15 Minute Grocery Delivery Start-Ups are Getting Crazy (New User Discounts)

Posted 16th Mar 2021
Since the beginning of the year, London has had a lot of startups enter the 10-15 minute delivery space, fulfilling orders directly from dark convenience stores (stores run by the company solely for delivery). It's insane that companies are able to deliver orders within 10 minutes! More and more keep on launching, many with aggressive new user promos. I think this is a really exciting thing, but unsure if it's a sustainable business model.

We have had the following companies launch in London (may have missed some):

Getir - 10 min grocery delivery, £15 off first order
Weezy - 15 min delivery
Dija - 10 min delivery, £10 off first order using code WELCOME10
Zapp - 20 min delivery, £10 off first order (min spend £20) using code ZAPPTEN
Gorillas - 10 minute delivery, £10 off first order using code LDN10
Jiffy - 15 minute delivery, 20% off first order + 1 month free deliveries using code WELCOME2JIFFY

Also honorary mentions to Devo and Pinga who offer same day grocery delivery from third parties such as Nisa and Co-Op.

Services such as Ocado Zoom, Waitrose Rapid, Sainsbury's Chop Chop, and Amazon Prime Now have been around for a while now, plus Deliveroo grocery delivery has massively increased in popularity, but nothing has been available as fast as 10 minutes until now. Is this something that could catch on? Do you see a future of people using these services instead of going to the corner shop? Will any of these businesses survive?
Community Updates
New Comment

43 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Of course it isn't sustainable.

Lots of startups funded by venture capital all hoping to get big enough, fast enough to either become the monopoly or to be bought out by whoever does.

Usually terrible pay for 'self employed' workers.

Look at the accounts for uber etc. Look at amazons early accounts.
    Why would anyone use these... Pay double the price plus delivery charge instead of taking a nice stroll to the corner shop. The mind boggles as to how lazy we have become....
    Gorillas claim to be paying salary not just per delivery. So we have chosen them. Excellent service and good choice including local suppliers
    deleted12428016/03/2021 10:32

“When you say 'salary' is that as an employee or as self employed (ie emplo …“When you say 'salary' is that as an employee or as self employed (ie employee has to cover tax and all costs from that)?or is competition for drivers so strong that they are being forced to pay a decent rate?”Gorillas claim to be paying salary not just per delivery. So we have chosen them. Excellent service and good choice including local suppliers

Author
    Antsaves16/03/2021 02:29

I don’t even get how it works I order the shop keepers runs around the s …I don’t even get how it works I order the shop keepers runs around the store then hands over the goods to the delivery driver who speeds all the way to mine?Delivery is big business right now so not surprised. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the same company owned a few of these..

You order on the app, and they use dark stores (small stores built just for delivery, sort of mini distribution centres) to pack your order in minutes and send it out with their couriers. Everything is all about speed. (edited)
    Wish it wasn’t just london

Just wanted to say another Thank you
    We have been ordering from getir since I saw your discussion.
    We have weekly discounts like order for £15 and get £10 off or order for £15.10 and get £15 off.
    We are basically getting stuff at 1/3 price
    44321433-BqZ08.jpgThis one below comes back weekly
    44321433-f7Ejs.jpg
    Author
    sisqoboy04/04/2021 11:07

@jamie15 Just wanted to say another Thank you We have been ordering …@jamie15 Just wanted to say another Thank you We have been ordering from getir since I saw your discussion. We have weekly discounts like order for £15 and get £10 off or order for £15.10 and get £15 off. We are basically getting stuff at 1/3 price [Image] This one below comes back weekly [Image]

Wow brilliant! Glad to have helped
    Author
    BargainsUk201916/03/2021 01:53

Wish it wasn’t just london

I wish it was in all parts of London at least, most of these are just zone 1 and 2 of London! (edited)
    jamie1516/03/2021 01:54

I wish it was in all parts of London at least, most of these are just zone …I wish it was in all parts of London at least, most of these are just zone 1 and 2 of London!

It is all about number of deliveries within the shortest possible radius. A densely populated city, with a mostly homebound population right now, is therefore the best market.
    Author
    deleted12428016/03/2021 10:25

Of course it isn't sustainable.Lots of startups funded by venture capital a …Of course it isn't sustainable.Lots of startups funded by venture capital all hoping to get big enough, fast enough to either become the monopoly or to be bought out by whoever does.Usually terrible pay for 'self employed' workers.Look at the accounts for uber etc. Look at amazons early accounts.

Gorillas are paying £11.50 salary per hour for drivers + tips, so not even cutting costs there.
    jamie1516/03/2021 10:26

Gorillas are paying £11.50 salary per hour for drivers + tips, so not even …Gorillas are paying £11.50 salary per hour for drivers + tips, so not even cutting costs there.

When you say 'salary' is that as an employee or as self employed (ie employee has to cover tax and all costs from that)?

or is competition for drivers so strong that they are being forced to pay a decent rate?
    Author
    deleted12428016/03/2021 10:32

When you say 'salary' is that as an employee or as self employed (ie employ …When you say 'salary' is that as an employee or as self employed (ie employee has to cover tax and all costs from that)?or is competition for drivers so strong that they are being forced to pay a decent rate?

Riders are directly employed, Gorillas do not use the gig economy for couriers. I think it's more of a PR move to persuade people to choose them since they pay staff well, rather than an issue of onboarding drivers (many in the gig economy have been struggling for jobs due to an excess of drivers since pandemic job losses) (edited)
    Such a great discussion

First time when I see an app only in app store /Dija/

I just want to try some of these
    Author
    sisqoboy19/03/2021 21:50

Such a great discussion @jamie15 First time when I see an app only in …Such a great discussion @jamie15 First time when I see an app only in app store /Dija/I just want to try some of these

Thank you

Personally I can't wait to try one of these! Wondering which company will enter next, it seems like everyone is getting into this space!
    Author
    rik11128/03/2021 21:52

Why would anyone use these... Pay double the price plus delivery charge …Why would anyone use these... Pay double the price plus delivery charge instead of taking a nice stroll to the corner shop. The mind boggles as to how lazy we have become....

It's not double the price, they are aiming to keep prices close to a typical convenience store. Corner shops are very expensive, I don't see this being much more

Why would anyone pay for this? Convenience. Quicker to order then get changed and go out then come back.
    Does this mean I'm going to get more cyclists zipping past within an inch of me on pavements and pedestrian areas? (Happens a lot in Glasgow with Just Eat and Deliveroo cyclists all over the place).
    Only tried ‘Chop Chop’ with free first delivery. Was ok, freshness good and within time though notification of delivery was before knocked the door. Not sure worth delivery £ for few items against a main shop with cheaper or similar fee. Not sure if best time to start as more people going out. (edited)
    Author
    deleted268442623/05/2021 15:19

Only tried ‘Chop Chop’ with free first delivery. Was ok, freshness good and …Only tried ‘Chop Chop’ with free first delivery. Was ok, freshness good and within time though notification of delivery was before knocked the door. Not sure worth delivery £ for few items against a main shop with cheaper or similar fee. Not sure if best time to start as more people going out.

Chop Chop is far slower than these services I think they promise 60 mins delivery, also maximum 20 item limit is stupid. I would try it out but only have Sainsbury's on Deliveroo here.

For these new services, items delivered within 10 minutes with similar cost than shops or even cheaper and also cheap/free delivery, plus no substitutions as they always know what inventory they have. They aim to be quicker delivering than it would take you to get dressed, leave, shop and return home. I think it is an interesting concept and can't wait to try it out when it launches near me.
    jamie1523/05/2021 15:26

Chop Chop is far slower than these services I think they promise 60 mins …Chop Chop is far slower than these services I think they promise 60 mins delivery, also maximum 20 item limit is stupid. I would try it out but only have Sainsbury's on Deliveroo here.For these new services, items delivered within 10 minutes with similar cost than shops or even cheaper and also cheap/free delivery, plus no substitutions as they always know what inventory they have. They aim to be quicker delivering than it would take you to get dressed, leave, shop and return home. I think it is an interesting concept and can't wait to try it out when it launches near me.

Remember the 80’s when the milk round would delivery selected groceries via message in bottle (Bread, Bacon, Juice, Sugar, Eggs etc.)
    Author
    deleted268442623/05/2021 15:44

Remember the 80’s when the milk round would delivery selected groceries v …Remember the 80’s when the milk round would delivery selected groceries via message in bottle (Bread, Bacon, Juice, Sugar, Eggs etc.)

Milk and More still do this online (edited)
    jamie1504/04/2021 11:09

There is another company called Fancy doing 30 minute delivery, in …There is another company called Fancy doing 30 minute delivery, in Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle so far.

I know this comment is from a few months ago but Fancy is great. Delivery fee is only £2 and if you choose price marked items it isn't too bad as those are honoured (eg. Cadbury Dairy Milk Giant Buttons price marked £1 on the bag sold for £1) - some things are more expensive which is to be expected with any of these apps
    Author
    andrewworrall115/09/2021 14:51

I know this comment is from a few months ago but Fancy is great. Delivery …I know this comment is from a few months ago but Fancy is great. Delivery fee is only £2 and if you choose price marked items it isn't too bad as those are honoured (eg. Cadbury Dairy Milk Giant Buttons price marked £1 on the bag sold for £1) - some things are more expensive which is to be expected with any of these apps

Good to hear! £2 delivery very reasonable. Unfortunately I have none of these services in my area yet so can't try
    jamie1515/09/2021 20:35

Good to hear! £2 delivery very reasonable. Unfortunately I have none of …Good to hear! £2 delivery very reasonable. Unfortunately I have none of these services in my area yet so can't try

I really want to try Getir because of the £15 discount but it isn't available in my area hopefully some of these services if not all will be available in your area soon
    Author
    andrewworrall115/09/2021 20:37

I really want to try Getir because of the £15 discount but it isn't …I really want to try Getir because of the £15 discount but it isn't available in my area hopefully some of these services if not all will be available in your area soon

Getir has changed to £10 off now I think, but still good. Gorillas is £10 off too
    jamie1515/09/2021 20:38

Getir has changed to £10 off now I think, but still good. Gorillas is £10 o …Getir has changed to £10 off now I think, but still good. Gorillas is £10 off too

Definitely still £15 as I see the adverts on social media daily. I think there's multiple first order discounts available at once
    andrewworrall115/09/2021 20:41

Definitely still £15 as I see the adverts on social media daily. I think …Definitely still £15 as I see the adverts on social media daily. I think there's multiple first order discounts available at once

£15 off offer on getir is only available in some areas. I know Manchester is one of them. Other areas are only £10 off, which is still good if you’re only spending 10p or £1 each time.

Fortunately, even though it’s not available at my address, it is available for my brother who lives like 10 mins away from me, so I’ve been able to do orders to his address and just collect from him.

Hopefully they expand soon to include more areas.
    I don’t even get how it works I order the shop keepers runs around the store then hands over the goods to the delivery driver who speeds all the way to mine?
    Delivery is big business right now so not surprised. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the same company owned a few of these..
    Believery is another one
    Think they cover full uk
    Author
    Today Weezy have launched in Bristol - great news for anyone there!

fruitnet.com/fpj…tol
    Author
    There is a company doing this in Cambridge called Genie too. Dija have announced their plans to acquire Genie. Consolidation already happening! geniedelivery.co.uk/
    Author
    Weezy launching in Brighton tomorrow! talkingretail.com/new…21/

Seems a bit odd they are rolling out to places like Brighton and Bristol without having covered much of London or other major cities yet but I guess it makes a change!
    Author
    There is another company called Fancy doing 30 minute delivery, in Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle so far.
    Author
    Waitrose Rapid is closing on 28th May so they can focus on Deliveroo. New customers no longer accepted rapid.waitrose.com/
    Author
    louiselouise23/05/2021 14:46

Does this mean I'm going to get more cyclists zipping past within an inch …Does this mean I'm going to get more cyclists zipping past within an inch of me on pavements and pedestrian areas? (Happens a lot in Glasgow with Just Eat and Deliveroo cyclists all over the place).

They have to deliver in under 10-15 minutes so can imagine how fast they will try to be
    Author
    independent.co.uk/bus…tml

Tesco has launched a 1 hour delivery service trial from their Wolverhampton Willenhall Express store. There is a £5 delivery cost. Bear in mind this isn't the first Tesco 1 hour delivery trial (some may remember Tesco Now a few years back) but it's the first time it is integrated into the main Tesco Groceries website.
    Author
    Forgot to include Jiffy! 20% off first order + free delivery for first month, 15 mins delivery. Not great discount but better than nothing if you've rinsed the rest jiffygrocery.co.uk/
    Is a new number all it takes to be a new customer like getir? ive used them extensively for deliveries to family members hs.
    10 minutes? If you are too far back in the queue it can take longer to get through one set of lights.
    I'm waiting for all homes to be equipped with pneumatic systems (like supermarkets used to used for money) that will send it straight to your cupboard. Might start off as an order of eggs, but it's quiche by the time you receive it.
    Do not get fooled by Getire, they send rotten fruit and vegetable. No refund is given and even if they offer you a refund or compensation vouchers, refund will not be issued and teh voucher dose not work.
's avatar