Groups

16 Year Old , Writing a CV + covering letter,

Hi ,

I'm 16 and finishing GCSES atm . There are jobs in my city centre as sale assistant and they require a CV and covering letter.

What is the best way to write this , seeing as I have no qualifications as i don't get my results till August,

thanks.

25 Comments

predicted grades :thumbsup: btw im 17 and have been through this

whsmith and marks and spencers are the best paid sales assistant jobs.

in your covering letter say you are willing to be flexible and do loads of overtime - they will love you!

you need to include details such as the exams you've taken and what grades you are expected to attain, any work experience you have ( saturday ob/ voluntary work ) any positions of responsibility you've held at school, what out of school activities you do ( hobbies etc ) and what you feel your strengths are xx

TomWilkoLFC;5401876

predicted grades :thumbsup: btw im 17 and have been through this

Predicted grades: 10 A* ;-)

blackpeppa;5401895

whsmith and marks and spencers are the best paid sales assistant jobs.

Don't know where you get that idea from ..... WHSmiths pay minimum wages

Spriggan;5401904

Predicted grades: 10 A* ;-)

preferably real ones :w00t:

Explain in a covering letter your circumstances, and draw up a cv detailing achievements in your school time. Be honest but definitely dress up events which highlight your positive nature, sometimes just having a positive nature can be good enough. Express an interest in further education through work, like NVQ's and Modern Apprenticeships and remind them that there are grants available for training young people.

Good luck.

Thanks for this thread

Need this to.

Is it ok, to say predicted grades All "A-C" even though my only C will come in french.

Original Poster

Well theres a job at BOROS , and one at Quicksilver, don't mind the hours / pay to much , just something to keep me busy for my long summer holiday..

Is the fact I've done a paper round for 3 years worth doing ,

and I'm starting a volenteer project soon , that worth putting?

ANyone know what the minimum wage is at 16

3.67?

strike;5401945

Thanks for this threadNeed this to. Is it ok, to say predicted grades All … Thanks for this threadNeed this to. Is it ok, to say predicted grades All "A-C" even though my only C will come in french.

well on the covering letter, i listed all my subjects and grades along with the rest :thumbsup:

spobby;5401950

Well theres a job at BOROS , and one at Quicksilver, don't mind the hours … Well theres a job at BOROS , and one at Quicksilver, don't mind the hours / pay to much , just something to keep me busy for my long summer holiday..Is the fact I've done a paper round for 3 years worth doing ,and I'm starting a volenteer project soon , that worth putting?

yes mention that you have had a paper round for 3 years as well in cv and mention the volenteer project to.:thumbsup:

Becksdawe;5401912

Don't know where you get that idea from ..... WHSmiths pay minimum wages

used to pay best wages in the high street only a few years ago - i am shocked!

Original Poster

TomWilkoLFC;5401976

yes mention that you have had a paper round for 3 years as well in cv and … yes mention that you have had a paper round for 3 years as well in cv and mention the volenteer project to.:thumbsup:

Whats the best way to set this all out then,

blackpeppa;5401986

used to pay best wages in the high street only a few years ago - i am … used to pay best wages in the high street only a few years ago - i am shocked!

Used to be one of the best places to work for

spobby;5402011

Whats the best way to set this all out then,

after you tell them about your school stuff on your cv. well, thats what i did

Banned

strike;5401945

Thanks for this threadNeed this to. Is it ok, to say predicted grades All … Thanks for this threadNeed this to. Is it ok, to say predicted grades All "A-C" even though my only C will come in french.

do you really need an answer to that

strike;5401955

ANyone know what the minimum wage is at 163.67?

£3.53 I believe.

Original Poster

hmm , I'm gunna try produce something now , cheers for all the advice , wasn't expecting this kind of response.

went on a course about this with the Association of Accountant Technicians (or whatever they're called) and they said the standard is basically.
    *Name
    *contact details
    *if under 18 i'd put age on, if above don't put age on as to avoid discrimination (and agencies delete this off the system anyway)
    *Education/qualifications - most recent/predicted first. as you're only at GCSE you could potentially list each subject and a predicted grade.
    *Work experience - paid and unpaid (with a brief description of where you excelled and your roles)
    *your key attributes with brief description - for eg. team work, literacy, computer skills, numeracy, communication.
    *Hobbies and interests - these are used to break the ice in interviews.
    *references - one personal (but not family) and one professional/educational) - ask references for permission first.

Keep your CV to two pages, don't print double sided and remember to tailor each CV to the job you are applying. E.G. Quiksilver will want dif. people to Marks and Spencers - don't just send same CV out to everyone!

Hope this is helpful and I have been complimented from many people in various industries on my CV layout so must be doing something right! remember basics such as spelling and grammar on it as if they see errors here they'll just bin it.

Original Poster

jaymzf;5402163

went on a course about this with the Association of Accountant … went on a course about this with the Association of Accountant Technicians (or whatever they're called) and they said the standard is basically.*Name*contact details*if under 18 i'd put age on, if above don't put age on as to avoid discrimination (and agencies delete this off the system anyway)*Education/qualifications - most recent/predicted first. as you're only at GCSE you could potentially list each subject and a predicted grade.*Work experience - paid and unpaid (with a brief description of where you excelled and your roles)*your key attributes with brief description - for eg. team work, literacy, computer skills, numeracy, communication.*Hobbies and interests - these are used to break the ice in interviews.*references - one personal (but not family) and one professional/educational) - ask references for permission first.Keep your CV to two pages, don't print double sided and remember to tailor each CV to the job you are applying. E.G. Quiksilver will want dif. people to Marks and Spencers - don't just send same CV out to everyone!Hope this is helpful and I have been complimented from many people in various industries on my CV layout so must be doing something right! remember basics such as spelling and grammar on it as if they see errors here they'll just bin it.

cheers will bare that in mind

Why not find a local shop that you are familiar with & the staff know you, then ask the manager(s)/owner(s) if you can help out for a few hours at weekends (or weekdays after your exams have finished) for free, in return for the provision of a reference for you to support your CV?

You can then offer previous experience of sales (handling cash, dealing with customers, shelf stocking) & perhaps cleaning (or whatever) on your CV too.

Alternatively, do you have any family members or close friends that can offer you a similar arrangement?

Good luck in any respect.

BFN,

fp.

sassie;5402026

do you really need an answer to that

Yes. Have you heard the phrase, if you got nothing positive to add. Be quiet. But as i can see from your previous post, you just seem ignorant

Also, some employers like to see what grades you are achieveing and where

Original Poster

Question , a job app asks for reference , someone who has known me for 3 years , but im struggling , what should I put , I need 2

spobby;5485871

Question , a job app asks for reference , someone who has known me for 3 … Question , a job app asks for reference , someone who has known me for 3 years , but im struggling , what should I put , I need 2

friend family?
    teacher from school?
    work experience?

I went through the same last year, currently working in yellow pages now! got the job at 16..

Hobbies and interests, make sure you mention anything! it makes you fly through an interview!
    And about the predicted grades, just predict what you think, they don't really check it up that much. I don't think they'll go into so much detail for a part time job anyways. (they didn't for me, I assume the same for you!)

Anyways good luck matey
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller33
      2. word association Game73944536
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17846380
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2149

See more discussions