1980's Kodak film

Posted 4th May
Hi
I have found some of my dads old kodak kodachrome slides.
Does anyone know of a website that would be able to put these onto a cd so that i can print them off again
It would be nice to see some recent history.3455823-YN3FK.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I have a professional scanner. How many do you have?
10 Comments
Hi, have done this myself. You can send them away but it is expensive. You can also get cheap slide digitisers on eBay, which are OK, but not brilliant.
DIY methods. If you still have access to a a slide projector and screen (or a white wall) you can project the slides and take very acceptable photos with a digital camera/phone (preferably on a tripod) set up just in front of and slightly below the projector.

Or, alternatively there is an app called Photomyne Slidescan, I use Photomyne Photoscan to digitise old photos and it is brilliant, so I would hope the slide version is as good. It is a subscription service, but only 9£ per year and you can download any images you create to you PC/device for permanent storage.
I have tried the home scanner route in the past but the photos didn’t really come out that well..
i have a tray of 20 to sort out..l even then I think a couple of them didn’t process correctly in the first place,
coloramastudio.co.uk/

Used the above guys last year to do the same. They have a store near me and converted on to a pendrive for me.
Look on EBay. My parents had 100s of these. Sent them off and returned on 8 or so discs and background music. They are fab bring back great memories
Is it possible the home scanner you used before was a limiting factor? Maybe it was one of those simple camera on a lightbox jobbies airbus330 mentions?

Given that 126 Instamatic cameras were generally not the best for the time and modern expectations regarding sharpness, freedom from grain, dust and hairs etc. it's possible even really good scans could leave you a bit underwhelmed from a technical viewpoint.

Seem to be plenty of options online with decent feedback eg.
filmscanuk.co.uk/Sli…php
though not sure about minimum order sizes and other potential hidden costs.

My main concern would be that now may not be the best time to be sending irreplaceable stuff through the post so might be an idea to follow Duggie2000's lead and go local?
Thanks for all the advice.. been looking today. The best local price was £35 for 20 slides...that did seem a lot but I am just fearful of losing them...
I have no idea why I am so fearful as I haven’t seen them in 40 years.. might be no good..but my late dad took them and i would like to show them to my youngest members of the family who never met my dad,
SoCal04/05/2020 19:24

Thanks for all the advice.. been looking today. The best local price was …Thanks for all the advice.. been looking today. The best local price was £35 for 20 slides...that did seem a lot but I am just fearful of losing them... I have no idea why I am so fearful as I haven’t seen them in 40 years.. might be no good..but my late dad took them and i would like to show them to my youngest members of the family who never met my dad,

Just taken a quick look at EBay. £5.99;for 10 slides put on a disc.
ArcadeAssassin04/05/2020 09:17

Thanks for the offer, it was really appreciated... Especially at this time :-) I saw a really good offer on a website so might try that.
SoCal05/05/2020 13:03

Thanks for the offer, it was really appreciated... Especially at this time …Thanks for the offer, it was really appreciated... Especially at this time :-) I saw a really good offer on a website so might try that.

Apologies, I didn’t see the reply you made initially with the quantity as you didn’t quote me in it so I never got an alert. Never mind.

20 slides would take me two hours to scan, and then a couple hours to put through photoshop to remove blemishes and sort colour balance etc.

Have a look at Rivive Studios in Cardiff, I used them before doing it myself. Very good service.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions