Groups

193 NHS staff assaulted every day. Please sign the petition.

193 NHS staff are assaulted every day. Please sign the petition to force the government to debate this disgusting behaviour. Scotland already makes it a specific offence akin to that of assaulting a Police Officer.

petition.parliament.uk/pet…138

21 Comments

my Mrs works in a and e.And worries me constantly. she has already come home with some minor knocks and scrapes, biting seems to be a favourite for a lot

Signed, thanks.

violentj

my Mrs works in a and e.And worries me constantly. she has already come … my Mrs works in a and e.And worries me constantly. she has already come home with some minor knocks and scrapes, biting seems to be a favourite for a lot

Must be a worry mate, my Mrs only works in a Primary school & she's been bit, punched, kicked & swore at on number of occasions. Makes you wonder what kind of morons there are around these days. A friend of mine who i used to work with, is a Paramedic now. I caught up with him the other week & he was saying he's been assaulted on a number of occasions & the young girl he works with was punched in the face & spat on by a bloke in his 60's just before Christmas. Shocking really, when they've only gone to help them.

Edited by: "OldEnglish" 13th Jan

I would expect a fair amount of those are accounted for by drunks and drug users in a state and at the other end of the spectrum, ill people with dementia, mental illness, head injuries etc. A lot of people out there now have tempers and aggression that goes from zero to aggression to violent in very short time scale.

Every day! Considering that they are looking after us when we actually need it, that should be unacceptable.

Thanks OP. Me and my partner have signed.

Not sure how much signing will help, but signed.

Mum in law works in A&E.

Since all the cuts have kicked in it's basically become a dumping ground.

Horrible thing is it's probably costing more to run the department like this than all the cuts to the various mental health services have saved...

BlackCloud

I would expect a fair amount of those are accounted for by drunks and … I would expect a fair amount of those are accounted for by drunks and drug users in a state and at the other end of the spectrum, ill people with dementia, mental illness, head injuries etc. A lot of people out there now have tempers and aggression that goes from zero to aggression to violent in very short time scale.

Yes, i would imagine it's the same people they are dealing with on a regular basis. Same as the Police.

Signed x

Signed xx

Signed and totally support/agree.
    Edited by: "cloudthecat" 13th Jan

My Aunty & Uncle were both paramedics for over 15 years & my Mum was an A&E nurse for over 10 years, the times I've heard them talking about people spitting, hitting, kicking, assaulting and swearing at them is disgusting!!
    Like someone else said, the majority gas been people under the influence of drink/drugs, but still it's no excuse, it's shocking! Who wants to wake up on a morning and go to work to get this abuse on a daily basis??
    NHS= National Hangover Service!!

My mate who is about 5 ft 2 and very slim is an A&E nurse, when she first qualified she was sick of being attacked by patients and despite ward security there was often a time lag between someone kicking off and security rocked up.

After one incident she reported it to a colleague, who happened to be a visiting Israeli Consultant, and he arranged after shift Krav Maga classes, so she and her colleagues could learn to defend herself and protect herself from harm.

As she said she cant stop trouble happening but now feels more much more confident and has the skills to handle herself.

Signed

Disgusting unacceptable behaviour. Our medical staff have enough other isues to deal with without having the threat of being abused or assaulted

35708 signatures so far

Signed.

AnE needs bouncers.

Signed.
    What is really needed it make any kind of violent behaviour (public or private)as unacceptable as drink driving/smoking in a public place etc.

Signed.

Words fail me!

I've heard about this on a tv program a year or so ago. Back then a large majority of assaults on NHS staff were drunken louts on a Friday and Saturday night who have drunken so much that they ended up at hospital.

IMO being drunk in a public place should be a criminal offence, what positive could possibly come about from being drunk in life?.

Anyway, signed.

Banned

I volunteered in A&E, it was the night shift and the drug addicts coming in asking for methodone or alternatives, are the ones who became the most abusive for the nurses when I was working reception

What the hell is a petition going to do?

All that will happen is some big wigs will 'debate' it momentarily then move onto the next petition...

This has been going on for decades. If you choose to assault NHS staff, you should have your NHS entitlement removed and be forced to pay for further treatment, or pay for security assistance for staff during your treatment.

Edited by: "delboyd" 14th Jan

Original Poster

J4GG4

I've heard about this on a tv program a year or so ago. Back then a large … I've heard about this on a tv program a year or so ago. Back then a large majority of assaults on NHS staff were drunken louts on a Friday and Saturday night who have drunken so much that they ended up at hospital.IMO being drunk in a public place should be a criminal offence, what positive could possibly come about from being drunk in life?.Anyway, signed.

It is a criminal offence. Unfortunately over the years society has allowed it to become acceptable behaviour.

Criminal Justice Act 1967
    91 Drunkenness in a public place.

(1)Any person who in any public place is guilty, while drunk, of disorderly behaviour may be arrested without warrant by any person and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

(2)The foregoing subsection shall have effect instead of any corresponding provision contained in section 12 of the M1Licensing Act 1872, section 58 of the M2Metropolitan Police Act 1839, section 37 of the M3City of London Police Act 1839, and section 29 of the M4Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (being enactments which authorise the imposition of a short term of imprisonment or of a fine not exceeding £10 or both for the corresponding offence) and instead of any corresponding provision contained in any local Act.

(3)The Secretary of State may by order repeal any provision of a local Act which appears to him to be a provision corresponding to subsection (1) of this section or to impose a liability to imprisonment for an offence of drunkenness or of being incapable while drunk.

(4)In this section “public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise.

Original Poster

Thanks to all those who read and/or signed the petition. The total is well over the 100,000 signatures required to request a Parliamentary debate; In fact it has already been scheduled for next month.
    With the leaders of the major parties and Jeremy Corbyn signing the petition, I think it will sail through.

Thanks again.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Galaxy Note 8 grey import12
      2. New Firmware for S4 mini?11
      3. Tesco vouchers?22
      4. Wall mounting the OLED55B7V33

See more discussions