1911 census online

For anyone interested in genealogy, the 1911 census is now available online here
1911census.co.uk/

However, the North East of England and Wales haven't been done yet and are unavailable until later in the year!

5 Comments

yeh i heard about this on the news

good post

Is there a way to view the census for free?

Original Poster

It seems quite pricey and they haven't even scanned any of the North East of England yet.

You can do a basic search for free, but that does give any information really, such as address, occupation or other household members. I don't know if you can view the census the old fashioned way by going down to the library and using microfilm/fiche or not or trying the local FHC, I hope so as there is no way I am going to pay those prices! I'm not too impressed with the search function either, as you have to give a year of birth and only + or - 2 years. Ah well, at least it has been released 2 years earlier than it was meant to be!

Maybe im missing the point, I thought the freedom of information act meant we (the public) were entitled see this information. But having to pay to see it...just seems wrong :?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763950
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    3. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions