Expired

2011 50p coin (any experts)?

Found 6th Aug 2014
Hi, I'm hoping to find a coin expert here. I can't find a lot of information online and the royal mint so far didn't help either.

Since my daughter was born in 2011 we've been trying to get a coin set together like for the other kids of the standard issue coins. But I can't seem to come across a shield of arms 50p from 2011. The only ones on eBay are proof coins and by far too expensive.

Does anyone know if a 2011 shield of arms 50p was issued for circulation? Are the numbers different because of the Olympic coins? And has anyone got any tips how I could get hold of one? Thank you

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Original Poster
Thanks, read that before but it doesn't explain why I can't come across a 2011 shield of arms 50p in 3 years
OP, silly question but have you simply tried going to your bank and dropping say a £20 note asking for a bag of 50p? Simply take it home, sort through to find the coin you want, replace with another from your existing collection and take back to the bank to deposit the cash in your account, no net cost to you but your time. If it doesn't work the first time try again after a few days or at another branch.
Original Poster
Astec123

OP, silly question but have you simply tried going to your bank and … OP, silly question but have you simply tried going to your bank and dropping say a £20 note asking for a bag of 50p? Simply take it home, sort through to find the coin you want, replace with another from your existing collection and take back to the bank to deposit the cash in your account, no net cost to you but your time. If it doesn't work the first time try again after a few days or at another branch.

Hi, yes, quite often for the last 3 years.. Got everything apart from the 2011 one..
Original Poster
Huggett93

http://www.westminstercollection.com/p-169V/UK-50p-Royal-Shield.aspx

Thank you, doesn't specify a year though
Original Poster
Huggett93

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121394882224?nav=SEARCH

Yes I'm watching that one but £16 pounds for a 50p is a bit much
I do the same for babies born to my family/friends, and can sympathise with the waiting! will keep an eye out on my searches!
nadhaw

Yes I'm watching that one but £16 pounds for a 50p is a bit much

but they are "Definative"
The 2011 Royal Shield 50p were not circulated for public use and are only available in the 2011 Royal Mint coin sets which will include all other coins issued for that year minus all the Olympic ones. A set could set you back £100-200 so it might not be worth it. You would be better off getting an album full of all 29 Olympic games 50p's issued in 2011 and you might only pay between £50-80 for that and it would be so much better to keep.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants