Groups

£180 for PS3 Phat 40GB retail, brand new. Is this a good deal or should I wait?

Just wanting some advice really. I'm in two minds about getting the new PS3 slim or an older (but brand new) PS3 phat model, mainly cos i want to run linux (more specifically, mame through linux) I've found the PS3 phat 40GB online from a well known retailer, but is £180 a good price or has anyone seen cheaper elsewhere? Are they hard to come by now in the first place even!?

Cheers in advance for any advice given ;-)

9 Comments

whos the well known retailer???

Expensive, leave it..

buyithere.co.uk/pro…rb+

is cheaper there when instock (which is often)

Original Poster

t0mm;7351105

Expensive, leave … Expensive, leave it..http://buyithere.co.uk/product/playstation_3_40gb_console_black_ps3_box_damaged_828649rb+is cheaper there when instock (which is often)

I've been checking there for the past 8 - 10 weeks, never seen it in stock in all that time. Not doubting you did, but hen did you last see it come in stock there mate? I've been scanning sites on and off for months now, hoping for an older phat PS3 at the RIGHT price. buyithere.co.uk did have these in stock for a while, but at a hifgher price, the price only seemed to drop to £159.99 when they became out of stock! There seems to be scant few of these around brand new, so I might just get the one I spotted for £180 before they become OOS.

dunno if this helps but you can find the 80gb model for £190 on ebay
    *********.co.uk/Son…tem

item number 270501881694

it was on ebay daily deals

Dont get the fatty you'll be the laughing stock of your town/village/city. Youll end up needing to buy a bigger harddrive as well if you play a lot of games that install onto the hardrive

iNSOMANiAC;7361604

Dont get the fatty you'll be the laughing stock of your … Dont get the fatty you'll be the laughing stock of your town/village/city. Youll end up needing to buy a bigger harddrive as well if you play a lot of games that install onto the hardrive

Can you read?

Original Poster

I got the phat PS3 80GB model at PC world a few hours ago for £200 inc 3 years extra cover, even if it's my fault it broke! So I'm chuffed. I want the phat so's i can install Linux, also a 2.5 250gb HD (slighly bigger even) can be had for £25 if yo look around.

Cheers for all the feedback anyways, much appreciated ;-)

Incidently, the slim may be flatter than the phat, but the fat seems to take up slightly less of a footprint, so I don't see a HUGE difference in size personally. I think the lack of 'OtherOS' is more of an issue than people may think. It'll definitely help the phat models hold their price, expecially if Linux is pre-installed.

Be warned Linux on the PS3 isnt very good as Sony intentionally throttle the cpu when in OtherOS mode.

Also I assume you do have a HD tv but if you dont its a bit pointless since I tried my PS3 on a CRT tv with Yellow Dog Linux and my screen was green tinted the same as if playing a dvd or blu ray on the console with the PS3 OS and it had massive black borders on top and bottom.

Banned

£180 is very pricey for a console manufactured over a year ago.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…24100
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4191856
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764649
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals31411

See more discussions