1st laptop for 15 year old?

Found 18th MayEdited by:"BIGUSHEADUS"
Been asked to recommend a laptop for a friend's daughter, requirements are cheap and large hdd.

With cloud computing and how the price of sd cards are dropping I think the Ssd route for the main storage is the only way to go.

I'm thinking of either the Acer Spin 1 4gb of ram with 32gb SSD and tell her to add an additional 128gb m.2 SSD, with a 1080p screen too.
This is around £200

But I'm more inclined to tell her to buy the Jumper Ezbook 3 Pro, which by all accounts is gorgeous and awesome. But is it applicable as a 1st laptop for a 15 year old?
This is around £225 from amazon

And anyone else got any other suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Community Updates
AskComputers
6 Comments
Buddy has a Jumper Ezbook 3 Pro N3450 6GB + 64GB with M.2 expansion slot and it is a decent and capable machine. The v4 is typically suggested to be the most desireable. If the v4 is supplied fulfilled Amazon at £224 I doubt you could obtain anything comparable for the price with equally comparable reassurance of Amazon CS if the hardware goes south.
Would that meet the criteria of "large HDD"? Probably not out of the box, but possibly might with an M.2 installed at minimum additional £50+ for 240GB, but even that may not satisfy "large HDD". May be worth clarifying what the expected requirement is for "large HDD" and why the storage needs to be on-device; maybe see if the storage can be deferred to a portable / desktop device that will inherently be cheaper per GB and separate the risk of all-in-one loss if the Jumper has it away on its toes.
And when all sorted, also budget for a backup device / service to accommodate the capacity of the "large HDD".
AndyRoyd43 m ago

Buddy has a Jumper Ezbook 3 Pro N3450 6GB + 64GB with M.2 expansion slot …Buddy has a Jumper Ezbook 3 Pro N3450 6GB + 64GB with M.2 expansion slot and it is a decent and capable machine. The v4 is typically suggested to be the most desireable. If the v4 is supplied fulfilled Amazon at £224 I doubt you could obtain anything comparable for the price with equally comparable reassurance of Amazon CS if the hardware goes south. Would that meet the criteria of "large HDD"? Probably not out of the box, but possibly might with an M.2 installed at minimum additional £50+ for 240GB, but even that may not satisfy "large HDD". May be worth clarifying what the expected requirement is for "large HDD" and why the storage needs to be on-device; maybe see if the storage can be deferred to a portable / desktop device that will inherently be cheaper per GB and separate the risk of all-in-one loss if the Jumper has it away on its toes. And when all sorted, also budget for a backup device / service to accommodate the capacity of the "large HDD".

Thanks Andy that's brilliant advice, absolutely super!

Yes I will ask about the hdd space. With the price of recertified 1tb drives at a little under £30 to be had the overall package of the jumper is brilliant when compared to everything else in its price range.

Thanks again Andy
SD cards and online storage are nowhere near the price of a large hard drive.

SD cards are around £400 per terabyte for cheap ones. They are slower and less reliable than a hard drive and require you to juggle them to access different data (and an external card read to move data around).

Online storage is cheaper, but you're still talking £40-50 a year for an amount comparable to a large hard drive. Plus all the disadvantages of online storage like high mobile broadband costs to access it while out and about.

If a large hard drive is required then both are likely to be very unsatisfactory alternatives.

I'd also personally avoid the very cut down £200 laptops and either buy a second hand laptop at that price (which would be faster) or spend a bit more on a normal laptop.
May be a tough call between the new £224 Jumper fulfilled Amazon and the £210 Grade A HP Elitebook 820 G1 12.5" i5-4300U 180GB SSD Windows 10 carry case from itzoo hotukdeals.com/dea…730 but still need to clarify "large hdd" for both options.

AndyRoyd17 m ago

May be a tough call between the new £224 Jumper fulfilled Amazon and the …May be a tough call between the new £224 Jumper fulfilled Amazon and the £210 Grade A HP Elitebook 820 G1 12.5" i5-4300U 180GB SSD Windows 10 carry case from itzoo https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurb-grade-a-hp-elitebook-820-g1-125-laptop-i5-4300u-180gb-ssd-window-10-carry-case-sign-up-for-10-off-20999-itzoo-2944730 but still need to clarify "large hdd" for both options.

I just saw the HP post and thought it was perfect too, but they've already gone with the Ezbook. Thank you for posting, incredibly thoughtful. The 'large hdd' was only for downloaded music for their music course at school, thus it won't be too substantial, and if it gets too cramped I think the tiny thumb 128gb thumb drive would be best or even a micro sd which the Jumper supports.

Thanks again AndyRoyd
Edited by: "BIGUSHEADUS" 24th May
AndyRoyd24th May

May be a tough call between the new £224 Jumper fulfilled Amazon and the …May be a tough call between the new £224 Jumper fulfilled Amazon and the £210 Grade A HP Elitebook 820 G1 12.5" i5-4300U 180GB SSD Windows 10 carry case from itzoo https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/refurb-grade-a-hp-elitebook-820-g1-125-laptop-i5-4300u-180gb-ssd-window-10-carry-case-sign-up-for-10-off-20999-itzoo-2944730 but still need to clarify "large hdd" for both options.

Thanks Andy she's made up with it!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants