Groups

2 PC's sharing peripherals

Hi

I have my main PC and a mini htpc type thing and I am using them with one monitor and keyboard/mouse. I bought a cheap vga kvm switch off eBay and used 2 printer type USB leads to connect the machines to it, it works fine, press a button and I get the keyboard and mouse on each one. I am using DVI on main PC and VGA on mini PC on my monitor. I just use the buttons on monitor to switch. The thing is I wondered if I could share my speakers too? They only have one 3.5mm jack which goes to my main PC at the moment, could I just buy some Y adapter and plug both ends into the line out of the PC's? Or is it not possible? Closest I can find is this : ebay.co.uk/itm…051 but its for microphone and headphone instead of headphone headphone.

I think you can get kvm switches with speakers/microphone inputs too which maybe the only solution, ideally I'd get a digital dvi/hdmi one but they are expensive

Thanks

10 Comments

Looks possible ... amazon.co.uk/Spe…tch

Cheaper than the equivalent on ebay

OOPS, I think that actually works out the wrong way round, unless you use M-M and F-F adapters!!!

ebay.co.uk/itm…159?hash=item1ea2a800ef:g:9awAAOSw~gRVzKQd
    Need to arrange your own box for this
    Edited by: "matth9999" 14th Sep 2016

I use a 5 way splitter with my harman kardon speakers, I have it connected to my pc, a chromecast audio, ps3 & xbox360.

Many KVM switches will include 3.5mm jack switching too.

Would be cheaper to get a usb 99p sound card and just switch the default output.

How's the experience with the kvm swtch? Are they worth the money?

I have similar setup Acer Revo M1601 and main PC but I currently use Input Director - means I have to leave Acer Revo (the Master) always powered on but it does work OK except I can't get Input Director to boot on startup Win10 (before password login) I use a spare bluetooth mini keyboard to login and then I'm OK

Just curious if it's worth the investment?
    Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Sep 2016

many modern pc speakers have a 3.5mm input on the back and also have a 3.5mm input on the side of a speaker for plugging in iphone and stuff. if you plug both pc's in sound will play out of both speakers. almost every pc speakers I've seen is like this.

this is an example can you see at the front there is a headphone jack and then an input jack next to it google.co.uk/search?q=pc+speaker&client=ms-android-samsung&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:9&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=10439272736685810077&prds=cid:16461333819230598372,mvi:0,paur:ClkAsKraXy4MsS1sK8WR8orqjW64b_8hTApTU6sN52o1GgnhRXdkytxNsQOUQOFacLrtI-B1awuKKEB9K5dR-nY5zFFtvHeiQrngaQXUFWf1T-KyvB7tqHYW6BIZAFPVH72munEdAL9tWziOsvkYbpF2OYmJAg,sgro:om&ved=0ahUKEwig-piL04_PAhVoBMAKHeTvDR8QnUAIBA

Original Poster

matth9999

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Switching-Board-3-5mm-audio-input-A-B-Group-input-Switch-Select-output-/131577938159?hash=item1ea2a800ef:g:9awAAOSw~gRVzKQdNeed to arrange your own box for this

Looks complicated but might work, thanks!

Original Poster

brendanhickey

many modern pc speakers have a 3.5mm input on the back and also have a … many modern pc speakers have a 3.5mm input on the back and also have a 3.5mm input on the side of a speaker for plugging in iphone and stuff. if you plug both pc's in sound will play out of both speakers. almost every pc speakers I've seen is like this.

Wow it works, thanks I have used the headphone jack on the speakers before but not the one next to it, I always assumed it was a microphone port for some reason. I may still get a kvm with audio but this is a good solution for now
    Edited by: "Zek" 14th Sep 2016

Original Poster

philphil61

How's the experience with the kvm swtch? Are they worth the money?I have … How's the experience with the kvm swtch? Are they worth the money?I have similar setup Acer Revo M1601 and main PC but I currently use Input Director - means I have to leave Acer Revo (the Master) always powered on but it does work OK except I can't get Input Director to boot on startup Win10 (before password login) I use a spare bluetooth mini keyboard to login and then I'm OKJust curious if it's worth the investment?

I'd say it's worth while, the one I have was £3 or £4 from china (it's the most common 2 port design on ebay) then I got 2x 99p usb printer type cables and plugged my USB mouse and keyboard in and it worked. I was looking at getting a USB port sharing device but they all only had one port, I guess I could have maybe used a unpowered hub with it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Battery drain on iOS 111112
      2. Extractor fan blown? (excuse the pun)11
      3. Biscuit addiction1954
      4. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?11

See more discussions