Expired

18650 Batteries - Use in Ultrafire Torch

Found 22nd Jan 2013
Hey guys and girls, I'm looking at getting a torch and there is an Ultrafire torch that some reviews say is better than the lenser equivilent. Only problem is it uses 18650 batteries and these seem super expensive. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Community Updates
MiscTorchBattery
15 Comments
Jesus, that's a lot of batteries.
dxx

Jesus, that's a lot of batteries.

:-)

It's a bright torch lol
They are about £2-3 each on the bay so how is that expensive? (from uk sellers - less from china) Similar prices for the charger too, get a couple of sets and you are good to go, I keep one set in the torch and the other set charged and ready to use.
Edited by: "harlzter" 22nd Jan 2013
Should also add if you use the protected cells you may need a small neodynium magnet to use as the positive (nipple) bits - it needs them for my 2 cell torch but for the 1 cell one they aren't.
harlzter

They are about £2 each on the bay so how is that expensive? (from uk … They are about £2 each on the bay so how is that expensive? (from uk sellers - less from china) Similar prices for the charger too, get a couple of sets and you are good to go, I keep one set in the torch and the other set charged and ready to use.

Are they safe? I've read stories of exploding batteries?
sparx1981

Are they safe? I've read stories of exploding batteries?

No problems with mine, the danger comes with damaged cells, as always though never leave charging unattended and I do mine on the hearth so if something goes wrong its no biggie. Didn't use to but since my dad had a brand new energizer AA blowup in a charger I take no chances.

You will find that there are only a set number of manufacturers, mostly the real difference is the label/branding.
Which torch are you looking at? Do you have a link?

2 things an LED torch must have for me is a glass lens and a metal reflector
I've been using 18650 cells from dealextreme for about 4 years, and never had a problem with them.

They're usually the same type as used in laptop batteries.
I've been using 18650 cells from dealextreme for about 4 years, and never had a problem with them.

They're usually the same type as used in laptop batteries.
do you know which brand you use? Are they ULTRAFIRE? most places I've looked advise to avoice any with ~fire on the end.
If you read the thread someone states "oh, crap! we don't often get reports of exploding 18650s "

It also mentions they was unprotected cells and maybe damaged or overcharged, without the full story its inconclusive either way.

I actually prefer to buy such as this from dealextreme than ebay though as the reviews are left unedited whether good or bad so you can see peoples experiences.
PS that torch is the same as one of ours and its a great little torch blindingly bright yet compact, I bought it off ebay just before xmas for £13 with a battery and charger.
Well I just ordered panasonic batteries from DX and a charger. In total via paypal it was £17. Quite a lot considering the torch is only £10 but I guess it's part of the reason that such a powerful torch is cheap.
sparx1981

Well I just ordered panasonic batteries from DX and a charger. In total … Well I just ordered panasonic batteries from DX and a charger. In total via paypal it was £17. Quite a lot considering the torch is only £10 but I guess it's part of the reason that such a powerful torch is cheap.

The torches are solidly built so should last a while, plus spares such as lenses and tail cap switches are easy to source.

£17 sounds steep though for batteries and charger don't forget you will probably need some sort of adapter for the charger to turn it into a 3 pin plug.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants