Groups

2 year warranty standard on ALL consumer goods (not 12 months)

Listening to radio 5 Live today there was a very interesting follow up on an article on the previous days broadcast.

In a nutshell it appears that an EU directive (1999/44/EC) means that ALL consumer goods come with a standard 2 years warranty, not the 12 months that we all assume it comes with. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

More details here

ec.europa.eu/pub…htm

Hope it helps someone

9 Comments

Does this work for manufacturers as well?

Samsung have refused to repair my laser printer because it's 15 months old. Even thought the print unit that has gone faulty has a 20,000 print lifespan, but has only printed 1170 prints!! They point blank refused to send a repair bod out to look at it. :x

Cheeky bar stewards a couple of days later had the nerve to then phone me up to ask if their customer services rep had answered all my questions ok!! :x

this has always been the case you could argue say for christmas lights on for 8 weeks a year 5 years beyond purchase under reasonable lifespan

The daily mail article says that for England etc the law is 6 years.

"EU law creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years".

does anyone have any clarification on this?

stefor;5334294

Does this work for manufacturers as well? Samsung have refused to repair … Does this work for manufacturers as well? Samsung have refused to repair my laser printer because it's 15 months old. Even thought the print unit that has gone faulty has a 20,000 print lifespan, but has only printed 1170 prints!! They point blank refused to send a repair bod out to look at it. :xCheeky bar stewards a couple of days later had the nerve to then phone me up to ask if their customer services rep had answered all my questions ok!! :x

You should take it up with the retailer who then have to deal with the manufacturer.

You have up to 6 years to claim in the UK , that dosent mean its a 6 year warranty, if you bought a 1k TV you would expect it to last longer than say 4 years but you wouldnt expect a £10 Kettle to last 4 years.

i love this law and have mentioned i previously on here i always chant it its amazing how retailers make out they no nothing yet when you state the eu legislation act they suddenly know about it

Does the law specify on which the onus lies upon?
    As while I know UK retailer law has 12months in stone what is to stop them saying ah that EU Directive falls upon the manufacturer not the retailer?

An example or two of this in use would be nice.

Banned

its not law in the UK yet. the EU directive was set up in 1999 but funnily enough, its one of the few directives this government hasnt yet enshrined in uk law.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened22
      2. Can anyone share their Sky Go with me for £7.50 a month?45
      3. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed11
      4. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA55

See more discussions