1st Driving Test Tomorrow - Any tips? Help? Don't do's? Do's?

Lesson: 0845 - 0900
Test: 0917 - whenever

If anyone out there knows Nelson well at this time in a morning - any advice, I do my lessons at 1100. I know my lesson is gonna be through rush hour but hopefully this gets rid of all the nerves and improves my clutch control even more

57 Comments

Make sure the car isn't in gear when you crank the engine, and when it starts, jump onto the bonnet just in case the car rolls forward.

Oh, and didn't your driving instructor give you any hints and tips?

Banned

slip the examiner a few quid

Original Poster

Afterburner;5435298

Make sure the car isn't in gear when you crank the engine, and when it … Make sure the car isn't in gear when you crank the engine, and when it starts, jump onto the bonnet just in case the car rolls forward.Oh, and didn't your driving instructor give you any hints and tips?

Yeah he did, but I wouldn't mind hearing about some other peoples experiences

dont crash?? lol

just relax u wil be fine

Original Poster

rm13_hammer;5435328

slip the examiner a few quid

I've actually thought about that :whistling:

Nah, I wish.

Original Poster

micoo;5435337

dont crash?? lol just relax u wil be fine

Cheers, I'm gonna eat 2 bananas before my lesson so by the time I take my test they should kick in.

How long was everybodies test?

I did a mock the other week and it felt like I'd been driving for about 15 minutes - not 30 odd.

Some people say that, as long as you keep your cool, it can actually be easier in rush hour, because the test lasts the same amount of time so you dont have to do as much actual driving

My tip would be, if you can, get out in the rush hour now to practice rush hour driving

Good luck

Banned

Meadsy4742;5435361

Cheers, I'm gonna eat 2 bananas before my lesson so by the time I take my … Cheers, I'm gonna eat 2 bananas before my lesson so by the time I take my test they should kick in.How long was everybodies test?I did a mock the other week and it felt like I'd been driving for about 15 minutes - not 30 odd.

mine was ment to be 45 mins but also did mine in rush hour so ended up being just over an hour

get a good nights sleep and eat a healthy breakfast x x

don't hit anything

drive like a granny.

also remember the test starts as soon as you get in the car not when you get on the road - my friends managed to fail her test before she even got out of the car park

Banned

Keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists when you do your reverse round corner, 3 point turns etc. Even if you think they're not close and will have seen you, you still get failed for it if you're in their way.

oh and don't forget only about 40% pass first time so don't fret if it doesn't quite work out this time around :thumbsup:

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;5435362

Some people say that, as long as you keep your cool, it can actually be … Some people say that, as long as you keep your cool, it can actually be easier in rush hour, because the test lasts the same amount of time so you dont have to do as much actual drivingMy tip would be, if you can, get out in the rush hour now to practice rush hour drivingGood luck

My lesson will be during rush hour tomorrow so hopefully that will help. Instructor said that rush hour tests have pros and cons.

Pros being that you hardly do any driving with stopping and starting in traffic and at the lights.

Cons being things become more complicated with people rushing around, cutting people up, turning without indicating and also, Nelson is packed with very awkward pedestrian crossings, 10m after a large roundabout and stuff - very awkward in busy traffic.

rm13_hammer;5435377

mine was ment to be 45 mins but also did mine in rush hour so ended up … mine was ment to be 45 mins but also did mine in rush hour so ended up being just over an hour

Mine was also in rush hour. Came back within 30 mins
Passed first time. Chewing gum helped with nerves, but I remember my legs shaking at the start of my test!
My instructor always cleaned the car before a test, so they feel more comfortable.

My advice, have a good 8 hours sleep :thumbsup:

Make sure that the examiner sees you do your mirror checks well and if you go on a dual carrige way get up to speed (70)and overtake cars most of all show confidence that you are able to carry on learning after you pass your test on your own that is what the test is all about!

Good luck and we will all be thinking about you :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Jemima Jane;5435413

Keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists when you do your reverse … Keep an eye out for pedestrians and cyclists when you do your reverse round corner, 3 point turns etc. Even if you think they're not close and will have seen you, you still get failed for it if you're in their way.

As soon as I see a car coming towards me in either direction I just stop the car and then carry on when its safe to do so. Manoveours aren't really a problem, I'm hoping for bay parking and reverse round a tight or gradual bend or a turn in the road. Parralel park can be quite hard when its busy.

Also, dont stop looking in all of the mirrors, have your head on a swivel. You can not check too many times.

Original Poster

mikebike;5435442

Make sure that the examiner sees you do your mirror checks well and if … Make sure that the examiner sees you do your mirror checks well and if you go on a dual carrige way get up to speed (70)and overtake cars most of all show confidence that you are able to carry on learning after you pass your test on your own that is what the test is all about!Good luck and we will all be thinking about you :thumbsup:

Cheers bud

The highest speed is a single carriage by-pass of 50 and some country lanes a NSL but 40 down them is sufficient.

I have been told to over emphasise my observations, I seem to just check my mirrors out the corner of my eye instead of physically moving my head - but I do actually check them.

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;5435457

Also, dont stop looking in all of the mirrors, have your head on a … Also, dont stop looking in all of the mirrors, have your head on a swivel. You can not check too many times.

Agreed - I want neck ache before I finish - I'm just gonna be checking everytime I do something...anything. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

kewldeals;5435428

Mine was also in rush hour. Came back within 30 mins :pPassed first time. … Mine was also in rush hour. Came back within 30 mins :pPassed first time. Chewing gum helped with nerves, but I remember my legs shaking at the start of my test!My instructor always cleaned the car before a test, so they feel more comfortable.My advice, have a good 8 hours sleep :thumbsup:

The car is always clean. Gum....thats a good idea, I chew gum quite alot so maybe it will help me become more comfortable.

Don't drive too slowly, believe it or not I got given a majr fault for driving at 20mph in a 30 zone (past a school I might add)!!!

[QUOTE=Meadsy4742;5435484]Agreed - I want neck ache before I finish - I'm just gonna be checking everytime I do something...anything. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

+1 :thumbsup:

Original Poster

burstlikeabubble;5435425

oh and don't forget only about 40% pass first time so don't fret if it … oh and don't forget only about 40% pass first time so don't fret if it doesn't quite work out this time around :thumbsup:

I won't be disheartened if I fail first time....its just the amount of cash gone into these 2 days.

£20 lesson today,
£20 lesson in the morning and then;
£62 for the test itself

And I'm currently out of work

civms47;5435501

Don't drive too slowly, believe it or not I got given a majr fault for … Don't drive too slowly, believe it or not I got given a majr fault for driving at 20mph in a 30 zone (past a school I might add)!!!

+1:thumbsup:

Original Poster

civms47;5435501

Don't drive too slowly, believe it or not I got given a majr fault for … Don't drive too slowly, believe it or not I got given a majr fault for driving at 20mph in a 30 zone (past a school I might add)!!!

Yeah I've heard of these, some examiners are quite lenient with this though.

Less space, less speed.

They can't expect me to be going bang on 30 when theres tight gaps where cars are parked on each side.

why is it your 1st, are you planning to take another?

good luck

dress conservatively, like a responsible person

I just passed on thursday with 4 minors, its a great feeling.
I did mine at 13:03 pm
the test is 38-40 mins long, but once you've done the vehicle safety questions which are easy, (but if you get them wrong, don't worry you only get one minor.), its only about a half hour of driving.

Dont fret during the test if you feel that you have done something wrong, the examiner is looking to see that you are a good driver. You are allowed up to 14 minors (15 is discretionary). Just be safe, and check your mirrors every 5 seconds and before you signal.

I had a turn in the road (my favourite) and a parallel park behind a car. I forgot to put the wing mirror dowwn at the start of the parrallel park and so I just stopped half way and put it down and carried on.

Always, remember to check your blind spot before the actual manouvres and the turns in manouvres and also before you pull away after stopping on the side of a road. You will be asked to stop and pull away a few times and possibly on a hill behind another car so that you have slightly blocked vision ahead. Remmber to get the bite on the hill so you dont roll.

You should probably know all of this though!
On things like dual carriageways, dont forget to remain in the left lane unless you are overtaking somone slow.

MAke sure you are within a miles of the speed limit and no more than one over it really ( 2 would probab;y get you a minor, dont worry.
eg SPEEDS
30mph range: 27-31
40mph range: 37-41

etc.

Remember to be friendly with the examiner. If you stop at lights for a while, he'll probably strike up conversation like what your hobbies are or what you have been doing lately.
(I just spoke about my revision for my ongoing AS exams)

I had a lesson, then a 15 minute break for a packet of crisps and some water and then I went and did the test.
I found that drinking some water before starting also helped to calm the nerves, and I felt quite relaxed.

GOOD LUCK!

Original Poster

amzmalhotra;5435674

I just passed on thursday with 4 minors, its a great feeling.I did mine … I just passed on thursday with 4 minors, its a great feeling.I did mine at 13:03 pmthe test is 38-40 mins long, but once you've done the vehicle safety questions which are easy, (but if you get them wrong, don't worry you only get one minor.)Dont fret during the test if you feel that you have done something wrong, the examiner is looking to see that you are a good driver. You are allowed up to 14 minors (15 is discretionary). Just be safe, and check your mirrors every 5 seconds and before you signal. I had a turn in the road (my favourite) and a parallel park behind a car. I forgot to put the wing mirror dowwn at the start of the parrallel park and so I just stopped half way and put it down and carried on.Always, remember to check your blind spot before the actual manouvres and the turns in manouvres and also before you pull away after stopping on the side of a road. You will be asked to stop and pull away a few times and possibly on a hill behind another car so that you have slightly blocked vision ahead. Remmber to get the bite on the hill so you dont roll.You should probably know all of this though! :)On things like dual carriageways, dont forget to remain in the left lane unless you are overtaking somone slow.MAke sure you are within a miles of the speed limit and no more than one over it really ( 2 would probab;y get you a minor, dont worry.eg SPEEDS30mph range: 27-3140mph range: 37-41etc.Remember to be friendly with the examiner. If you stop at lights for a while, he'll probably strike up conversation like what your hobbies are or what you have been doing lately.(I just spoke about my revision for my ongoing AS exams)I had a lesson, then a 15 minute break for a packet of crisps and some water and then I went and did the test.I found that drinking some water before starting also helped to calm the nerves, and I felt quite relaxed.GOOD LUCK!

Bang on what I was looking for.

Well done on passing your test and thanks for the information

every 5 - 10 secs look up in your rear view mirror xxx

nerves were good for me they kept me alert but made the steering wheel slippery (sweaty hands)xxx

watch out for zebra crossings

passed my test last year 1st time with 5 minors

:w00t::w00t: book your retest now!

ps

good luck x x

Original Poster

ilovepink;5435726

every 5 - 10 secs look up in your rear view mirror xxxnerves were good … every 5 - 10 secs look up in your rear view mirror xxxnerves were good for me they kept me alert but made the steering wheel slippery (sweaty hands)xxxwatch out for zebra crossingspassed my test last year 1st time with 5 minors

Thanks....will be checking my mirrors no end tomorrow

transit;5435731

:w00t::w00t: book your retest now!

Idiot.

If you miss a gear change, have another go at it rather than staying in the same gear. Make sure you completely stop the car at a stop sign. Basics Really.

Meadsy4742, how did you get on?!

Original Poster

kewldeals;5443501

Meadsy4742, how did you get on?!

I failed

Right at the beginning, half my fault and half a white van man being too impatient.

Only got 5 minors throughout aswell.

The examiner said it was a shame to fail me but it had to be done.

Just all that money gone and Im really short atm.

Don't worry if you stall the car, just put in neutral, put the handbrake on and start the engine again.

I stalled the car twice on the test I passed! I also took a left turn when asked to turn right, but I ended up having to do some nifty driving on a roadwork assault course as a result - lol.

Getting some sleep and breakfast is also a fab idea!

Good luck

Meadsy4742;5443876

I failed :(Right at the beginning, half my fault and half a white van man … I failed :(Right at the beginning, half my fault and half a white van man being too impatient.Only got 5 minors throughout aswell.The examiner said it was a shame to fail me but it had to be done.Just all that money gone and Im really short atm.

better luck next time hon x x

Sounds like you had some tough luck!

I didn't realise the test was this morning - better luck to you next time!

Original Poster

Butterflies;5443949

Don't worry if you stall the car, just put in neutral, put the handbrake … Don't worry if you stall the car, just put in neutral, put the handbrake on and start the engine again.I stalled the car twice on the test I passed! I also took a left turn when asked to turn right, but I ended up having to do some nifty driving on a roadwork assault course as a result - lol.Getting some sleep and breakfast is also a fab idea!Good luck

I did stall during the test, it only counted as one minor. The test itself is soooo easy, I didn't get bay parking, I got a reverse around a tight corner and a turn in the road, both done without any minors.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again614
    2. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710
    3. Sad news about Barcelona2073
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846124

See more discussions