1. GOV.UK Deals
Groups

£20 less road tax to pay the DVLA if you keep your car off the road one night. (£190 is the best saving so far)

FOR OUR TWO CARS IT WORKS OUT AT OVER A 5% SAVING AVERAGED OVER THE NEXT TWO YEARS - AND PROBABLY EACH YEAR AFTER

HIGHEST SAVING POSTED IN THE THREAD IS £190 FOR ONE YEAR - IS YOURS MORE?

My road tax is due at the end of April and will cost £190 - it was £185 last year, and remains at £185 until March.

Next year it will cost me £205.

However, the dates of the increases are the start of April, so if I cash in my current tax on the last day of February, and fill in their online SORN appliction, then buy a new tax disk the following day - I will miss out on the £5 increase this year - and the £15 the following year.

I will only need to do this once to being my renewal date ahead of the tax increase date.

So as its likely to be increased every year on this date, its likely to continue making me a saving every year UNLESS they suddenly start to reduce the cost of road tax, and when this happens they will have launched the new service - where a flying pig pops round to collect your newly reduced tax directly from you at home.

The link to check what your savings will be will not take you to the DVLA - but to a site showing the car tax rates for each model - as they vary so presumably do the savings.

You will need to scroll the page in the link down until you see "Car tax search"

parkers.co.uk/car…ax/

52 Comments

I'd have to drive mine into the front livingroom, so I'll have to pay the full amount

So this is only any use if your tax renewal happens to be around April the 1st?

yaaaawn

Banned

dont understand the way to do it !!

Not worth the effort

Well, sure it'll help someone. Good idea.

Original Poster

Benjimoron;4188328

So this is only any use if your tax renewal happens to be around April … So this is only any use if your tax renewal happens to be around April the 1st?

They send you a refund - so its viable for any time.

In the example above - they will send me back two months tax.

However, if you had only bought 6 months tax - which comes with a 10% surcharge in price - the savings would not be as high.

The bottom line is it pays to have your tax paid each year just before the increase - as from my example here - it will save me over 5% of the cost of my tax averaged over the two years.

My tax disc runs out at the end of March but I'm not sure if I buy a new tax disc in March for the start of April whether I'll pay the new price or the old price..?

Predikuesi;4188318

I'd have to drive mine into the front livingroom, so I'll have to pay the … I'd have to drive mine into the front livingroom, so I'll have to pay the full amount

Me too, the TV will look good on the bonnet though...

nice theory, but having experienced utter incompetence on the part of the DVLA in dealing with SORN requests twice in the past, I'd expect a 'failure to renew' fine in the post and a long fight to get out of the fine.

Twice I've taken different cars off the road and submitted all the correct forms in plenty of time and then refunded the remaining tax on the disc, twice I've been issued a fine and had a real fight to prove I did everything the right way.

How do you cash in your tax disk? If you fill in the online sorn will you automatically get the refund? Didnt think they gave refunds!

Hot!
    if I can be bothered....
    No one likes to pay more Tax
    Can I cash in my old Disc at the Post Office?

and how is this a "deal"? just asking because us mere mortals are constantly reminded by "solar flares" to limit contributions to deals as the hotukdeals title suggest?

Im gutted,

My Audi was registered on the 1st of april 2001 [ or whatever date they are doing it from ] and will go up from £210 to £400!

Was thinking about doing this but totally forgot, so thanks for the reminder

Have some heat

mikeyp;4188483

How do you cash in your tax disk? If you fill in the online sorn will … How do you cash in your tax disk? If you fill in the online sorn will you automatically get the refund? Didnt think they gave refunds!

yeah if you send in your tax disc to dvla they refund you the month thats left so to get all of feb back you would have to make sure it reaches them before the end of jan

my car was registered on Jan 2001 ne nor ne nor neeeee nor!!

fixed £120 a year

do you actually save anything or just delay paying the increase until the following march ?

il have a look into this!

bambu;4188610

yeah if you send in your tax disc to dvla they refund you the month thats … yeah if you send in your tax disc to dvla they refund you the month thats left so to get all of feb back you would have to make sure it reaches them before the end of jan

tempted to do this as mine is due in April, but alot of fuss to save a few quid.

Take it I cant take this into post office for a refund as some1 else suggested?

Original Poster

thatscheap;4188509

Im gutted,My Audi was registered on the 1st of april 2001 [ or whatever … Im gutted,My Audi was registered on the 1st of april 2001 [ or whatever date they are doing it from ] and will go up from £210 to £400! Was thinking about doing this but totally forgot, so thanks for the reminderHave some heat

What was the saving for the other year?

mikeyp;4188667

tempted to do this as mine is due in April, but alot of fuss to save a … tempted to do this as mine is due in April, but alot of fuss to save a few quid.Take it I cant take this into post office for a refund as some1 else suggested?

no not as far as im aware, when i scrapped my poorly car it still had 2 months tax on,i had to send the tax disc away to DVLA and got the refund back in post, you get the form from the PO

thatscheap;4188509

Im gutted,My Audi was registered on the 1st of april 2001 [ or whatever … Im gutted,My Audi was registered on the 1st of april 2001 [ or whatever date they are doing it from ] and will go up from £210 to £400! Was thinking about doing this but totally forgot, so thanks for the reminderHave some heat

Did they not postpone these massive hikes in the road tax? I've got a Galaxy and it was supposed to go up to £400 aswell, however I THINK they revised it.. Hopefully others might have more info on this.

paul1063;4188659

do you actually save anything or just delay paying the increase until the … do you actually save anything or just delay paying the increase until the following march ?

It just delays paying the increase, so not really a deal at all IMHO.

Original Poster

paul1063;4188659

do you actually save anything or just delay paying the increase until the … do you actually save anything or just delay paying the increase until the following march ?

By paying before the rise you will pay less in most cases each year, so you will pay the increase following year - but it will be less than you would have paid otherwise.

From the example given by "Lidl" - they he will save £190 by paying early. I will save £20 over the next two years.

It would be interesting to know if just buying an April tax before April would also make the saving.

thatscheap;4188509

Are you sure?
    £400 for cars Over 225 – for cars registered on or after 23/03/06
    direct.gov.uk/en/…524

Original Poster

LeeA;4188743

It just delays paying the increase, so not really a deal at all IMHO.

OK keeping it simple for you .

If you pay less each year for the rest of your life for something - its that paying less or not?

The increase is the following year - so you have delayed it - but you will save that increase until the following year.

Ooohh maybe they have revised it since I last checked. Its an RS4 so 4 wheel drive, and over 225, so which does that mean it would be? still in the over 185 cat?

thatscheap;4188861

Ooohh maybe they have revised it since I last checked. Its an RS4 so 4 … Ooohh maybe they have revised it since I last checked. Its an RS4 so 4 wheel drive, and over 225, so which does that mean it would be? still in the over 185 cat?

There seems to be a new band G for cars 225 and over, and registered ON or AFTER 23/03/06, my scooby 3L pollution making machine just squeezes in BEFORE... phew

So I think we still fall in band F cars above 185 @ £210

Hang on, registered, do they mean when it was FIRST registered, or when I registered it?

This will cause you so much hassle you'll wish you'd never bothered. The DVLA will screw up. Plus I thought they were planning to tax SORNS as well in the near future.

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo:

K

201-225

£215

L

226-255

£405

M

Over 255

£405

Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.

However don't like the word temporarily!!!

ibiza;4188835

OK keeping it simple for you .If you pay less each year for the rest of … OK keeping it simple for you .If you pay less each year for the rest of your life for something - its that paying less or not?The increase is the following year - so you have delayed it - but you will save that increase until the following year.

No need to keep it simple, it's not a deal in my opinion.

thatscheap;4188965

Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo:K201-225£215L226-255£405MOver 2 … Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo:K201-225£215L226-255£405MOver 255£405Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010.

When they say, REGISTERED, do they mean when the car was FIRST registered, or when I registered it?

You got a link for that cheap?

sburley;4188932

This will cause you so much hassle you'll wish you'd never bothered. The … This will cause you so much hassle you'll wish you'd never bothered. The DVLA will screw up. Plus I thought they were planning to tax SORNS as well in the near future.

Exactly, are you going to do this every time you change your car?

I saw it on the homepage of AOL, just had a look and the link has gone, I think its only just been announced so so be easy to find info somewhere,

Not A Deal!

Trust the government to make it so chuffin' confusing! I bet they don't understand it!

good idea to beat the system!
    No use for me though £35 a year road tax and it wont be changing either

OK, If anyone still cares, I think it's when the car was first registered, which would be 2005. So might just get away with £210 and not the wallet stinging £400+

M1,

It is the date of first registration, so if you are 2005, I think it will be still £210 or at worst £215 for you
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Free JackpotJoy Plate56
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717

See more discussions