2 Internet Connections in one house?

Found 10th Aug 2011
Is it possible to have 2 broadband Internet connections in one house? And having 2 bills from our ISP(talktalk)?

I'm talking separate routers on separate phone lines, one to cover upstairs, and one downstairs. We want to do this to avoid lag when streaming and gaming at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
Banned
You'll need a second line installing but no reason why not.
Why not call your ISP?
Original Poster
We will of course. Just wanted a quick answer for now to see if it's possible without wasting money calling them.

So the house currently has 2 phone lines, one on the ground floor, one on the top floor. We should be good?
Banned
Thomas.

We will of course. Just wanted a quick answer for now to see if it's … We will of course. Just wanted a quick answer for now to see if it's possible without wasting money calling them.So the house currently has 2 phone lines, one on the ground floor, one on the top floor. We should be good?

2 lines with 2 seperate numbers? Shouldn't be an issue then.
Are the phone lines on seperate lines and have different numbers or is the upstairs just an extension of the main line
Original Poster
newbie1001

or is the upstairs just an extension of the main line

Yeah, that.
You would have to have a new line installed with a seperate number i'm afraid
Seems a little excessive, can't you just upgrade to their fastest connection speed?
Banned
Your plan won't work. You need 2 independent lines. Welcome to paying £125 + VAT for the pleasure
You would need a new line installed (so there is line rental for that too). Probably cheaper going for a better (faster) package.
thesaint

Why not call your ISP?

Too easy.

Hes a pro gamer.

oddballjamie

Seems a little excessive, can't you just upgrade to their fastest … Seems a little excessive, can't you just upgrade to their fastest connection speed?

Original Poster
We are pretty much at maximum speed for our area, which is 6MB. If someone in the house is downloading or streaming iplayer/youtube and someone is gaming, it can get rather laggy. We do alot of all these in this house, so that's the reasoning for having 2 connections.

Final question, how much does a new line installation usually cost?
Thomas.

We are pretty much at maximum speed for our area, which is 6MB. If … We are pretty much at maximum speed for our area, which is 6MB. If someone in the house is downloading or streaming iplayer/youtube and someone is gaming, it can get rather laggy. We do alot of all these in this house, so that's the reasoning for having 2 connections.Final question, how much does a new line installation usually cost?

There are occasional BT deals for installation as a freebie. Usual price is £120ish. Plus line rental of £12 a month roughly.
jonny619447

Too easy.

Not with Talk Talk it isn't.
Original Poster
Okay guys, thanks for all the help. Much obliged.
Banned
expensive way to become a multi on HUKD
I know when I called Virgin for a 2nd modem that I couldn`t and they couldn`t or more likely wouldn`t install another cable/line

But probably easier with www via phone lines, but saying that nearly all companies go via BT lines and just take over the management like British Gas and all ther suppliers use their pipes
Original Poster
Thomas.

We will of course. Just wanted a quick answer for now to see if it's … We will of course. Just wanted a quick answer for now to see if it's possible without wasting money calling them.

goldmax

expensive way to become a multi on HUKD

I didn't know this, my bad.

What?
Thomas.

We are pretty much at maximum speed for our area, which is 6MB. If … We are pretty much at maximum speed for our area, which is 6MB. If someone in the house is downloading or streaming iplayer/youtube and someone is gaming, it can get rather laggy. We do alot of all these in this house, so that's the reasoning for having 2 connections.Final question, how much does a new line installation usually cost?

Can't you get BT infinity or cable? 40-50Mb is about the standard around here.
if your router allows it cap the bandwidth supplied to the other users in house see if you also have Qos

google.co.uk/sea…879
OP get virgin downstairs,and talktalk upstairs.
we used to have 2.7mb download speed at my parents house (middle of no-where) even though we had many PCs, servers, LinkStations, SqueezeBoxes etc - i never had Lag problems on the 360. worth paying for a decent provider tho (BT!)

i now have my own house with Virgin 30mb - UBER FAST! altho i heard they are testing 100mb in the area
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions