1st Use Android Box, Streaming.....

11 replies
Found 5th Feb
Wanting to buy my 1st Android/Streaming box. Read quite a bit on HUKD and elsewhere but want some help from those more in the know.

I have selected the following as a start point :-

aliexpress.com/ite…qFG

Can those with good knowledge advise if :

a) Is this a good spec/up to the job ? Not sure of my use yet but likely to be Sports, Film & basic Freeview channels e.g. BBC, ITV Hub, C4 etc...

b) Is this good value or should I be after something else ?

Another important point is I intend to take this oveseas & not sure if this has any implications ?

TIA

11 Comments

Banned

Kodi

If your on ebay or amazon, just search mxq box fully loaded Kodi. And its basically plug it in and off you go. Theres just been an update on kodi, so make sure its v17

that will do the job just fine, will stream anything. It's more to do with what's streaming and who's streaming what, not the box.
this may not sound like help, but watch youtube videos, that's how I learned about adding apps and custom builds. believe me if i can do it anyone can, just spend a few hours max, mess about with it and you'll be fine, honestly.
if you take it abroad, which I haven't done yet. I'd assume you'd just need to plug it in, connect to Wi-Fi as away you go?

Banned

STRICKIBHOY

that will do the job just fine, will stream anything. It's more to do … that will do the job just fine, will stream anything. It's more to do with what's streaming and who's streaming what, not the box. this may not sound like help, but watch youtube videos, that's how I learned about adding apps and custom builds. believe me if i can do it anyone can, just spend a few hours max, mess about with it and you'll be fine, honestly.if you take it abroad, which I haven't done yet. I'd assume you'd just need to plug it in, connect to Wi-Fi as away you go?

Yup, will do the same job anywhere in the world as long as it's got an internet connection.

Personally, I'd say get a fire box. I used to have a generic android box, then got a nvidea shield, sold that to buy a fire box. Fire box best by far if you only want it for streaming
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 5th Feb

EN1GMA

Personally, I'd say get a fire box. I used to have a generic android box, … Personally, I'd say get a fire box. I used to have a generic android box, then got a nvidea shield, sold that to buy a fire box. Fire box best by far if you only want it for streaming

​Does it have a wired Ethernet connection?

Banned

Gollywood

​Does it have a wired Ethernet connection?

Yes, the Firebox 4k does at least. Amazing bit of kit.

Original Poster

Thanks all, still contemplating what to go for. Isn't the Firebox quite a bit more expensive ? just wondering how much more benefit I would get than an Android box ?

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Yup, will do the same job anywhere in the world as long as it's got an … Yup, will do the same job anywhere in the world as long as it's got an internet connection.

Thanks, I assumed that to be the case. However, I was wondering what the ways around the likes of BBC recognising my IP outside of the UK were, would I have to load a secure VPN to the device or is there any other way around it ?

EN1GMA

Personally, I'd say get a fire box. I used to have a generic android box, … Personally, I'd say get a fire box. I used to have a generic android box, then got a nvidea shield, sold that to buy a fire box. Fire box best by far if you only want it for streaming

I would actually agree. I have a Shield and needed to replace an old Beelink Android box so got a Fire TV box. This runs just as well as a shield but a lot cheaper (shield great if you want gaming as well).

The Fire TV had all the apps we needed, Netflix, Amazon Prime (obviously), YouTube and all the usual iplayer, ITV, 4 and 5 and so on. Some of these just don't work on Android boxes or don't work as well. And as mentioned Kodi will give you lots of addons.
There are some things an Android box will do that the Fire TV can't but if it's just streaming you want I would say it's a great box, fast and nice menu system.

wetek play 2, can get freesat channels as well or freeview, wetek.com/pro…ay2
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Android pay set up610
    2. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    3. Christmas presents510
    4. Mobile phone advice33

See more discussions