Groups
    EXPIRED

18 month old PS3 : BR dirve failed today : options

Advice requested.

My PS3 blue ray drive apprears to have died. Sometimes it will register a DVD, but only sometimes, and it wont recognise any BR (Games or films).

its about 18 months old.

Checked the sony site but cant find out any information on out of warranty repairs - or can anyone recommend a repair service. One in Dundee (an hours drive from me) appears to do a full BR drive replacement for £80 with 6 months warranty - is this any good ?

27 Comments

£140 repair from Sony.

that is a lot of dosh to change a dvd drive however its dressed up methinks :o(

I was told that it was £99 from sony to do?

Original Poster

Syzable;7386060

£140 repair from Sony.

Is that from experience ?

im in dundee, i dont know of any reputable ones, honestly your better going with sony even though its more expensive

saying that i actually dont know of any :lol:

What is it 80GB if so you have a chance of them doing it for free?

Original Poster

Met-Cast;7386375

What is it 80GB if so you have a chance of them doing it for free?

yes its an 80gb FAT - tell me more !

mrcareful;7386076

that is a lot of dosh to change a dvd drive however its dressed up … that is a lot of dosh to change a dvd drive however its dressed up methinks :o(

It's a blu-ray drive.

@ OP: Serves you right.

Original Poster

adrian96;7386536

@ OP: Serves you right.

eh :thinking:

I'd demand my consumer rights!!! I'm of the opinion that something like a games console of that expense should last more than 18 months and if you were on mainland Europe you'd get a 2 year guarantee.

Happy new year !

phanco;7386500

yes its an 80gb FAT - tell me more !

youtube.com/wat…NTg

Lol

Well you can tell them its under a year old and I think they'll replace it for you :thumbsup:. Could say you lost the receipt too or it was a gift.

Original Poster

anyone know the sony phone number ?

phanco;7386871

anyone know the sony phone number ?

08705998877 Sony Playstation Customer Service.

andel90;7388509

If you want to avoid 0870 numbers, you can try 01923 476426 or 020 7859 5000

trade it in for a 360 at game, most times they dont test consoles

my ps3 broke too!

just phone sony they should fix it for free
    if they dont just site sale of goods act where it says item should be expected to last a reasonable time and 18 months for £300 is not reasonable they usually crumble then

if not hang up and try again eventually you will get someone who will

Original Poster

andel90;7388509

linuxlinks;7388551

If you want to avoid 0870 numbers, you can try 01923 476426 or 020 7859 … If you want to avoid 0870 numbers, you can try 01923 476426 or 020 7859 5000

Thanks Guys - will try on Monday...

Bully;7388765

trade it in for a 360 at game, most times they dont test consoles

Why would I want to downgrade ? :whistling:

phanco;7386267

Is that from experience ?

From a friend. I'm on my 4th PS3 now but luckily all have gone within warranty and all of them with Blu-Ray failure.

I now have a PS3 Slim and hoping that these aren't built with budget, faulty parts. Fingers Crossed.

The PS3 has now overtaken the failure rate of my 360 Elite. :lol: Still on the 1st Wii though. :-D

Banned

Syzable;7389534

From a friend. I'm on my 4th PS3 now but luckily all have gone within … From a friend. I'm on my 4th PS3 now but luckily all have gone within warranty and all of them with Blu-Ray failure. I now have a PS3 Slim and hoping that these aren't built with budget, faulty parts. Fingers Crossed.The PS3 has now overtaken the failure rate of my 360 Elite. :lol: Still on the 1st Wii though. :-D

That's a surprise! I'd imagine this post might be a new reference point when a "Sorny fanboy" takes on on "xbox fanboy" about Red rings!

Original Poster

Contacted Sony today - only offer on 3 attempts was £131 for a refurb unit with 3 month warranty.

However, when testing it with the sony guy on the phone seems to have burst back to life so have given it a go over with a can of liquid air and will see what happens.

Thanks for your help guys.

phanco;7426419

Contacted Sony today - only offer on 3 attempts was £131 for a refurb … Contacted Sony today - only offer on 3 attempts was £131 for a refurb unit with 3 month warranty. However, when testing it with the sony guy on the phone seems to have burst back to life so have given it a go over with a can of liquid air and will see what happens. Thanks for your help guys.

Did you say it was under a year old?

Original Poster

nah it turns a 40gb not an 80gb so older than I though (found a receipt for 02/03/08 - still only 20 months old though ...

They insisted on a serial number before they would even quote what service they could offer...

phanco;7426419

Contacted Sony today - only offer on 3 attempts was £131 for a refurb … Contacted Sony today - only offer on 3 attempts was £131 for a refurb unit with 3 month warranty. However, when testing it with the sony guy on the phone seems to have burst back to life so have given it a go over with a can of liquid air and will see what happens. Thanks for your help guys.

that was the best we got too when ours broke
    although we ended up with the same fault 2 and a half months down the line
    sony then sent us a new replacement after it broke again a month later :thumbsup:
    more trouble that its worth lol

Original Poster

pinky89;7426561

that was the best we got too when ours brokealthough we ended up with the … that was the best we got too when ours brokealthough we ended up with the same fault 2 and a half months down the line sony then sent us a new replacement after it broke again a month later :thumbsup:more trouble that its worth lol

I see they sell for about £90 faulty on ebay.

£90 faulty + £130 i would have to pay sony for refurb 40gb + 3 month warranty = Brnad new Ps3 slim 120 gb !

Go figure !

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193
    2. PlayStation Hacked Again?22
    3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News44
    4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1020

See more discussions