Groups

2011 Macbook Pro Repair Advice (Backlight and Keyboard Replacement)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice on a Macbook Pro which I own. It has 2 issues, which are the following: The keyboard has a German layout and the backlight is not working properly; it is only lit in the centre. From the research I've done, I can buy a replacement UK keyboard for £14 or £20 with a new backlight.

My questions are:

1. Will it fit okay? It looks like all the keys are in the same position.

2. Should I buy just a replacement keyboard or one which includes a new backlight. Please let me elaborate on this below.

From my research I believe the actual backlight may be working okay, however people have alluded to there being 4 holes and it most likely isn't aligned correctly.

Thanks in advance!

3 Comments

Despite looking superficially the same keyboard layouts can vary quite a lot. See here:
    support.apple.com/en-…794
    and here:
    apple.stackexchange.com/que…ook

I replaced the keyboard on a 2011 Macbook Air, and I can tell you it is not a job for the faint hearted. The keyboard is connected to the chassis by dozens of tiny rivets, and you have to practically dismantle the entire computer to replace. This also makes it difficult to return to as before if you find out the keyboard doesn't fit. I suspect a similar era Macbook Pro will be the same.

If you can afford it, pay the extra and get the entire topcase including keyboard/touchpad. If you are going to attempt it though, get the keyboard with a backlight as it's very fiddly to seperate it from the broken keyboard (it's taped to it from memory and very fragile). In the end, I didn't bother and lived without the backlight as I can touch type.

These things were very definitely not made to be user serviceable, and it's telling that official Apple repairers will simply replace the topcase although there's probably a time consideration there.

This is a 40+ min operation btw.

Edited by: "greencat" 5th Feb

Macbook airs are infamous for the difficulty of repair.
    Macbook pro should be easier.
    ifixit will have a teardown video

Original Poster

greencat

Despite looking superficially the same keyboard layouts can vary quite a … Despite looking superficially the same keyboard layouts can vary quite a lot. See here:https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201794and here:http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124452/is-it-possible-to-replace-a-whole-keyboard-on-a-macbookI replaced the keyboard on a 2011 Macbook Air, and I can tell you it is not a job for the faint hearted. The keyboard is connected to the chassis by dozens of tiny rivets, and you have to practically dismantle the entire computer to replace. This also makes it difficult to return to as before if you find out the keyboard doesn't fit. I suspect a similar era Macbook Pro will be the same. If you can afford it, pay the extra and get the entire topcase including keyboard/touchpad. If you are going to attempt it though, get the keyboard with a backlight as it's very fiddly to seperate it from the broken keyboard (it's taped to it from memory and very fragile). In the end, I didn't bother and lived without the backlight as I can touch type. These things were very definitely not made to be user serviceable, and it's telling that official Apple repairers will simply replace the topcase although there's probably a time consideration there. This is a 40+ min operation btw.

mas99

Macbook airs are infamous for the difficulty of repair.Macbook pro should … Macbook airs are infamous for the difficulty of repair.Macbook pro should be easier.ifixit will have a teardown video

Thanks for both of your replies, they're much appreciated.

I've done some further research and the keyboards do have the same layout, for some reason the UK layout in the link you provided is not the same as the replacement keyboard - I assume the connection is the same with all.

I am quite experienced in repairs, mostly with mobile phones but I have also built and repaired several desktop PC's. I've never repaired any laptops in the past however it seems that the 2011 Macbook Pro is actually very user friendly for replacing parts, I assume the Macbook Air is a little different.

I am considering buying both a backlight and keyboard to save myself from opening it twice, just in case there is an issue with the old one - although I don't think there is, £6 isn't much extra.

Edited by: "joshp" 5th Feb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any advice on mobile networks.88
      2. How to cancel Sky subscription912
      3. Biscuit addiction2262
      4. Just an thought regarding Paypal1211

See more discussions