Groups
    EXPIRED

£2000 car scrap scheme question?

You get £2000 off for scrapping your 10 year old car, but is there a minimum spend? ie do you get £2000 off a £5,000 car (if there's such a cheap new car?) or do you have to spend a certain amount to get the full £2,000?

Cheers!

23 Comments

Yes it's off any value.

You must have owned a 10 year old car for a minimum of 12 months.

ukcarscrappagescheme.co.uk/

The Kia Picanto is from £4195, incredible.

This should boost our flagging car industry :whistling:

Original Poster

greg_68;5246149

Yes it's off any value.You must have owned a 10 year old car for a … Yes it's off any value.You must have owned a 10 year old car for a minimum of 12 months.http://www.ukcarscrappagescheme.co.uk/

Cheers, thought I'd heard there was a minimum spend but that answers why I couldn't find any details about it!

does that mean if i see a car for 2,000 pounds i get it for free

Original Poster

jamespir;5246195

Gotta be brand new.

jamespir;5246195

If you see a new car for £2000 then please let us all know, will send the thermometer through the roof.

jamespir;5246195

If you see a new car for £2k don't forget to post it on here.:thumbsup:

seems a con to me surley people will be buying scrap heap cars just to get the 2000 pound off

jamespir;5246249

seems a con to me surley people will be buying scrap heap cars just to … seems a con to me surley people will be buying scrap heap cars just to get the 2000 pound off

No, you have to own the car for 12 months first.

I just sold my old banger and got a focus (used) - even with the scrappage scheme I still cant afford a brand new car

bargainhunter2009;5246337

I just sold my old banger and got a focus (used) - even with the … I just sold my old banger and got a focus (used) - even with the scrappage scheme I still cant afford a brand new car

I am not sure this scheme will make many go and buy a brand new car that weren't going to anyway.

As you say a brand new car is out of most peoples reach anyway.

Waste of money imo, a 12-18 month old is far better value.

greg_68;5246149

Yes it's off any value.

*participating dealers only.

Or that's how I read it.

Shengis;5246422

*participating dealers only.Or that's how I read it.

Not really an expert in this but I think a manufacturer would be dealing themsleves a death sentence not to be included in it.

Original Poster

Shengis;5246422

*participating dealers only.Or that's how I read it.

I think they're all taking part though aren't they? I think they have to stump up half the cash but still I can't see anyone wanting to miss out.

greg_68;5246453

Not really an expert in this but I think a manufacturer would be dealing … Not really an expert in this but I think a manufacturer would be dealing themsleves a death sentence not to be included in it.

A quick quote :

The government will provide £1000 in discounts, and manufacturers that … The government will provide £1000 in discounts, and manufacturers that agree to the scheme will provide another £1000.

But i'm pretty sure they don't have to include every model. Remember the pre-emptive citroen deal? They were only offering the bigger cars at a discount (picasso size and above). The 'city cars' weren't included. Not sure about now though tbh.

Often unused/pre-registered new cars have a heftier saving than £2k anyway and therefore represent a better buy for most.

I believe most small cars are included, flicking through my link they seem to be, including Citroen.

leasemynewcar.co.uk/ima…jpg

Means that with discount you can get that car... new for just over 2 grand!!

not bad ?

Lol ]something else the goverment have made a mess of.

It only started today as well

I did this through Citroen (their own scheme before the govt started it). Traded an R reg Fiat Brava against a new Picaasso 1.6hdi. Was well pleased to get £2000 for a car that is worth £200.

stewby;5246681

I did this through Citroen (their own scheme before the govt started it). … I did this through Citroen (their own scheme before the govt started it). Traded an R reg Fiat Brava against a new Picaasso 1.6hdi. Was well pleased to get £2000 for a car that is worth £200.

But the cars are massively overpriced so you not get such a good deal

bargainhunter2009;5250743

But the cars are massively overpriced so you not get such a good deal

£800 more than a one year old car of same spec so tbh I wouldn't say that was overpriced. Depends on what sort of car and manufacturer.

stewby;5250810

£800 more than a one year old car of same spec so tbh I wouldn't say that … £800 more than a one year old car of same spec so tbh I wouldn't say that was overpriced. Depends on what sort of car and manufacturer.

Which is also overpriced. Good luck with the leccy windows:thumbsup:

harlzter;5246500

Often unused/pre-registered new cars have a heftier saving than £2k … Often unused/pre-registered new cars have a heftier saving than £2k anyway and therefore represent a better buy for most.

I think this may be because used cars are exempt/get a lower rate of VAT than new cars?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial55
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764334
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay614
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1326

See more discussions