Expired

2 dentists saying different things! Advice

Found 6th Aug
Hi.

I went the dentist a month ago and had a back tooth fix as it was chipped, no drilling or needles involved, went back today because it fell out and seen a different dentist but this dentist was a total snotty idiot and he said i needed a proper filling and needs to be drilled etc, so i explain that i was only here less than a month ago why the big change now, and he didnt give me an answer. So i just said leave it and im gonna go back to the dentist i originally seen.

My question is do the dentists at (MYDentist) NHS gain from drilling or doing extra work to my teeth? I dont understand why the dentist i seen last month not need to drill and just filled the chip but now it suddenly needs to be drilled etc.

Could this dentist just be a rough ? (He is new to the branch btw)
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
So what you are saying is that what the first dentist tried, failed. If it failed once and so soon, it will probably fail again which is why the second dentist has said it will need a proper filling.
19 Comments
So what you are saying is that what the first dentist tried, failed. If it failed once and so soon, it will probably fail again which is why the second dentist has said it will need a proper filling.
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

So what you are saying is that what the first dentist tried, failed. If it …So what you are saying is that what the first dentist tried, failed. If it failed once and so soon, it will probably fail again which is why the second dentist has said it will need a proper filling.

Yeah i understand that but he honestly didn’t even check my teeth properly, i think it was his whole attitude what put me off. I was just wondering wether they do gain financially by doing extra work even though its a NHS dentist.
SteMoss11 m ago

Yeah i understand that but he honestly didn’t even check my teeth p …Yeah i understand that but he honestly didn’t even check my teeth properly, i think it was his whole attitude what put me off. I was just wondering wether they do gain financially by doing extra work even though its a NHS dentist.

So what if he does? Whatever the first dentist did didn't work so you clearly need something different
MadeDixonsCry3 m ago

So what if he does? Whatever the first dentist did didn't work so you …So what if he does? Whatever the first dentist did didn't work so you clearly need something different

So what if he does??? So what? Its my teeth? I don’t want work doing on my teeth just because they financially gain from it!
SteMoss15 m ago

Yeah i understand that but he honestly didn’t even check my teeth p …Yeah i understand that but he honestly didn’t even check my teeth properly, i think it was his whole attitude what put me off. I was just wondering wether they do gain financially by doing extra work even though its a NHS dentist.

From what I understand (my sister is a dentist but in Scotland where the system is slightly different) they are paid on a scale for what they do in three tiers. First tier is for check up, scale and polish and the basics, second for fillings and the like and the third for more complex work such as crowns. Obviously it is more time consuming and costly to do a proper filling (the dental practice also have to pay for the equipment, materials etc) than a quick fix. Could be the second dentist is trying to get more money or it could be the first is trying to pull a fast one and has charged the nhs for a filling.
psychobitchfromhell1 m ago

From what I understand (my sister is a dentist but in Scotland where the …From what I understand (my sister is a dentist but in Scotland where the system is slightly different) they are paid on a scale for what they do in three tiers. First tier is for check up, scale and polish and the basics, second for fillings and the like and the third for more complex work such as crowns. Obviously it is more time consuming and costly to do a proper filling (the dental practice also have to pay for the equipment, materials etc) than a quick fix. Could be the second dentist is trying to get more money or it could be the first is trying to pull a fast one and has charged the nhs for a filling.

I only paid for a check up cost when i had it originally fixed. Im going to be going back anyway to see the other dentist so il make my mind up then. Thanks
SteMoss2 m ago

I only paid for a check up cost when i had it originally fixed. Im going …I only paid for a check up cost when i had it originally fixed. Im going to be going back anyway to see the other dentist so il make my mind up then. Thanks

Please let us know if the first dentist agrees with the second
SteMoss4 m ago

I only paid for a check up cost when i had it originally fixed. Im going …I only paid for a check up cost when i had it originally fixed. Im going to be going back anyway to see the other dentist so il make my mind up then. Thanks

I've had them do that before but normally they will say that it it doesn't work it will have to be filled properly. Sometimes you can fix a hole in the wall with a quick bit of polyfilla, sometimes you need to replaster.
I am going to see another dentist tomorrow as I am not fully trusting my current dentist, lost a crown last week, been on for years, dentist says there is nothing she can really do as there isn't much tooth left underneath, however the only thing that has come off was the crown. Her advice was to have it out and replace the tooth and as I have a missing one behind with implants. Sounds good but thats £3.5K, but is her preferred option, an alternative her second suggestion is a £600 denture, as she wouldnt recommend a bridge or putting in a post and then recrowning as that may not last. Only the bridge could be done on the NHS.

The work you are talking about sounds like there is not enough of a hole to fill so the second one is suggesting to remove it and fill it properly. Had that before, the dentist will try the easy option first.
A few years ago my son needed a brace on his teeth. I saw 2 dentists, the 1st one was a NHS dentist who told me my son needed 4 healthy teeth extracted. The 2nd was an orthodontist who told me those 4 healthy teeth didn't need to come out at all. So I went with the 2nd choice. Its always best to get a second opinion
summerof7623 m ago

A few years ago my son needed a brace on his teeth. I saw 2 dentists, the …A few years ago my son needed a brace on his teeth. I saw 2 dentists, the 1st one was a NHS dentist who told me my son needed 4 healthy teeth extracted. The 2nd was an orthodontist who told me those 4 healthy teeth didn't need to come out at all. So I went with the 2nd choice. Its always best to get a second opinion

Did you follow that up at all? I'd like to think there is a law against that, and that dentist would be charged/sued/struck-off
I think the first Dentist has had a go and trying to save the tooth doing minimal work. Had it worked it, it would have been good for you.

This hasn’t been successful as it’s only lasted a month.

Second Dentist has read your notes, seen what was done, had a quick look to confirm his thoughts and decided a much greater amount of work is now needed to save the tooth.

While you didn’t like his attitude it doesn’t mean he is incorrect.

This first Dentist treatment hasn’t been successful so another approach is needed as suggested by Dentist two.

Niether Dentist is in the wrong.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 6th Aug
2nd dentist sounds like they know what they are on about.

Like above they have seen your notes, took a look at your issue amd told you what needs doing.

They may have had an attitude, but dont judge them solely based on that. You dont know what they may have been through that day.

Maybe, just a thought they are sick on dentists like your 1st causing problems which they may have to fix.
i think it's the needles putting you off, i always prefer the dentist's that does more work than less, if not happy change dentist
at least you have got an NHS dentist - mine went 'private' and it seems to be a licence to charge whatever he likes (for the last 20 years or so!)
Edited by: "joesmum" 6th Aug
First dentist sees work is needed, but does a tempory fix (i.e. a non chargeable job) and charges you the standard band 1 fee. Second dentist does the filling and charges you the band 2 fee.

If the first dentist had done the filing then he would have had to charge you the band 2 fee. End result is a band 1 fee and a band 2 fee rather than just a band 1 fee.
Pandamansays9 h, 39 m ago

First dentist sees work is needed, but does a tempory fix (i.e. a non …First dentist sees work is needed, but does a tempory fix (i.e. a non chargeable job) and charges you the standard band 1 fee. Second dentist does the filling and charges you the band 2 fee.If the first dentist had done the filing then he would have had to charge you the band 2 fee. End result is a band 1 fee and a band 2 fee rather than just a band 1 fee.

Das sum kwik maffs
going by the thread i dont think it was the dentist with the attitude
ive been today, turns out i do need a filling eventually but at the moment a temp fix would be okay, but I’ve had it done anyway.

Regarding the dentist having an attitude, i was speaking to the receptionist who ive knew for years about what happened yesterday and it was quite clear after our conversation that the new dentist i seen yesterday does have a attitude problem.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions