2016 BMW 1 Series EfficientDynamics Plus Fuel Consumption Issues

Found 19th Nov 2017

Hi guys,

Long story short:

• Took delivery of a leased BMW 1 Series EfficientDynamics Plus in June 2016.
  • Had been getting great mpg doing short non-motorway journeys mostly with about 20 miles of motorway driving per week (55mpg plus).
  • In the past 16 weeks approx I have been averaging 35mpg doing the same journeys and this includes some motorway journeys too.
  • About 2 weeks ago BMW plugged diagnostics in and found an oxygen sensor failure and replaced it. Had been told it could have been the cause and to expect the fuel consumption to improve.
  • The problem still persists and I'm lucky to get 40mpg even with motorway driving.

I'll attach the official fuel consumption figures below even though I'm aware they'll differ greatly.

All tyre pressures are fine and at the recommended pressures.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues and can think of any causes I may have missed and what the best option is now?

Thanks

Official figures:

EC Urban (mpg) 72.4

EC Extra Urban (mpg) 91.1

EC Combined (mpg) 83.1
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments
Might be better joining a Series one owners club group
on Facebook & asking mate.
Most mpg are lies.
I have a Peugeot 5008 1.6 bluehdi auto.

Ive only done 2800 mile since new 2 long motorway journeys there and back total about 1000 miles in total, the rest local journeys.
so far I’m getting 42.8 mpg.
Twice as good as my old car.
Are you sure the car wasn't just lying to you and at a service or something they updated the firmware out of fear after what happened to vw, to a more accurate one?

Are you using things like air con more or other electronics in the car during your journey even if its just plugging in a new phone.

Finally have you tried checking everything yourself? Cleaning filters, oil change, replace the sparkplugs, just generally having a look for anything suspect etc

My dad had a electronic fault on his old ford that made the dashboard cut out intermittently, he took it to the ford dealership several times and they could not find the fault, did verious pointless things and charged him for it, reluctantly he let my brother have a look, he found the electrics box for the relays or something was rusty, it clearly had never been opened and all the stuff inside was corroded because the seal had failed and rain must have been getting in for ages.

He repaired it cost him less then a tenner for parts, but because his car hadn't been fixed by an authorized ford person my dad didn't trust it and sold the car to one of my brothers friends 3 years ago and its still working fine.
Hard right foot maybe?
bigwheels14 h, 39 m ago

Most mpg are lies.I have a Peugeot 5008 1.6 bluehdi auto.Ive only done …Most mpg are lies.I have a Peugeot 5008 1.6 bluehdi auto.Ive only done 2800 mile since new 2 long motorway journeys there and back total about 1000 miles in total, the rest local journeys.so far I’m getting 42.8 mpg.Twice as good as my old car.

Why have you got a diesel if you're doing so little motorway mileage?, Dpf problems incoming.

Around town you'll get better economy in a small petrol, Diesel is only efficient once it's warmed up.
.MUFC.7 m ago

Why have you got a diesel if you're doing so little motorway mileage?, Dpf …Why have you got a diesel if you're doing so little motorway mileage?, Dpf problems incoming. Around town you'll get better economy in a small petrol, Diesel is only efficient once it's warmed up.

I Know, But need for kids etc.
I make a 1 hour motoway drive every 3/4 weeks to stop this. By holding it in 5th whit higher revs.
bigwheels3 m ago

I Know, But need for kids etc.I make a 1 hour motoway drive every 3/4 …I Know, But need for kids etc.I make a 1 hour motoway drive every 3/4 weeks to stop this. By holding it in 5th whit higher revs.

That probably won't prevent it, It's good to open up on motorway but only if the car thinks "Ok I'll go into regeneration mode", It probably would do it within that hour but it's not good even for a non dpf diesel. A medium sized petrol with turbo would be a good option.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 20th Nov 2017
Alw
.MUFC.42 m ago

That probably won't prevent it, It's good to open up on motorway but only …That probably won't prevent it, It's good to open up on motorway but only if the car thinks "Ok I'll go into regeneration mode", It probably would do it within that hour but it's not good even for a non dpf diesel. A medium sized petrol with turbo would be a good option.

Always worked with my vectra.
In jan im off to Buckie Scotland 620 miles each way I hope that will do the job.
bigwheels23 m ago

Alw Always worked with my vectra.In jan im off to Buckie Scotland 620 …Alw Always worked with my vectra.In jan im off to Buckie Scotland 620 miles each way I hope that will do the job.

Not all Vectras would have had DPF's. It will for the time being.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants