just adjusted the net.Now I know what some of the prices were last week, and they are still the same now, so does this mean that Amazon aren't passing on the VAT saving?I would have been better ordering 20 mins earlier and using the VAT code and it would have been cheaper?

Yes you would have, I'm kicking myself now, cost 2.13% or whatever isn't loads but of a £450 quid Camera that like a tenner which I could have saved. I thought they were actually going to follow their promise and reduce it, thats why I waited.

Let me know what they reply mate... I was after the Canon HF100

I think it's disgraceful how these companies are now profiting the difference, nice job Brown, real incentive.

Well I've just been to Tesco, everything went through at normal price but then at the bottom of the receipt it shows - VAT back - non food -£3.51.

So if Tesco can pass on the saving then why can't Amazon?

Really wish people would wake up regarding this.

My family were saying last week that they would wait to order stuff until today so that they would get it 2.5% cheaper. Never going to happen on everything!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)12
      2. Ditched Sky1012
      3. Ap on iPhone ios1122
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?712

See more discussions