Groups

2016 Monitor advice please (X34a, PG279Q, U2717D, BDM3270QP)

Me again asking for Monitor advice please.

Background:
    Currently I own two Hanns g 28" 1900x1200 1080p monitors + a 980ti.
    I do some occasional gaming and graphic design. Games include Fallout 4, Doom, No Mans Sky, Witcher 3 etc. Graphic software includes indesign, photoshop, lightroom
    I'm wanting to go QHD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For a blowout "yay Ive build a decent computer rig" options I'm considering:
    1. Asus X34a - as a single monitor
    or
    2. Asus PG279Q - having two

Plus:
    • Widescreen gaming with X34a
    • Gsync (although never used it so don't know if I NEED it)?
    • Higher or consistent frame rates?

Negatives:
    • I don't know how real world use with graphic software will feel on a ultra widescreen with curve.
    • IPS bleed and quality control issues reported. Not cool considering the prices!
    • Price

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Or for slightly more sensible options (for my wallet and for my graphic design):
    3. Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27" - having two
    or
    4. Philips BDM3270QP 32" - having two

Plus:
    • Price (compared to first two)
    • Size of the Philips

Negatives:
    • No idea if either of these last two will be ok for gaming so would appreciate someone in the know.

I like the specs the X34 is bringing to the table I'm concerned I'd miss the two monitor real estate. Also I do some graphic design at home (indesign, photoshop, lightroom) and don't know how real world use will feel on a ultra widescreen with curve. So I'm considering two Asus PG279Q but all the reviews for modern monitors always focus on back light bleed and the "panel lottery" and I just don't think I can take the stress!

My Hanns G's are only 60 hz and TN so a jump to 100 hz or 165 hz IPS I'm sure will be amazing, but my panels also have bleed and hazing/ghosting and I really would like to avoid this again. I'm also considering two Dell UltraSharp U2717D 27" because of the report better quality control Dell has (or at least better warranty). Or Philips BDM3270QP 32" for the extra size. I realise the last two are only 60hz but I've not minded this on my current monitors.

4 Comments

dell do a good g-sync 1440p 144hz TN panel which could be a happy medium. you're nvidia card doesn't support different resolutions which may scupper you're first idea, if the card sees the ultra wide as a different resolution

The monitors you're considering other than the philips are at the exact opposite end of the DPI scale. They squeeze 60% more pixels into a slightly smaller screen.

So while you can fit a lot more content on them, that content necessarily has to be smaller physically.

Original Poster

longback2

dell do a good g-sync 1440p 144hz TN panel which could be a happy medium. … dell do a good g-sync 1440p 144hz TN panel which could be a happy medium. you're nvidia card doesn't support different resolutions which may scupper you're first idea, if the card sees the ultra wide as a different resolution

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if my post was confusing, I would be planning on owning a X34a on its own as replacement to my two monitors.

Did you mean the Dell S2716DG 27-Inch? Not sure I want to stick with TN as all reviews point to IPS being better?

Edited by: "daBluone" 18th Aug 2016

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The monitors you're considering other than the philips are at the exact … The monitors you're considering other than the philips are at the exact opposite end of the DPI scale. They squeeze 60% more pixels into a slightly smaller screen.So while you can fit a lot more content on them, that content necessarily has to be smaller physically.

Thanks for the reply. I'm wanting a QHD monitor so happy for more pixels for the sharper image. Although this maybe an issue in Photoshop as I'm running an older version without experimental scaling.
    Edited by: "daBluone" 18th Aug 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…12
      2. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1417
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***519
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047120

See more discussions