Expired

1GB or 2GB laptop ?

2 replies
Found 14th Sep 2007
I am in the market for a laptop (about £400 max). For the people in the know have told me that it is better to go for 2gb ram rather than 1 because 1gb laptop is too slow. Is this true? Should I just look for 2gb laptops or are 1gb laptop OK?

Also - Is Vista better or XP? Again, people tell me that Vista needs at least 1gb to operate and it is still very slow because some of the memory is used by the graphics card.

OK. So should I just look for 2GB laptops & with or without Vista?

Thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
3 Comments

The two questions are interrelated. Generally Vista really needs 2Gb, it will run on less but not as well as it might. XP on the other hand would be more than happy with 1Gb. But a lot depends on what you'd actually be using it for, if you're doing things like graphic design for example you'd be better with more memory whatever the OS you choose (well actually if you were doing graphic design you'd be better with a Mac but that's a whole other discussion :giggle: ).

Either way though personally I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10ft bargepole due to the bugs, driver, security, DRM and privacy issues etc. but that's a awful long discussion.

Original Poster

megalomaniac

The two questions are interrelated. Generally Vista really needs 2Gb, it … The two questions are interrelated. Generally Vista really needs 2Gb, it will run on less but not as well as it might. XP on the other hand would be more than happy with 1Gb. But a lot depends on what you'd actually be using it for, if you're doing things like graphic design for example you'd be better with more memory whatever the OS you choose (well actually if you were doing graphic design you'd be better with a Mac but that's a whole other discussion :giggle: ).Either way though personally I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10ft bargepole due to the bugs, driver, security, DRM and privacy issues etc. but that's a awful long discussion.

Thanks. I would be using it for surfing the net, some word/excel work and some video editing. That's about it really. I was thinking of Dell 6400 but I am not happy with Dell. There delivery time is now end of October. :-(

You should get 1GB with the laptop as it's cheaper to upgrade it yourself than get it from the laptop maker. Have you tried the Vostro line of laptops in the Small Business section of the dell site? Great value
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person626
    2. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage22
    3. What is the best weight training app for iOS please?33
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch59

See more discussions